Problem Disconnecting

March 5, 2005 7:23:10 PM

I'm have 2 machines - each with Win/XP Home (SP2) connected by a LAN via
crossover cable. Host comp accesses ISP, client through the LAN. File/print
sharing works fine.

I would like to automatically disconnect from my ISP after 30 minutes of
idle. I've tried quite a few settings, but I obviously don't know which one
governs. Either I disconnect upon closing an app, or never.

I would appreciate some advise on what setting(s) govern. Also, which comp
controls, host, client or either?

Thx

Dave

More about : problem disconnecting

Anonymous
March 7, 2005 11:20:46 AM

"Dave B" <djbahb@dcwis.com> wrote:

>I'm have 2 machines - each with Win/XP Home (SP2) connected by a LAN via
>crossover cable. Host comp accesses ISP, client through the LAN. File/print
>sharing works fine.
>
>I would like to automatically disconnect from my ISP after 30 minutes of
>idle. I've tried quite a few settings, but I obviously don't know which one
>governs. Either I disconnect upon closing an app, or never.

The client machine cannot initiate an auto-disconnect. See "How to
Enable the Auto Disconnect Feature in Internet Explorer"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=153965).

--
(tm)
Anonymous

Hi Thurston -
Well, it doesn't seem to work. The "How to Enable the Auto Disconnect
Feature in Internet Explorer" doesn't really address what I see in my Win XP
SP2/Internet Explorer 6.0. There are actually two places in Internet
Options/Connection so set the disconnect time. I set them both at 5 minutes
for a test, and I do not get a disconnect.

What am I doing wrong?
Dave

!