Deleting "Past Items" on Taskbar Menu

I have several "Past Items" listed when I go into > Taskbar > Customize>
(and it keeps growing). I know you can edit them by going into your
registry but I don't feel comfortable doing that just yet. Is there
another way if deleting them? TIA
6 answers Last reply
More about deleting past items taskbar menu

    You can only control the behavior of the notifications. As you probably
    know, that is done by highlighting an item and adjusting its behavior with
    the corresponding drop down menu on the right of the item. Some items in
    the notification area are startup icons and whether or not you have to edit
    the registry to remove it depends on the particular startup program.

    To view which ones you can remove by deleting from the Startup folder and
    which must be edited in the registry, go to Start>Run and type
    msconfig
    Select the Startup tab. Look at the Location column. All of the startup
    items that are started from registry entries appear first (at least on my
    machine) and then come the items located in the startup folder, called
    "Common Startup". You may also have entries marked simply "Startup."
    Review the list to get an idea of what is where and (make a list if you
    want) then click Cancel at the bottom of the System Configuration Utility
    and post back. At least you will have some idea of what start up items you
    can affect without editing the registry. You can find all of the Common
    Startup programs in All Programs/Start Up.

    The next question is, Which items in the notification area do you not need
    there? That is, which programs can you just as well run from the All
    Programs menu at point of need? A lot of programs simply don't need to be
    run at start up.

    Some services will appear in the notification area only while they are
    running and then close. These do not appear in the Past Items list.

    Finally, what problem is the Past Items list causing you that leads you to
    want to shorten the list?

    On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 23:13:00 -0500, martymkm@webtv.net wrote:

    > I have several "Past Items" listed when I go into > Taskbar > Customize>
    > (and it keeps growing). I know you can edit them by going into your
    > registry but I don't feel comfortable doing that just yet. Is there
    > another way if deleting them? TIA

    Because of the way data is stored in this registry key, following the steps
    in this article will remove all past items (the list will rebuild over
    time.) There is no way that I know of to remove items selectively.

    How to Clear Past Items from the Notification Area

    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Thank's for the reply Colin. They are no problem really, they were past
    programs that are no longer on my pc or programs that simply ran once or
    twice or so and were stuck to the list. (There were over 50).
    Since they were "Past" items they are not listed in system config.
    utility. But I have solved the dilemma by running a little script from
    Kelly's Korner website and all is well.... Thank's for the input though!

    Thanks for the info!

    Thank's for the info on the notification area!

    You're welcome.

    > Thank's for the reply Colin. They are no problem really, they were past
    > programs that are no longer on my pc or programs that simply ran once or
    > twice or so and were stuck to the list. (There were over 50).
    > Since they were "Past" items they are not listed in system config.
    > utility. But I have solved the dilemma by running a little script from
    > Kelly's Korner website and all is well.... Thank's for the input though!

Taskbar Microsoft Customization Windows XP