What you have heard on this topic probably applies more to servers than
clients (desktops and laptops).

"Stan" <sorry@noname.com> wrote in message
> What is the advantage of turning off unneeded services?

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Stan" <sorry@noname.com> wrote in message
> What is the advantage of turning off unneeded services?

Hvaing more system resources for your use (e.g. RAM)

Ostensibly to speed up the boot, free up system resources, and not make the
system vulnerable to any exploits that target that service. Frankly, I don't
find disabling any default services to be of much benefit to the average
user.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Stan" <sorry@noname.com> wrote in message
> What is the advantage of turning off unneeded services?

stan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks men. So it's like disabling unneeded startup programs. Got it.
"Stan" <sorry@noname.com> wrote in message
> What is the advantage of turning off unneeded services?

Rick

Do you have the Indexing Service enabled?

--

Regards.

Gerry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Ostensibly to speed up the boot, free up system resources, and not
> make the system vulnerable to any exploits that target that service.
> Frankly, I don't find disabling any default services to be of much
> benefit to the average user.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Stan" <sorry@noname.com> wrote in message
>> What is the advantage of turning off unneeded services?

Most of the time, yes.

--

"Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@tenretnitb.com> wrote in message
> Rick
>
> Do you have the Indexing Service enabled?
>
> --
>

> Regards.
>
> Gerry
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> FCA
>
> Stourport, Worcs, England
> Enquire, plan and execute.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>> Ostensibly to speed up the boot, free up system resources, and not make
>> the system vulnerable to any exploits that target that service. Frankly,
>> I don't find disabling any default services to be of much benefit to the
>> average user.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Stan" <sorry@noname.com> wrote in message
>>> What is the advantage of turning off unneeded services?

Rick

What impact does it have on your system performance? How does it benefit
you? In what circumstances do you turn it off?

--

Regards.

Gerry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Most of the time, yes.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@tenretnitb.com> wrote in message
>> Rick
>>
>> Do you have the Indexing Service enabled?
>>
>> --
>>

>> Regards.
>>
>> Gerry
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> FCA
>>
>> Stourport, Worcs, England
>> Enquire, plan and execute.
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>

>> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Ostensibly to speed up the boot, free up system resources, and not
>>> make the system vulnerable to any exploits that target that service.
>>> Frankly, I don't find disabling any default services to be of much
>>> benefit to the average user.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best of Luck,

>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
>>> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>>
>>> "Stan" <sorry@noname.com> wrote in message

Hi Gerry,

> What impact does it have on your system performance?

None that I notice.

> How does it benefit you?

Makes file retrieval faster.

> In what circumstances do you turn it off?

During some testing of various things, to minimize chances of interference.
But that is just a general rule of thumb with a lot of things that load at
boot.