COMPAQ PRESARIO system RECOVER (NOT restore)

This is not good, I think. I did a system RECOVER on my Compaq and LOST
EVERYTHING (WORD FILES, PHOTOS, ETC.). Is there a way to undo a system
recover? I tried to do a system restore to an earlier point but there were
none.

Please respond to gregory_ellis@email.com

Thank you
13 answers Last reply
More about compaq presario system recover restore

    In news:252312DE-A504-44D7-9982-AE83F32DD5AC@microsoft.com,
    Greg <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > This is not good, I think. I did a system RECOVER on my Compaq
    > and
    > LOST EVERYTHING (WORD FILES, PHOTOS, ETC.).

    You mean you used their recovery/restore CD? Yes, that deletes
    everything on the drive, reinstalls Windows cleanly, and puts the
    computer back to its initial factory condition.

    > Is there a way to undo a
    > system recover?

    Sorry, no.

    > I tried to do a system restore to an earlier point
    > but there were none.

    Any existing restore points were lost along with everything else.
    Besides, System Restore restores the operating System, and does
    nothing for your user files.

    I'm sorry you lost everything, but there are some lessons here to
    learn from:

    1. Why did you do this? It's almost always the wrong thing to do.

    2. The time to ask questions about something like this is
    *before* you take such steps, not afterward.

    3. If you value your data, it's critical to have a backup of it.
    If you don't, you will sooner or later lose everything again. You
    may not make the same mistake next time, but something else will
    happen. It is always possible that a hard drive crash, user
    error, nearby lightning strike, virus attack, even theft of the
    computer, can cause the loss of everything on your drive. As has
    often been said, it's not a matter of whether you will have such
    a problem, but when.

    > Please respond to gregory_ellis@email.com

    Sorry, no. No E-mail support. Ask here, read answers here.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    If you make backups of your C: drive then you can run the Backup program to
    restore the latest backup set. If you do not make backups then I am afraid
    you are out of luck. Sorry.

    "Greg" <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > This is not good, I think. I did a system RECOVER on my Compaq and LOST
    > EVERYTHING (WORD FILES, PHOTOS, ETC.). Is there a way to undo a system
    > recover? I tried to do a system restore to an earlier point but there were
    > none.
    >
    > Please respond to gregory_ellis@email.com
    >
    > Thank you

    "Greg" <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > This is not good, I think. I did a system RECOVER on my Compaq and LOST
    > EVERYTHING (WORD FILES, PHOTOS, ETC.). Is there a way to undo a system
    > recover? I tried to do a system restore to an earlier point but there were
    > none.

    You lost everything, as you essentially did a factory restore of how you got
    the PC, that is what that is for.

    > Please respond to gregory_ellis@email.com

    This is not email support, you want answers, you come back here to read
    them.

    Greg wrote:
    > This is not good, I think. I did a system RECOVER on my Compaq and LOST
    > EVERYTHING (WORD FILES, PHOTOS, ETC.). Is there a way to undo a system
    > recover? I tried to do a system restore to an earlier point but there were
    > none.
    >
    > Please respond to gregory_ellis@email.com
    >
    > Thank you

    Never Buy a Computer That Comes with a RECOVERY CD.. No such thing as
    REPAIR..

    If you did not bother to back up your important information, and you did a
    recovery, then you information is gone for good. There is no substitute for
    backing up important data.

    At least you have learned a valuable lesson....*ALWAYS* have a backup
    regimen in place.

    Please be aware that System Restore only restores certain critical files and
    is *NOT* a backup of data you have created.

    SYSTEM RESTORE IS NOT A BACKUP PROGRAM.

    Bobby

    Greg wrote:
    > This is not good, I think. I did a system RECOVER on my Compaq and
    > LOST EVERYTHING (WORD FILES, PHOTOS, ETC.). Is there a way to undo a
    > system recover? I tried to do a system restore to an earlier point
    > but there were none.
    >
    > Please respond to gregory_ellis@email.com
    >
    > Thank you

    Congratulations, Gregory! You're the winner of the March Moron of the Month
    Award (awarded monthly on a month-by-month basis). I know it's only six days
    old, but I doubt that, in the remaining 25 days, I'm going to find a more
    deserving candidate. For those who feel I'm being a little harsh on Greg,
    please bear the following points in mind: -

    1) I have seen a set of Compaq recovery discs and they come with a
    clearly marked caveat that recovery will cause the loss of all data. It also
    states this in the FM.
    2) Gregory completely failed to back up his system (and, therefore,
    deserves everything that's happened).
    3) He's posted his unadulterated email address to an international Usenet
    group.

    In short, to be brief, concise and to the point, Gregory here is a moron.

    on salads.

    NoNoBadDog! wrote:
    > If you did not bother to back up your important information, and you
    > did a recovery, then you information is gone for good. There is no
    > substitute for backing up important data.
    >
    > At least you have learned a valuable lesson....*ALWAYS* have a backup
    > regimen in place.
    >
    > Please be aware that System Restore only restores certain critical
    > files and is *NOT* a backup of data you have created.
    >
    > SYSTEM RESTORE IS NOT A BACKUP PROGRAM.
    >
    > Bobby

    And of course it doesn't work when the hard drive's been formatted! ;o)

    on salads.

    "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <noone@here.com> wrote in message
    > Greg wrote:
    >> This is not good, I think. I did a system RECOVER on my Compaq and
    >> LOST EVERYTHING (WORD FILES, PHOTOS, ETC.). Is there a way to undo a
    >> system recover? I tried to do a system restore to an earlier point
    >> but there were none.
    >>
    >> Please respond to gregory_ellis@email.com
    >>
    >> Thank you
    >

    > Congratulations, Gregory! You're the winner of the March Moron of the
    > Month Award (awarded monthly on a month-by-month basis).

    Note, that a moron would needs to explain that things given "monthly" means
    "month to month"!

    How else would it be, you big dip?

    <snipped rest of the same moronic diatribe>

    Oh, you're not being harsh, considering you're the vilest pile of slime on
    the planet. You're behaving exactly like everyone expects. Have you run out
    of four letter words in 24hoursupport.helpdesk?

    "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <noone@here.com> wrote in message
    > For those who feel I'm being a little harsh on Greg, please bear the
    > following points in mind: -
  10. couple of years out of date.. but if its useful ... if you want to lose data you'll need to do better than that!!! get a piece of file recovery software and recover data from the hard drive directly. e.g. filerecovery profession 3.2
  11. Tom said:

    "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <noone@here.com> wrote in message
    > Greg wrote:
    >> This is not good, I think. I did a system RECOVER on my Compaq and
    >> LOST EVERYTHING (WORD FILES, PHOTOS, ETC.). Is there a way to undo a
    >> system recover? I tried to do a system restore to an earlier point
    >> but there were none.
    >>
    >> Please respond to gregory_ellis@email.com
    >>
    >> Thank you
    >

    > Congratulations, Gregory! You're the winner of the March Moron of the
    > Month Award (awarded monthly on a month-by-month basis).

    Note, that a moron would needs to explain that things given "monthly" means
    "month to month"!

    How else would it be, you big dip?

    <snipped rest of the same moronic diatribe>

    No you haven't lost every thing. In windows explore, to get there right click on start and click on explore. Click the folder Documents and settings should list all the files folders you had before.
  12. Tom said:

    "Greg" <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > This is not good, I think. I did a system RECOVER on my Compaq and LOST
    > EVERYTHING (WORD FILES, PHOTOS, ETC.). Is there a way to undo a system
    > recover? I tried to do a system restore to an earlier point but there were
    > none.

    You lost everything, as you essentially did a factory restore of how you got
    the PC, that is what that is for.

    > Please respond to gregory_ellis@email.com

    This is not email support, you want answers, you come back here to read
    them.

    >i did a system recovery on my compaq also but i had a back up before the recovery. a few files with the .fbw extension and 1 .exe application. the problem is, the back up was saved in my external HDD. when i run the .exe, it tell me to insert last CD. how could i restore my files?

Presario Compaq Windows XP