Can system fonts be restored? Help...

Is there any way to restore system fonts without doing an XP reinstall?

I found ways for '95, etc., but nothing for XP. As a former Mac user, I
didn't know any better than not to delete them, and the prospect of a
reinstall is daunting...I had much trouble previously.

I hope someone can help!

Holly

Do a repair install of Windows. The Microsoft knowledgebase does not seem
to offer a solution short of this.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341. You will
need to go to Windows Update to catch up on patches afterwards. This will
not disturb your files or settings but you should back up the system first
if you can.

"proserose" <proserose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there any way to restore system fonts without doing an XP reinstall?
>
> I found ways for '95, etc., but nothing for XP. As a former Mac user, I
> didn't know any better than not to delete them, and the prospect of a
> reinstall is daunting...I had much trouble previously.
>
> I hope someone can help!
>
> Holly

See if this helps. Go to start/control panel and click on Fonts, then click
on File and select Add New Fonts.

"proserose" <proserose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Is there any way to restore system fonts without doing an XP reinstall?

I found ways for '95, etc., but nothing for XP. As a former Mac user, I
didn't know any better than not to delete them, and the prospect of a
reinstall is daunting...I had much trouble previously.

I hope someone can help!

Holly

Thank you Raoul. I don't have a resource for the fonts...I think some of them
are proprietary(?) and can only be obtained from the restore disk. There's
not many options for a customized reinstall on the XP disk - seems to be
pretty much all or nothing.

I can't find a resource - only warnings never to delete the system fonts
(after the fact). I also cannot delete the files I installed and start
fresh...error,error, error. I'm very confused, and though I like XP very much
compared to the Mac, this is an area that seems needlessly complex. Likely
it's an operator problem.

I'm duly chastened. If someone can bail me out, I shall never presume again.
Please, please don't say I have to reinstall XP...!

Holly

"Raoul" wrote:

> See if this helps. Go to start/control panel and click on Fonts, then click
> on File and select Add New Fonts.
>
> "proserose" <proserose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there any way to restore system fonts without doing an XP reinstall?
>
> I found ways for '95, etc., but nothing for XP. As a former Mac user, I
> didn't know any better than not to delete them, and the prospect of a
> reinstall is daunting...I had much trouble previously.
>
> I hope someone can help!
>
> Holly

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 07:49:02 -0800, proserose
<proserose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

I restore the font's all the time. Restoring them is a pain, but not as much as
reinstalling the OS.

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/default.mspx <--- start here.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010346601033.aspx
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010917281033.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/links/links.aspx?type=foundries&part=1
additional fonts

What I usually do is enter a font name 'Kunstler Script' into a search at any
of the pages above and look for where it tells me which version the font came
from. In most cases all versions will have a common font.

From there you'll find links to whole packages of fonts. Can't recall them
myself.
And here's a source I use all the time. They have a program you can use to
download all the free fonts from them.
http://www.extensis.com/en/products/product_family.jsp?locale=en_US&id=1009

>Thank you Raoul. I don't have a resource for the fonts...I think some of them
>are proprietary(?) and can only be obtained from the restore disk. There's
>not many options for a customized reinstall on the XP disk - seems to be
>pretty much all or nothing.
>
>I can't find a resource - only warnings never to delete the system fonts
>(after the fact). I also cannot delete the files I installed and start
>fresh...error,error, error. I'm very confused, and though I like XP very much
>compared to the Mac, this is an area that seems needlessly complex. Likely
>it's an operator problem.
>
>I'm duly chastened. If someone can bail me out, I shall never presume again.
>Please, please don't say I have to reinstall XP...!
>
>Holly
>

>"Raoul" wrote:
>
>> See if this helps. Go to start/control panel and click on Fonts, then click
>> on File and select Add New Fonts.
>>
>> "proserose" <proserose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Is there any way to restore system fonts without doing an XP reinstall?
>>
>> I found ways for '95, etc., but nothing for XP. As a former Mac user, I
>> didn't know any better than not to delete them, and the prospect of a
>> reinstall is daunting...I had much trouble previously.
>>
>> I hope someone can help!
>>
>> Holly

Hi Holly,

System Restore monitors font extensions (.ttf). Use System Restore to
set the system do a date before the font were deleted. How many day
has it been sense the fonts were deleted?
All About System Restore in WinXP:
http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/index.html

--
Regards,