okietex

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
I am wondering what a really reliable, stable motherboard would be if going the route of an AMD Athlon XP cpu.

It isn't a gaming system or anything that will be really stressed but I'd like to be able to upgrade it in the future if possible. However, I don't want to spend a fortune for the entire system either.

I'd appreciate any opinions -- thanks. -ot

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
Well I find the Epox 8RDA+ 100% stable. But one thing it is very finiky about the hardware plugged into it. I had a Gigabyte Maya ATI Radeon 9000 in it and had hard reboots all the time in WinXP changed it for a GF4 MX440 and it is perfect. But once this board is set up it is 100% stable. At least in my experiance.
AREA_51

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'

rook

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
If you aren't going to be gaming I'd recomend a <A HREF="http://www.msicomputer.com/product/detail_spec/product_detail.asp?model=K7N2G-L" target="_new"> MSI K7N2G-L </A>. It is rock solid and would save you money with it's onboard graphics. Tho if you plan on doing any 3D gaming, I'd recomend a <A HREF="http://www.msicomputer.com/product/detail_spec/product_detail.asp?model=K7N2_Delta-L" target="_new"> MSI K7N2 Delta-L </A> and a decent video card. I run a K7N2-L and have had no stablity problems. <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=135293#135293" target="_new">Here</A> is a post on the system I built for my girlfriend. A good budget sytem for under $500.

"Quotes are for people that can't think for themselves"

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Ditto

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new"> My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new"> My Rig</A></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
rook offered the best advice, as the nForce2 is the most stable and also best performing choice, and MSI seems to be the best manufacturer of nForce2 boards.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
MSI nForce(1) boards were aso very good. My MSI K7N420 Pro doesn't mind mix of Generic and Kingston DDR @ 2.0-2-2-6 and no problem with ATI cards

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new"> My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new"> My Rig</A></b>

okietex

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
Thanks guys for the info. I think Rook has built something close to what I want to build ... will check those mobos out.

appreciate it -ot

okietex

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
guys, again - my objective is for a very stable box that will run all the time ... but should not get abused too much. Will run W2K or XP on it. So, here's what i've done so far and i think this will get it done. had some help reading some of the other threads over on the cpu board as well as they were talking about the MSI mobo too.

-- mobo - msi K7N2G-L
-- cpu - amd Athlon XP 2200+
-- ram - crucial 2 x 256mb PC2700 DDR

plus a case (antec lanboy), lite on cdrw, floppy, WD80gb 7200rpm HDD

So, the MSI mobo will help with the on-board NIC, the video and the sound (if I use the sound at all). On the CPU I did the RETAIL version b/c of the fan .. should I look at the OEM and just get some 3rd party fan?

That looks good doesn't it?? At Newegg, I'm priced out at around $385 (not including HDD or floppy which i have sitting next to me).

rook

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
If you aren't going to OC and the prices are close (with in $10 or so) I'd get the retail box. It usually has a better waranty (around 3 years or so I think) and OEM has like 90 days or so.

"Quotes are for people that can't think for themselves"

david__t

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2003
If you want absolute stability then I would choose Asus every time. I had the A7V133 then the A7V333 (current) and it is perfect with the added bonus of RAID, USB 2.0 and IEEE1394 all as options if you should need them.

If you want to believe those people saying that the Nforce2 is the most stable chipset out there then fine but take a trip to the Nforce Forums and you will see a whole different story. Memory compatibility problems, zero tolerance of Win98 with no drivers... the list goes on. OK all chipsets have their share of problems but not many people on the forums actually post positive comments.

The KT chipset has a long lineage with AMD chips: KT133. KT133A, KT266, KT266A, KT333, KT400 and as a result is very stable. They have even just brought out dual channel memory as Tom has just reviewed. OK KTxx chipsets are a few frames per second slower in games in single channel mode but for an office machine who cares.

As far as upgrading goes, the most you will get out of the current socket config (462) is the XP 3000+ - the newer models coming out (Athlon 64 etc) are going to be a completely different socket, by september in fact.

For less noise and heat you should swap the WD hard discs for Seagate Barracudas which run much cooler, produce far less noise and use less CPU processing time as Tom measured in a recent article.

For your heatsink and fan combo you are only limited by price. For a very low noise the best solution is a big heatsink (Thermalright / Swiftech) and an 80mm fan on low rpms (evercool / sunnon). The stock coolers do the job and shouldn't be too noisy, but the OEM CPUs are cheaper and then you can guarantee a quiet solution. To allow for slight future upgrade (3000+ is biggest with any socket 462 board you choose) I would suggest the Zalman flower or the Thermalright SLK900U combined with a 92mm fan. Both are pure copper to suck up the heat and both leave you with a wide choice of fan as well. When I build machines for people who want a good stable office PC I look no further than the Taisol CGK760092 - very large heatsink with copper insert and a fan with low noise but decent CFM rating.

Graphics card choice - any Geforce4 MX or Radeon 8500 or similar because they tend to have no fan on board which reduces noise.

PSU I would say should be the main choice - if you buy a good one now it will last you for a very long time for many future upgrades. I suggest the Enermax 450w model - spend the bucks now and you will get a silent PSU that will last for years. These come with 2 fans in them and have a variable speed dial for noisless operation.

Hope all that helps.

4.77MHz to 4.0GHz in 10 years. Imagine the space year 2020 :)

Traqr

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
... or hunt down a Superflower PSU (I know, the name. OY!) . They come off the same manufacturing line as Enermax, and are a bunch cheaper.

As for stability on the nForce2, my system is rock solid, when I'm not doing stoopid stuff (like trying to run my RAM DDR400 against my 200FSB Athlon 900! Gosh, I wonder why they never tested THAT configuration... I suspect having the RAM feed data on the half-clock is what messes the CPU up), and I have the A7N8X-DX. Incidentally, I still have PCI video from my old system; I wanted a strong platform, so I blew the budget on MoBo, PSU, and HD. The rest will come later...

<font color=blue>Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself.</font color=blue><font color=green>
<i>Canadian Flight Safety periodical, ~1987</i></font color=green>