transfer emails from old computer using Files and Settings..

I am running out of ideas how to fix problems with newly acquired Microsoft
Windows XP Professional/ MS OFFICE 2003 - OUTLOOK. I've checked news groups
and tried all kind of advice - unsuccesfully.

THE PROBLEM:
I was able to trasfer Addresses but CANNOT TRANSFER OLD EMAIL messages from
old to new computer using Files and Settings Wizard.

MY EQUIPMENT:
My Old Computer has Outlook Express 6 on Windows 98SE.
New Computer has MS Office 2003 Outlook on Windows XP Professional with all
updates.
I am running Norton Security with all updates (yes I have tried to do
transfer with Norton Security disabled and it did not help).

MY STEPS were:
1. run Files and Setting Transfer Wizard selecting as follows:
Settings - Outlook Express
Specific Folders - none
File types - eml, msg, nws

the outcome was successful using USB memory stick.

2. when prompted to import the new account I selected in new computer Outlook:
File/Import/Outlook, Input Internet Mail and Addresses/ Outlook Express 4,5,6

the outcome: successfully created addresses, but failed to transfer old
email messages. The following message was displayed:

IMPORT ERROR: The mail folder could not be opened. If another application is
using this file, please close it and try again.
0 messages imported.

Needless to say I did not have any other application opened. What should I
do next? Please be very specific as I tried already general links and advice.
Thanks,
George
5 answers Last reply
More about transfer emails computer files settings

    Hi,

    Don't use FASTWIZ. Open Outlook Express, click file/export/messages. Load
    them onto the USB stick, then invert the process in Outlook.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "GeorgeB" <GeorgeB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am running out of ideas how to fix problems with newly acquired Microsoft
    > Windows XP Professional/ MS OFFICE 2003 - OUTLOOK. I've checked news
    > groups
    > and tried all kind of advice - unsuccesfully.
    >
    > THE PROBLEM:
    > I was able to trasfer Addresses but CANNOT TRANSFER OLD EMAIL messages
    > from
    > old to new computer using Files and Settings Wizard.
    >
    > MY EQUIPMENT:
    > My Old Computer has Outlook Express 6 on Windows 98SE.
    > New Computer has MS Office 2003 Outlook on Windows XP Professional with
    > all
    > updates.
    > I am running Norton Security with all updates (yes I have tried to do
    > transfer with Norton Security disabled and it did not help).
    >
    > MY STEPS were:
    > 1. run Files and Setting Transfer Wizard selecting as follows:
    > Settings - Outlook Express
    > Specific Folders - none
    > File types - eml, msg, nws
    >
    > the outcome was successful using USB memory stick.
    >
    > 2. when prompted to import the new account I selected in new computer
    > Outlook:
    > File/Import/Outlook, Input Internet Mail and Addresses/ Outlook Express
    > 4,5,6
    >
    > the outcome: successfully created addresses, but failed to transfer old
    > email messages. The following message was displayed:
    >
    > IMPORT ERROR: The mail folder could not be opened. If another application
    > is
    > using this file, please close it and try again.
    > 0 messages imported.
    >
    > Needless to say I did not have any other application opened. What should I
    > do next? Please be very specific as I tried already general links and
    > advice.
    > Thanks,
    > George

    Hi Rick,
    I tried that and still have a problem.
    After selecting: File/Export/Messages I got an EXPORT MESSAGE: "This will
    export messages from Outlook Express to Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft
    Exchange". I pressed Ok and ...nothing happened. In other words, I could not
    load it to the USB stick as I was not promted with such opportunity. Then I
    tried to locate any .idx .mbx files. I have found them in Windows/Application
    Data/Microsoft/Outlook Express/Mail. I have copied them to the stick and
    tried to import to the new computer in Outlook but again with no luck.
    Any new suggestions?
    cheers
    George

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Don't use FASTWIZ. Open Outlook Express, click file/export/messages. Load
    > them onto the USB stick, then invert the process in Outlook.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "GeorgeB" <GeorgeB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am running out of ideas how to fix problems with newly acquired Microsoft
    > > Windows XP Professional/ MS OFFICE 2003 - OUTLOOK. I've checked news
    > > groups
    > > and tried all kind of advice - unsuccesfully.
    > >
    > > THE PROBLEM:
    > > I was able to trasfer Addresses but CANNOT TRANSFER OLD EMAIL messages
    > > from
    > > old to new computer using Files and Settings Wizard.
    > >
    > > MY EQUIPMENT:
    > > My Old Computer has Outlook Express 6 on Windows 98SE.
    > > New Computer has MS Office 2003 Outlook on Windows XP Professional with
    > > all
    > > updates.
    > > I am running Norton Security with all updates (yes I have tried to do
    > > transfer with Norton Security disabled and it did not help).
    > >
    > > MY STEPS were:
    > > 1. run Files and Setting Transfer Wizard selecting as follows:
    > > Settings - Outlook Express
    > > Specific Folders - none
    > > File types - eml, msg, nws
    > >
    > > the outcome was successful using USB memory stick.
    > >
    > > 2. when prompted to import the new account I selected in new computer
    > > Outlook:
    > > File/Import/Outlook, Input Internet Mail and Addresses/ Outlook Express
    > > 4,5,6
    > >
    > > the outcome: successfully created addresses, but failed to transfer old
    > > email messages. The following message was displayed:
    > >
    > > IMPORT ERROR: The mail folder could not be opened. If another application
    > > is
    > > using this file, please close it and try again.
    > > 0 messages imported.
    > >
    > > Needless to say I did not have any other application opened. What should I
    > > do next? Please be very specific as I tried already general links and
    > > advice.
    > > Thanks,
    > > George

    Search www.google.com for "oebackupfull2.9.zip"
    It will do the job for you.
    Free and easy.

    GeorgeB wrote:
    > I am running out of ideas how to fix problems with newly acquired
    > Microsoft Windows XP Professional/ MS OFFICE 2003 - OUTLOOK. I've
    > checked news groups and tried all kind of advice - unsuccesfully.
    >
    > THE PROBLEM:
    > I was able to trasfer Addresses but CANNOT TRANSFER OLD EMAIL
    > messages from old to new computer using Files and Settings Wizard.
    >
    > MY EQUIPMENT:
    > My Old Computer has Outlook Express 6 on Windows 98SE.
    > New Computer has MS Office 2003 Outlook on Windows XP Professional
    > with all updates.
    > I am running Norton Security with all updates (yes I have tried to do
    > transfer with Norton Security disabled and it did not help).
    >
    > MY STEPS were:
    > 1. run Files and Setting Transfer Wizard selecting as follows:
    > Settings - Outlook Express
    > Specific Folders - none
    > File types - eml, msg, nws
    >
    > the outcome was successful using USB memory stick.
    >
    > 2. when prompted to import the new account I selected in new computer
    > Outlook: File/Import/Outlook, Input Internet Mail and Addresses/
    > Outlook Express 4,5,6
    >
    > the outcome: successfully created addresses, but failed to transfer
    > old
    > email messages. The following message was displayed:
    >
    > IMPORT ERROR: The mail folder could not be opened. If another
    > application is using this file, please close it and try again.
    > 0 messages imported.
    >
    > Needless to say I did not have any other application opened. What
    > should I
    > do next? Please be very specific as I tried already general links and
    > advice. Thanks,
    > George

    You'll get better answers about problems with Outlook at one of these
    links:

    --
    Kath Adams
    MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

    thanks to all who anwered,
    I do not know what helped but my emails finally were imported to new
    computer. When I clicked on your first recommended link, immediatelly I got
    promped to MIGRATE files from older Outlook Express (??? may be some patch
    got downloded). I ended up with 8 duplicates of all emails (probably from all
    previous failed attempts with FASTWIZ) - but that's OK I am happy.
    NOw I am figuring out how to best back up my emails and the hard disk. I
    spent 2 days updating all newly bought software and do not want to go through
    it again!
    Any suggestions regarding back-up - I heard DRIVE IMAGE is good?
    Regards
    George

Outlook Computers Microsoft Windows XP