Problem Disconnecting

I'm have 2 machines - each with Win/XP Home (SP2) connected by a LAN via
crossover cable. Host comp accesses ISP, client through the LAN. File/print
sharing works fine.

I would like to automatically disconnect from my ISP after 30 minutes of
idle. I've tried quite a few settings, but I obviously don't know which one
governs. Either I disconnect upon closing an app, or never.

I would appreciate some advise on what setting(s) govern. Also, which comp
controls, host, client or either?

Thx

Dave
2 answers Last reply
More about problem disconnecting

    "Dave B" <djbahb@dcwis.com> wrote:

    >I'm have 2 machines - each with Win/XP Home (SP2) connected by a LAN via
    >crossover cable. Host comp accesses ISP, client through the LAN. File/print
    >sharing works fine.
    >
    >I would like to automatically disconnect from my ISP after 30 minutes of
    >idle. I've tried quite a few settings, but I obviously don't know which one
    >governs. Either I disconnect upon closing an app, or never.

    The client machine cannot initiate an auto-disconnect. See "How to
    Enable the Auto Disconnect Feature in Internet Explorer"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=153965).

    --
    (tm)

    Hi Thurston -
    Well, it doesn't seem to work. The "How to Enable the Auto Disconnect
    Feature in Internet Explorer" doesn't really address what I see in my Win XP
    SP2/Internet Explorer 6.0. There are actually two places in Internet
    Options/Connection so set the disconnect time. I set them both at 5 minutes
    for a test, and I do not get a disconnect.

    What am I doing wrong?
    Dave

    "Thorsten Matzner" <tmatzner@gmx.net> wrote in message
    > "Dave B" <djbahb@dcwis.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I'm have 2 machines - each with Win/XP Home (SP2) connected by a LAN via
    >>crossover cable. Host comp accesses ISP, client through the LAN.
    >>File/print
    >>sharing works fine.
    >>
    >>I would like to automatically disconnect from my ISP after 30 minutes of
    >>idle. I've tried quite a few settings, but I obviously don't know which
    >>one
    >>governs. Either I disconnect upon closing an app, or never.
    >
    > The client machine cannot initiate an auto-disconnect. See "How to
    > Enable the Auto Disconnect Feature in Internet Explorer"
    > (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=153965).
    >
    > --
    > (tm)

LAN Connection Internet Service Providers Windows XP