transfer emails from old computer using Files and Settings..

I am running out of ideas how to fix problems with newly acquired Microsoft
Windows XP Professional/ MS OFFICE 2003 - OUTLOOK. I've checked news groups
and tried all kind of advice - unsuccesfully.

THE PROBLEM:
I was able to trasfer Addresses but CANNOT TRANSFER OLD EMAIL messages from
old to new computer using Files and Settings Wizard.

MY EQUIPMENT:
My Old Computer has Outlook Express 6 on Windows 98SE.
New Computer has MS Office 2003 Outlook on Windows XP Professional with all
updates.
I am running Norton Security with all updates (yes I have tried to do
transfer with Norton Security disabled and it did not help).

MY STEPS were:
1. run Files and Setting Transfer Wizard selecting as follows:
Settings - Outlook Express
Specific Folders - none
File types - eml, msg, nws

the outcome was successful using USB memory stick.

2. when prompted to import the new account I selected in new computer Outlook:
File/Import/Outlook, Input Internet Mail and Addresses/ Outlook Express 4,5,6

the outcome: successfully created addresses, but failed to transfer old
email messages. The following message was displayed:

IMPORT ERROR: The mail folder could not be opened. If another application is
using this file, please close it and try again.
0 messages imported.

Needless to say I did not have any other application opened. What should I
do next? Please be very specific as I tried already general links and advice.
Thanks,
George

Hi,

Don't use FASTWIZ. Open Outlook Express, click file/export/messages. Load
them onto the USB stick, then invert the process in Outlook.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"GeorgeB" <GeorgeB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running out of ideas how to fix problems with newly acquired Microsoft
> Windows XP Professional/ MS OFFICE 2003 - OUTLOOK. I've checked news
> groups
> and tried all kind of advice - unsuccesfully.
>
> THE PROBLEM:
> I was able to trasfer Addresses but CANNOT TRANSFER OLD EMAIL messages
> from
> old to new computer using Files and Settings Wizard.
>
> MY EQUIPMENT:
> My Old Computer has Outlook Express 6 on Windows 98SE.
> New Computer has MS Office 2003 Outlook on Windows XP Professional with
> all
> updates.
> I am running Norton Security with all updates (yes I have tried to do
> transfer with Norton Security disabled and it did not help).
>
> MY STEPS were:
> 1. run Files and Setting Transfer Wizard selecting as follows:
> Settings - Outlook Express
> Specific Folders - none
> File types - eml, msg, nws
>
> the outcome was successful using USB memory stick.
>
> 2. when prompted to import the new account I selected in new computer
> Outlook:
> File/Import/Outlook, Input Internet Mail and Addresses/ Outlook Express
> 4,5,6
>
> the outcome: successfully created addresses, but failed to transfer old
> email messages. The following message was displayed:
>
> IMPORT ERROR: The mail folder could not be opened. If another application
> is
> using this file, please close it and try again.
> 0 messages imported.
>
> Needless to say I did not have any other application opened. What should I
> do next? Please be very specific as I tried already general links and
> advice.
> Thanks,
> George

Hi Rick,
I tried that and still have a problem.
After selecting: File/Export/Messages I got an EXPORT MESSAGE: "This will
export messages from Outlook Express to Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft
Exchange". I pressed Ok and ...nothing happened. In other words, I could not
load it to the USB stick as I was not promted with such opportunity. Then I
tried to locate any .idx .mbx files. I have found them in Windows/Application
Data/Microsoft/Outlook Express/Mail. I have copied them to the stick and
tried to import to the new computer in Outlook but again with no luck.
Any new suggestions?
cheers
George

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Don't use FASTWIZ. Open Outlook Express, click file/export/messages. Load
> them onto the USB stick, then invert the process in Outlook.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "GeorgeB" <GeorgeB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am running out of ideas how to fix problems with newly acquired Microsoft
> > Windows XP Professional/ MS OFFICE 2003 - OUTLOOK. I've checked news
> > groups
> > and tried all kind of advice - unsuccesfully.
> >
> > THE PROBLEM:
> > I was able to trasfer Addresses but CANNOT TRANSFER OLD EMAIL messages
> > from
> > old to new computer using Files and Settings Wizard.
> >
> > MY EQUIPMENT:
> > My Old Computer has Outlook Express 6 on Windows 98SE.
> > New Computer has MS Office 2003 Outlook on Windows XP Professional with
> > all
> > updates.
> > I am running Norton Security with all updates (yes I have tried to do
> > transfer with Norton Security disabled and it did not help).
> >
> > MY STEPS were:
> > 1. run Files and Setting Transfer Wizard selecting as follows:
> > Settings - Outlook Express
> > Specific Folders - none
> > File types - eml, msg, nws
> >
> > the outcome was successful using USB memory stick.
> >
> > 2. when prompted to import the new account I selected in new computer
> > Outlook:
> > File/Import/Outlook, Input Internet Mail and Addresses/ Outlook Express
> > 4,5,6
> >
> > the outcome: successfully created addresses, but failed to transfer old
> > email messages. The following message was displayed:
> >
> > IMPORT ERROR: The mail folder could not be opened. If another application
> > is
> > using this file, please close it and try again.
> > 0 messages imported.
> >
> > Needless to say I did not have any other application opened. What should I
> > do next? Please be very specific as I tried already general links and
> > advice.
> > Thanks,
> > George

Search www.google.com for "oebackupfull2.9.zip"
It will do the job for you.
Free and easy.

GeorgeB wrote:
> I am running out of ideas how to fix problems with newly acquired
> Microsoft Windows XP Professional/ MS OFFICE 2003 - OUTLOOK. I've
> checked news groups and tried all kind of advice - unsuccesfully.
>
> THE PROBLEM:
> I was able to trasfer Addresses but CANNOT TRANSFER OLD EMAIL
> messages from old to new computer using Files and Settings Wizard.
>
> MY EQUIPMENT:
> My Old Computer has Outlook Express 6 on Windows 98SE.
> New Computer has MS Office 2003 Outlook on Windows XP Professional
> with all updates.
> I am running Norton Security with all updates (yes I have tried to do
> transfer with Norton Security disabled and it did not help).
>
> MY STEPS were:
> 1. run Files and Setting Transfer Wizard selecting as follows:
> Settings - Outlook Express
> Specific Folders - none
> File types - eml, msg, nws
>
> the outcome was successful using USB memory stick.
>
> 2. when prompted to import the new account I selected in new computer
> Outlook: File/Import/Outlook, Input Internet Mail and Addresses/
> Outlook Express 4,5,6
>
> the outcome: successfully created addresses, but failed to transfer
> old
> email messages. The following message was displayed:
>
> IMPORT ERROR: The mail folder could not be opened. If another
> application is using this file, please close it and try again.
> 0 messages imported.
>
> Needless to say I did not have any other application opened. What
> should I
> do next? Please be very specific as I tried already general links and
> advice. Thanks,
> George

You'll get better answers about problems with Outlook at one of these
links:

--
Kath Adams
MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

thanks to all who anwered,
I do not know what helped but my emails finally were imported to new
computer. When I clicked on your first recommended link, immediatelly I got
promped to MIGRATE files from older Outlook Express (??? may be some patch
got downloded). I ended up with 8 duplicates of all emails (probably from all
previous failed attempts with FASTWIZ) - but that's OK I am happy.
NOw I am figuring out how to best back up my emails and the hard disk. I
spent 2 days updating all newly bought software and do not want to go through
it again!
Any suggestions regarding back-up - I heard DRIVE IMAGE is good?
Regards
George