Trouble Upgrading From XP Home to XP Pro

I got a new Dell computer Nov 04 with XP Home Edition. I want to upgrade to
XP Pro. Every time I try to run the upgrade I get the following error
message... "Setup was unable to read from or write to C drive. If a virus
scanner is running, disable it then restart setup." Well I got so frustrated
that I uninstalled the A/V program and still get the same error message. Any
Ideas?
--
Kevin

If you are trying to upgrade by booting with the cd, don't. Start Home as
usual. When everything is up and running, insert the XP Pro cd and wait for
the splash screen to appear. Select Install from the splash screen and
choose upgrade and the upgrade should begin. I suspect that your Dell has a
SATA driver that the XP Pro cd rom does not recognize so booting into the
installer with the cd won't work (unless you supply the driver from a
floppy). Since the SATA controller is installed when Home is running, the
installer should not have a problem when you start it from the desktop.

"Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I got a new Dell computer Nov 04 with XP Home Edition. I want to upgrade
> XP Pro. Every time I try to run the upgrade I get the following error
> message... "Setup was unable to read from or write to C drive. If a virus
> scanner is running, disable it then restart setup." Well I got so
> frustrated
> that I uninstalled the A/V program and still get the same error message.
> Any
> Ideas?
> --
> Kevin

Thanks Colin,

I've been doing just as you say. After booting up, and from the Desktop, I
insert the Pro CD and when the splash screen comes up I hit Install. From
there I choose Upgrade, Accept the Agreement, insert key, and have tried both
with Dynamic Update and without Dynamic Update. It Collects Information,
Does Dynamic Update, Prrepares Information and Dies...... The next step would
be Install Windows.

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> If you are trying to upgrade by booting with the cd, don't. Start Home as
> usual. When everything is up and running, insert the XP Pro cd and wait for
> the splash screen to appear. Select Install from the splash screen and
> choose upgrade and the upgrade should begin. I suspect that your Dell has a
> SATA driver that the XP Pro cd rom does not recognize so booting into the
> installer with the cd won't work (unless you supply the driver from a
> floppy). Since the SATA controller is installed when Home is running, the
> installer should not have a problem when you start it from the desktop.

> "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I got a new Dell computer Nov 04 with XP Home Edition. I want to upgrade
> > XP Pro. Every time I try to run the upgrade I get the following error
> > message... "Setup was unable to read from or write to C drive. If a virus
> > scanner is running, disable it then restart setup." Well I got so
> > frustrated
> > that I uninstalled the A/V program and still get the same error message.
> > Any
> > Ideas?
> > --
> > Kevin