Pentium 2 problems

bottlnut

Distinguished
May 5, 2003
I am building a pentium 2 and I have a problem , I get everything working right,
post is fine and boots fine to windows 2000 then I install the sound card into a
pci slot and it is all over with , the computer starts giving beep code of 1long and
3short beeps even when I take the sound card back out and leave it out it still beeps
(wont boot and I am still not able to get the mb to boot after taking the card out and
putting it in any other slot or even when I take the card totally out and leave it out)
and it has done this on 2 different boards(Gigabyte GA686lx4 board) and the video card
is a winfast 3d L2300 agp (permedia2) , if anyone knows the problem and solution
(do I have to buy another mb or how I can get the mb to boot again ,even after repeated trys,
without hard drives , video card ,reseat memory etc. still wont post) I have tried resetting the
bios but for some reason cannot get it to reset , (dont know if I am doing it wrong or what)
I would be very thankful for any help in resolving this problem, Jeff !!!

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
pull the bios battery and leave it out for 5 - 10 minutes see if that helps

<b><font color=red>Just because you are ignoring those voices in your head doesn't mean they aren't talking about you</b></font color=red>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Do you know if that sound card is working?

It could well be that you've damaged the system if there's a short or a fryed chip on that sound card.

---><font color=green>It ain't better if it don't work</font color=green><---

bottlnut

Distinguished
May 5, 2003
I dont know if the sound card is working or not but it seems like that may be the culprit because everything was working very well till I plugged it in and even when I pulled the sound card back out all was not working so I may have messed up the mobo but I thought there may be a reset or something to get the mobo to start working again ,I guess I am just out of luck.