transparent flyouts

Tags:
  • Windows XP
March 4, 2005 3:04:18 PM

I'm too new to know the right terms for things, i.e. I'm
not sure of what "program" I'm using. My Dell laptop has
Windows XP. to use the internet, I go through Mozilla
Firefox. Is that what you mean?
I NEED & LOVE Mozilla: when one of my kids set me up
originally it was just straight IE. But w/in 1st week some
horrible glitch appeared which meant when I accessed my
Yahoo, or Gmail, or whatever, everything was SUPERSIZED,
things overlapped things, and I spent my whole time
scrolling scrolling scrolling to read one email, or info
site.
1 hr spent on phone w/patient Dell person: nada.
(obvious large/small page stuff or XP display setup not the
problem). Suggestion: install an anti-virus. No use:
couldn't get thru download because window texts so large
couldn't get to "next" boxes, couldn't get to scroll bars,
skid pad.
1 hr. w/patient McAfee person: nada. Sugg: reinstall.
Same prob again.
THEN! one son says screw the whole thing, install
Mozilla & get to IE through it: problem INSTANTLY cleared
up and never occured again, except that in McAfee
(installed & works fine), the callup (word?)page that
appears on my screen is Giant text and only half there, and
I can't move around in it. but no other giantism problems
so far on any site. So is Mozilla what you mean by
program? I've done absolutely no customizing on it at all,
or even know how. so shouldn't I still be in a Windows XP
mode? so what made flyouts transparent?
Also, did you ever hear of the Giant problem? It would
be great to be able to access all of my McAfee page, but
McAfee (as we know) has no clue how to fix.

More about : transparent flyouts

Anonymous
March 5, 2005 3:08:03 AM

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 12:04:18 -0800, charlie wrote:

> I'm too new to know the right terms for things, i.e. I'm
> not sure of what "program" I'm using. My Dell laptop has
> Windows XP. to use the internet, I go through Mozilla
> Firefox. Is that what you mean?
> I NEED & LOVE Mozilla: when one of my kids set me up
> originally it was just straight IE. But w/in 1st week some
> horrible glitch appeared which meant when I accessed my
> Yahoo, or Gmail, or whatever, everything was SUPERSIZED,
> things overlapped things, and I spent my whole time
> scrolling scrolling scrolling to read one email, or info
> site.
> 1 hr spent on phone w/patient Dell person: nada.
> (obvious large/small page stuff or XP display setup not the
> problem). Suggestion: install an anti-virus. No use:
> couldn't get thru download because window texts so large
> couldn't get to "next" boxes, couldn't get to scroll bars,
> skid pad.
> 1 hr. w/patient McAfee person: nada. Sugg: reinstall.
> Same prob again.
> THEN! one son says screw the whole thing, install
> Mozilla & get to IE through it: problem INSTANTLY cleared
> up and never occured again, except that in McAfee
> (installed & works fine), the callup (word?)page that
> appears on my screen is Giant text and only half there, and
> I can't move around in it. but no other giantism problems
> so far on any site. So is Mozilla what you mean by
> program? I've done absolutely no customizing on it at all,
> or even know how. so shouldn't I still be in a Windows XP
> mode? so what made flyouts transparent?
> Also, did you ever hear of the Giant problem? It would
> be great to be able to access all of my McAfee page, but
> McAfee (as we know) has no clue how to fix.

Every program on your computer has a help file. You don't need to read the
whole thing from start to finish but should at least look at the overview
portion. This will define the program's purpose and give a general idea of
how it works.

This is a good way to get familiar with what you have installed on your
system and you'll start picking up common terminology along the way.

As mentioned before, transparency in flyout menus is not a feature of
Windows. This is provided by something else. I don't know what you have
installed on your computer so can only guess that you might have an nVidia
display adapter and that somehow the setting in the software for the card
has been set to use transparencies. I don't have that brand of display card
so am not familiar with the program. I just know that it exists.

Colin posted in your other thread that there is an icon in the notification
are of the taskbar (next to the clock) for the nVidia program. Find that
icon. Double click on it to open the program that controls the
transparency. Adjust the settings. If not sure how to do that once the
program is open, look for directions in the program's Help file.

For Giantism, in an IE window: You don't mention what you've already tried
so will just make a quick suggestion. Usually it's the View setting that's
involved. Click View > Text Size> and select something smaller. Medium is
the default setting. .

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

"Sharon F" wrote:

> [...]
> installed on your computer so can only guess that you might have an nVidia
> display adapter and that somehow the setting in the software for the card
> has been set to use transparencies. I don't have that brand of display card
> so am not familiar with the program. I just know that it exists.
>
> Colin posted in your other thread that there is an icon in the notification
> are of the taskbar (next to the clock) for the nVidia program. Find that
> icon. Double click on it to open the program that controls the
> transparency. Adjust the settings. If not sure how to do that once the
> program is open, look for directions in the program's Help file.
>
> For Giantism, in an IE window: You don't mention what you've already tried
> so will just make a quick suggestion. Usually it's the View setting that's
> involved. Click View > Text Size> and select something smaller. Medium is

Related resources
March 5, 2005 4:45:02 PM

"Sharon F" wrote:

> [...]
> transparency. Adjust the settings. If not sure how to do that once the
> program is open, look for directions in the program's Help file.
>
> For Giantism, in an IE window: You don't mention what you've already tried
> so will just make a quick suggestion. Usually it's the View setting that's
> involved. Click View > Text Size> and select something smaller. Medium is
> the default setting. .
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
> Sharon--thanks for your reply. you're easy to understand! Unfortunately, the first thing that I'd done w/both Dell & McAfee support was again tryView>text size.(since they of course didn't believe I'd already changed it to smaller). It in no way corrected the Giant problem. As I said for some reason leaving IE for Mozilla did.

The only things which I have installed on my computer are Windows XP which
came installed by Dell, and what I have added myself which are Mozilla
Firefox, Microflash (I think it's called--I needed it to see some videos.),
McAfee and Adblock. I also installed two video games: Myst and Riven. (and
they actually don't run unless the appropriate disk in in.) I can't imagine
that these games in any way affect my running Windows XP. ???

I don't know what nVidia is. what kind of program is it, and could it have
entered my sytem by coming in w/some visual I downloaded? The only things
i've downloaded are some photos from my family, and some tsunami videos (for
which I needed the microflash program).

Thanks again for your help. I'm a 60 yr old grandma who got my laptop from
mykids as a present. Mainly to end their frustration that I wasn't in their
loop!
I've been using MS Word for 20 years, but this internet and email thing is
loaded with confusions!!!!
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 6:16:13 PM

nVidia is a video card, not a program. It comes with software that broadens
the user's ability to control how Windows appears. It adds transparency,
fades, and other features to menus, etc.

"charlie" <charlie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> [...]
> (and
> they actually don't run unless the appropriate disk in in.) I can't
> imagine
> that these games in any way affect my running Windows XP. ???
>
> I don't know what nVidia is. what kind of program is it, and could it
> have
> entered my sytem by coming in w/some visual I downloaded? The only things
> i've downloaded are some photos from my family, and some tsunami videos
> (for
> which I needed the microflash program).
>
> Thanks again for your help. I'm a 60 yr old grandma who got my laptop
> from
> mykids as a present. Mainly to end their frustration that I wasn't in
> their
> loop!
> I've been using MS Word for 20 years, but this internet and email thing
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 8:07:14 PM

For what its worth, so do ATI video cards. The desktop software is
installed at the customer's option.

> [...]
>> they actually don't run unless the appropriate disk in in.) I can't
>> imagine
>> that these games in any way affect my running Windows XP. ???
>>
>> I don't know what nVidia is. what kind of program is it, and could it
>> have
>> entered my sytem by coming in w/some visual I downloaded? The only
>> things
>> i've downloaded are some photos from my family, and some tsunami videos
>> (for
>> which I needed the microflash program).
>>
>> Thanks again for your help. I'm a 60 yr old grandma who got my laptop
>> from
>> mykids as a present. Mainly to end their frustration that I wasn't in
>> their
>> loop!
>> I've been using MS Word for 20 years, but this internet and email thing

Anonymous
March 6, 2005 1:37:44 PM

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 17:07:14 -0700, Colin Barnhorst wrote:

> For what its worth, so do ATI video cards. The desktop software is
> installed at the customer's option.

Thanks again, Colin. I have an ATI card but have never seen transparency
settings. I just use the basic driver/ATI control panel though. If it's in
the Catalyst control panel, I don't have that installed.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Yes. It is in Catalyst. I used to use it with an extended desktop setup.

news:o 74V4omIFHA.3500@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

!