cannot read floppies made with w98

cannot read floppies made with w98 on my wXP home. Anyone else have that
problem?

--
ghawthorn
23 answers Last reply

    Xp and Floppy Drives Donnot Get along.

    XP Didnot like any of the 20 Floppy drives I have tried to use
    (Different Makes) . I have even tried Know working drives out of
    win/me/98/95 Machines.
    Work Now But not later , Then Work again..
    I think XP has a FLAW in it

    Just to clarify, XP on Different Machines and NOT the SAME MAKE or
    MODEL motherboards .
    NEVER trust XP to Save your Data on Floppies !!! U WILL LOOSE that data

    I think this is why HP, Dell, Compaq.E-machine Donnot put a floppy drive
    in their new XP machines, It Cuts Down on their TECH SUPPORT PEOPLE
    trying to solve it

    ghawthorn wrote:

    > cannot read floppies made with w98 on my wXP home. Anyone else have that
    > problem?

    Floppies should read OK regardless of the version of Windows they are made
    on or read on. There are not different file system formats for floppies
    among Windows editions. If I remember right, they are all FAT16. (Maybe
    FAT12 even).

    Floppy drives generally do not get so far out of alignment that a floppy
    drive can only read floppies it has made itself and no others, but I suppose
    that can happen.

    Just to prove to yourself that XP has no problem reading or writing to a
    floppy disk made for Win98, download a Win98 setup floppy from
    bootdisk.com.
    Save the download floppy file to your desktop. Put a blank floppy in A:
    Double click the boot disk icon you downloaded to start the floppy writer
    program and the program will write a Windows 98 setup disk in A:. Finally,
    open My Computer, right click on the floppy drive icon and select Explore.
    You should see items on the floppy. Now take the floppy to the Win98
    computer and see if My Computer there can see the same thing.

    "ghawthorn" <ghawthorn.1lgj1m@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > cannot read floppies made with w98 on my wXP home. Anyone else have that
    > problem?
    >

    > --
    > ghawthorn

    It sounds to me more like a hardware problem with your computer than with
    the operating system. There is no logical reason why Windows XP cannot
    handle a floppy drive if the underlying hardware is right. I suspect you
    may have a bad floppy controller on your motherboard.

    "no one" <noone@lost.cat> wrote in message
    > Xp and Floppy Drives Donnot Get along.
    >
    > XP Didnot like any of the 20 Floppy drives I have tried to use (Different
    > Makes) . I have even tried Know working drives out of win/me/98/95
    > Machines.
    > Work Now But not later , Then Work again..
    > I think XP has a FLAW in it
    >
    > Just to clarify, XP on Different Machines and NOT the SAME MAKE or MODEL
    > motherboards .
    > NEVER trust XP to Save your Data on Floppies !!! U WILL LOOSE that data
    >
    > I think this is why HP, Dell, Compaq.E-machine Donnot put a floppy drive
    > in their new XP machines, It Cuts Down on their TECH SUPPORT PEOPLE trying
    > to solve it
    >

    > ghawthorn wrote:
    >
    >> cannot read floppies made with w98 on my wXP home. Anyone else have that
    >> problem?

    Floppies use FAT12, regardless of the iteration of Windows.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    > Floppies should read OK regardless of the version of Windows they are made
    > on or read on. There are not different file system formats for floppies
    > among Windows editions. If I remember right, they are all FAT16. (Maybe
    > FAT12 even).
    >
    > Floppy drives generally do not get so far out of alignment that a floppy
    > drive can only read floppies it has made itself and no others, but I
    > suppose that can happen.
    >
    > Just to prove to yourself that XP has no problem reading or writing to a
    > floppy disk made for Win98, download a Win98 setup floppy from
    > bootdisk.com.
    > Save the download floppy file to your desktop. Put a blank floppy in A:
    > Double click the boot disk icon you downloaded to start the floppy writer
    > program and the program will write a Windows 98 setup disk in A:.
    > Finally, open My Computer, right click on the floppy drive icon and select
    > Explore. You should see items on the floppy. Now take the floppy to the
    > Win98 computer and see if My Computer there can see the same thing.

    > "ghawthorn" <ghawthorn.1lgj1m@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> cannot read floppies made with w98 on my wXP home. Anyone else have that
    >> problem?
    >>

    >> --
    >> ghawthorn

    Thanks. It's been awhile since I even thought about it.

    In news:ghawthorn.1lgj1m@pcbanter.net,
    ghawthorn <ghawthorn.1lgj1m@pcbanter.net> typed:

    > cannot read floppies made with w98 on my wXP home. Anyone else
    > have
    > that problem?

    Many people do.

    Try formatting the floppy under Windows XP then bringing it to
    the Windows 98 computer and copying whatever data you want to it.
    Then read it on the XP computer. That will likely work.

    Also read http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=140060 and
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q309623

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    In news:uKm5yxkIFHA.696@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Rick "Nutcase" Rogers <rick@mvps.org> typed:

    > Floppies use FAT12, regardless of the iteration of Windows.

    Yes, but let me add a footnote:

    All disks, or partitions smaller than 16MB, use FAT12. Since
    standard floppies are smaller than 16MB, they use FAT12, but so
    did the old 10MB hard drives found on early PCs.

    But the non-standard very large floppies (for example, the LS120
    superdisks) that are larger than 16MB use FAT16.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in
    > message
    >> Floppies should read OK regardless of the version of Windows
    >> they
    >> are made on or read on. There are not different file system
    >> formats
    >> for floppies among Windows editions. If I remember right,
    >> they are
    >> all FAT16. (Maybe FAT12 even).
    >>
    >> Floppy drives generally do not get so far out of alignment
    >> that a
    >> floppy drive can only read floppies it has made itself and no
    >> others, but I suppose that can happen.
    >>
    >> Just to prove to yourself that XP has no problem reading or
    >> writing
    >> to a floppy disk made for Win98, download a Win98 setup floppy
    >> from
    >> bootdisk.com.
    >> Save the download floppy file to your desktop. Put a blank
    >> floppy
    >> in A: Double click the boot disk icon you downloaded to start
    >> the
    >> floppy writer program and the program will write a Windows 98
    >> setup
    >> disk in A:. Finally, open My Computer, right click on the
    >> floppy
    >> drive icon and select Explore. You should see items on the
    >> floppy. Now take the floppy to the Win98 computer and see if
    >> My Computer
    >> there can see the same thing. --
    >> "ghawthorn" <ghawthorn.1lgj1m@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> cannot read floppies made with w98 on my wXP home. Anyone
    >>> else have
    >>> that problem?
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> ghawthorn

    Thanks. My first 10mb hard drive is just a vague memory.

    In news:eA7ulynIFHA.3164@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> typed:

    > Thanks. My first 10mb hard drive is just a vague memory.

    You're welcome. My first was 20MB.

    ghawthorn wrote:
    > cannot read floppies made with w98 on my wXP home. Anyone else have
    > that problem?

    Can you read *any* floppies with the drive? If not, it suggests that
    the drive has difficulties in XP that is much more precise in what it
    expects from a floppy than was Win9x and a new drive is indicated. If
    you can read floppies, it suggests that the Win98 floppies are old and
    degraded. When did you last access these? If more that one or two
    years, they are likely to be degraded.

    Ken Blake wrote:
    || In news:eA7ulynIFHA.3164@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    || Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> typed:
    ||| Thanks. My first 10mb hard drive is just a vague memory.
    || You're welcome. My first was 20MB.

    The first PC's I used had an A and B drive - no HDD at all!

    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    Director
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

    I had CP/M machines that came with two 5.25" drives also. Single drive CP/M
    machines were...well...an adventure. My Atari 400 came without a floppy
    drive at all. It used a cassette player. I added the external floppy drive
    (for $400.00) and was amazed at the 88kb storage. I felt the surge of
    freedom from having all that space.

    Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    || I had CP/M machines that came with two 5.25" drives also. Single
    || drive CP/M machines were...well...an adventure. My Atari 400 came
    || without a floppy drive at all. It used a cassette player.

    So did the Commodore 64 IIRC!

    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    Director
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I think the C64 floppies were 128kb. The 1541 drive was the only floppy
    drive slower than constipation. :)

    > Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    > || I had CP/M machines that came with two 5.25" drives also. Single
    > || drive CP/M machines were...well...an adventure. My Atari 400 came
    > || without a floppy drive at all. It used a cassette player.
    >
    > So did the Commodore 64 IIRC!
    >
    > --
    > Interim Systems and Management Accounting
    > Gordon Burgess-Parker
    > Director
    > www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Somehow, I just knew that those comments were going to spark a "remember
    when" thread.

    Me, a Radio Shack T-100 with just a tape drive, keyboard, and monitor. I
    spent hours coding in basic just to play 2 minutes worth of a game. Didn't
    have blank tapes or anything like a hard drive, so I had to recode everytime
    I wanted to do something. As it had speakers and simple sound capabilities,
    I spent hours converting rock songs into digital code for electronic
    playback (I could read music, and figured out the timing necessary for
    converting the various note lengths). You haven't lived until you heard
    Judas Priest (the early stuff, before they went mainstream) played back in a
    nauseating electronic synthesizer.

    --

    >I think the C64 floppies were 128kb. The 1541 drive was the only floppy
    >drive slower than constipation. :)

    > "Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
    >>
    >> So did the Commodore 64 IIRC!
    >>
    >> --
    >> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
    >> Gordon Burgess-Parker
    >> Director
    >> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I was a principal of a school that ran a computer lab network on a TRS 80
    based system with a 3mb hard drive. We were in the second half of the year
    when the math teacher who ran it asked if I thought it was OK to delete some
    of the student files to make more room.

    > Somehow, I just knew that those comments were going to spark a "remember
    > when" thread.
    >
    > Me, a Radio Shack T-100 with just a tape drive, keyboard, and monitor. I
    > spent hours coding in basic just to play 2 minutes worth of a game. Didn't
    > have blank tapes or anything like a hard drive, so I had to recode
    > everytime I wanted to do something. As it had speakers and simple sound
    > capabilities, I spent hours converting rock songs into digital code for
    > electronic playback (I could read music, and figured out the timing
    > necessary for converting the various note lengths). You haven't lived
    > until you heard Judas Priest (the early stuff, before they went
    > mainstream) played back in a nauseating electronic synthesizer.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    >>I think the C64 floppies were 128kb. The 1541 drive was the only floppy
    >>drive slower than constipation. :)
    >>
    >> --
    >> "Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> So did the Commodore 64 IIRC!
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
    >>> Gordon Burgess-Parker
    >>> Director
    >>> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 17:09:13 -0500, Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:

    > You haven't lived until you heard
    > Judas Priest (the early stuff, before they went mainstream) played back in a
    > nauseating electronic synthesizer.

    This is just so... "Rick." :)
    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    <g>

    --

    > On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 17:09:13 -0500, Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
    >
    >> You haven't lived until you heard
    >> Judas Priest (the early stuff, before they went mainstream) played back
    >> in a
    >> nauseating electronic synthesizer.
    >
    > This is just so... "Rick." :)
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    || I was a principal of a school that ran a computer lab network on a
    || TRS 80 based system with a 3mb hard drive. We were in the second
    || half of the year when the math teacher who ran it asked if I thought
    || it was OK to delete some of the student files to make more room.

    We used to run the Bonus scheme at a UK subsidiary of TRW Inc (and very
    complicated it was too...) on a Commodore PET........

    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    Director
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    The Pet was Commodore's classroom computer before the C64 came along. I
    never used one, but the tombstone design facinated me.

    > Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    > || I was a principal of a school that ran a computer lab network on a
    > || TRS 80 based system with a 3mb hard drive. We were in the second
    > || half of the year when the math teacher who ran it asked if I thought
    > || it was OK to delete some of the student files to make more room.
    >
    > We used to run the Bonus scheme at a UK subsidiary of TRW Inc (and very
    > complicated it was too...) on a Commodore PET........
    >
    > --
    > Interim Systems and Management Accounting
    > Gordon Burgess-Parker
    > Director
    > www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I had the same problem with 2 XP systems, different floppy manufacturers. I
    read a long-time back on this NG a long history of the problem. Essentially
    Microsoft KB 309623 says WinXP supports only 1.44MB disk format. 3-mode FD's
    capable of reading/writing 720KB, 1.2MB and 1.44MB require special driver
    support and support for this feature is not included in Windows XP. See
    following:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309623

    The writer (and I can't recall who that was) did some exhaustive research
    and found a place for a driver. I downloaded that driver and it cured my
    no-format problem on the PC that was giving trouble. Now both PCs can format
    and read the floppy disks. Driver link (this is a download only):

    http://downloads.viaarena.com/WinXPE/Oct02/XPe_3mflp132_v10.zip

    Instructions as outlined in the writer's article:

    1. Download driver

    2. Unzip the driver - extract the file to a folder.

    3. Open Windows XP's Device Manager, expand the "Floppy disk controllers"
    heading, and double-click the listing for "Standard floppy disk controller."

    4. Click the "Driver" tab, then click the "Update Driver" button.

    5. Select the "Install from a list or specific location" radio button and
    click the "Next" button.

    6. Select the"Don't search. I will choose the driver to install." radio
    button and click the "Next" button.

    7. Click the"Have Disk" button; then, click the"Browse" button. Browse to
    the location that you extracted the files to in Step 2 and double-click the
    "VIA3MFPY.INF" file. The, click the"OK" button.

    8. You should now have "VIA 3-mode floppy controller" highlighted in the
    drivers list. Click the "Next" button to begin the driver file copy. Once
    the file copy is complete, your floppy disk drive will access 3 times
    (checking all 3 "modes"). This is normal. Click the "Finish" button when the
    driver installation is complete.

    9a. You may, or may not , have a device labeled "Unknown Device" in
    the"Other Devices" heading in Device Manager. If so, continue with step 9a.
    If not, skip to step 9b. If you have a device labeled "Unknown Device" in
    the "Other Devices" heading in Device Manager, right-click on it and select
    "Update Driver." Follow steps 5 through 8 to complete the installation of
    "Floppy disk drive" (note that the naming of the driver in the drivers list
    in step 8 may be different during this step - this is normal). Once you've
    click the "Finish" button, continue on to step 10.

    9b. If you do not have a device labeled "Unknown Device" in the "Other
    Devices" heading in Device Manager, expand the "Floppy disk drives" heading
    in Device Manager and double-click the listing for "floppy disk drive."
    Follow steps 4 through 8 to complete the installation of "Floppy disk drive"
    (note that the naming of the driver in the drivers list in step 8 may be
    different during this step - this is normal). Once you've clicked the
    "finish" button, continue on to step 10.

    10. Reboot your PC. This should let you know if all of your hard work
    REALLY paid off. Check the Device Manager one last time to be sure that you
    now have the"VIA 3-mode floppy controller listed under the "Floppy disk
    controllers" heading. Put a file on a floppy in Win98 (or another non-SP OS)
    and you should now be able to access it in Windows XP (and vice-versa)
    without issue. You made it!

    If this helps anyone, the credit isn't mine -- I wish I could recall the
    originator. There was much more background given about his research
    including another web site. Unfortunately I only have the printed out
    document. If there is any further interest in the entire article I would be
    willing to scan and post it.

    "ghawthorn" <ghawthorn.1lgj1m@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > cannot read floppies made with w98 on my wXP home. Anyone else have that
    > problem?
    >

    > --
    > ghawthorn
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Great input to the NG!

    "Gene Hora" <ams34@san.rr.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >
    > 10. Reboot your PC. This should let you know if all of your hard work
    > REALLY paid off. Check the Device Manager one last time to be sure that
    > you now have the"VIA 3-mode floppy controller listed under the "Floppy
    > disk controllers" heading. Put a file on a floppy in Win98 (or another
    > non-SP OS) and you should now be able to access it in Windows XP (and
    > vice-versa) without issue. You made it!
    >
    > If this helps anyone, the credit isn't mine -- I wish I could recall the
    > originator. There was much more background given about his research
    > including another web site. Unfortunately I only have the printed out
    > document. If there is any further interest in the entire article I would
    > be willing to scan and post it.
    >
    > "ghawthorn" <ghawthorn.1lgj1m@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> cannot read floppies made with w98 on my wXP home. Anyone else have that

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

> [...]
    >>
    >> 10. Reboot your PC. This should let you know if all of your hard work
    >> REALLY paid off. Check the Device Manager one last time to be sure that
    >> you now have the"VIA 3-mode floppy controller listed under the "Floppy
    >> disk controllers" heading. Put a file on a floppy in Win98 (or another
    >> non-SP OS) and you should now be able to access it in Windows XP (and
    >> vice-versa) without issue. You made it!
    >>
    >> If this helps anyone, the credit isn't mine -- I wish I could recall the
    >> originator. There was much more background given about his research
    >> including another web site. Unfortunately I only have the printed out
    >> document. If there is any further interest in the entire article I would
    >> be willing to scan and post it.
    >>
    >> "ghawthorn" <ghawthorn.1lgj1m@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> cannot read floppies made with w98 on my wXP home. Anyone else have that

    I managed to find the URL for a message group on which part of the writer's
    research was based:

    http://discuss.extremetech.com/n/mb/display.asp?webtag=extremetech&msg=21301.1

Microsoft Windows XP