Cannot Switch OE Identities

WinXP Pro
Multiple Users
IE/OE6 (version that came with XP SP1)
Two identities in OE: Main Identity and another one.

When I click on File - Switch Identities and choose the other one to switch
to, the Main Identity comes back up instead. Is there a setting I'm missing
somewhere? This is day one of WinXP, so my knowledge is limited.

Currently logged on as administrator to set up email, news, and Internet
Options. Once all settings configured, will be operating with less
privileges.
7 answers Last reply
More about cannot switch identities

    There is a bug fixed in SP2. See here:
    http://www.insideoe.com/problems/bugs.htm#noswitch

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Using invalid email address

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please tell the newsgroup how any
    suggested solution worked for you.

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com

    XpNewbie wrote:
    > WinXP Pro
    > Multiple Users
    > IE/OE6 (version that came with XP SP1)
    > Two identities in OE: Main Identity and another one.
    >
    > When I click on File - Switch Identities and choose the other one to
    > switch to, the Main Identity comes back up instead. Is there a setting
    > I'm missing somewhere? This is day one of WinXP, so my knowledge is
    > limited.
    >
    > Currently logged on as administrator to set up email, news, and Internet
    > Options. Once all settings configured, will be operating with less
    > privileges.

    All Windows Updates are installed except SP2, which I cannot install yet.

    XpNewbie wrote:
    > WinXP Pro
    > Multiple Users
    > IE/OE6 (version that came with XP SP1)
    > Two identities in OE: Main Identity and another one.
    >
    > When I click on File - Switch Identities and choose the other one to
    > switch to, the Main Identity comes back up instead. Is there a setting
    > I'm missing somewhere? This is day one of WinXP, so my knowledge is
    > limited.
    >
    > Currently logged on as administrator to set up email, news, and Internet
    > Options. Once all settings configured, will be operating with less
    > privileges.

    (Must you use multiple usernames in the newsgroups?)

    > All Windows Updates are installed except SP2, which I cannot install yet

    Why not?

    1. See http://www.insideoe.com/tips/forceid.htm

    2. One of your current Identities may be damaged, especially if one is the
    default Main Identity. Try one or more of your accounts in a new Named
    Identity (File>Identities>Add new identity). Assuming all is well, import
    messages from the old Identity before deleting it (File>Identities>Manage
    Identities).

    Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
    folders created for this purpose.

    Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

    Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
    compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
    http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm.

    Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
    corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
    --
    OE6-specific newsgroup:

    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP

    Inside Outlook Express
    http://www.insideoe.com

    ForestSpirit wrote:
    > All Windows Updates are installed except SP2, which I cannot install yet.

    > http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    >
    > XpNewbie wrote:
    >> WinXP Pro
    >> Multiple Users
    >> IE/OE6 (version that came with XP SP1)
    >> Two identities in OE: Main Identity and another one.
    >>
    >> When I click on File - Switch Identities and choose the other one to
    >> switch to, the Main Identity comes back up instead. Is there a setting
    >> I'm missing somewhere? This is day one of WinXP, so my knowledge is
    >> limited.
    >>
    >> Currently logged on as administrator to set up email, news, and Internet
    >> Options. Once all settings configured, will be operating with less
    >> privileges.

    My only username in the Microsoft newsgroups is ForestSpirit. Anything else
    was not intentional or was an anomaly.

    SP2 is now installed. Antivirus is not yet installed but will be soon. I
    didn't want to install too many programs until I got all my hardware,
    ZoneAlarm Pro firewall, and SP2 on here. I needed to wait on SP2 until for
    updated drivers. After they were installed and configured and my ZoneAlarm
    firewall was reconfigured, I put SP2 on here. I had trouble with Windows
    after installing SP2, but I guess my network needed to be reconfigured and
    the machine had to be restarted a few times. At first I could not open any
    program and had no network or internet access. Everything seems to be
    working fine now.

    Thank you for the other information. I haven't tried switching identities
    again in Outlook Express. I will see if my Identities are damaged. If they
    are, I will do what you suggest. After Outlook Express has been repaired, I
    will install the antivirus.

    ForestSpirit wrote:
    > All Windows Updates are installed except SP2, which I cannot install yet.

    > http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    >
    > XpNewbie wrote:
    >> WinXP Pro
    >> Multiple Users
    >> IE/OE6 (version that came with XP SP1)
    >> Two identities in OE: Main Identity and another one.
    >>
    >> When I click on File - Switch Identities and choose the other one to
    >> switch to, the Main Identity comes back up instead. Is there a setting
    >> I'm missing somewhere? This is day one of WinXP, so my knowledge is
    >> limited.
    >>
    >> Currently logged on as administrator to set up email, news, and Internet
    >> Options. Once all settings configured, will be operating with less
    >> privileges.

    > ...Antivirus is not yet installed but will be soon. I
    > didn't want to install too many programs until I got all my hardware,
    > ZoneAlarm Pro firewall, and SP2 on here.

    A very bad idea.

    Before You Connect a New Computer to the Internet
    http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/before_you_plug_in.html

    Protect Your PC
    ~PA Bear

    In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol (1935-2005)

    ForestSpirit wrote:
    > My only username in the Microsoft newsgroups is ForestSpirit. Anything
    > else was not intentional or was an anomaly.
    >
    > SP2 is now installed. Antivirus is not yet installed but will be soon. I
    > didn't want to install too many programs until I got all my hardware,
    > ZoneAlarm Pro firewall, and SP2 on here. I needed to wait on SP2 until for
    > updated drivers. After they were installed and configured and my ZoneAlarm
    > firewall was reconfigured, I put SP2 on here. I had trouble with Windows
    > after installing SP2, but I guess my network needed to be reconfigured and
    > the machine had to be restarted a few times. At first I could not open any
    > program and had no network or internet access. Everything seems to be
    > working fine now.
    >
    > Thank you for the other information. I haven't tried switching identities
    > again in Outlook Express. I will see if my Identities are damaged. If they
    > are, I will do what you suggest. After Outlook Express has been repaired,
    > I will install the antivirus.

    > (Must you use multiple usernames in the newsgroups?)
    >
    > > All Windows Updates are installed except SP2, which I cannot install yet
    >
    > Why not?
    >
    > 1. See http://www.insideoe.com/tips/forceid.htm
    >
    > 2. One of your current Identities may be damaged, especially if one is the
    > default Main Identity. Try one or more of your accounts in a new Named
    > Identity (File>Identities>Add new identity). Assuming all is well, import
    > messages from the old Identity before deleting it (File>Identities>Manage
    > Identities).
    >
    > Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
    > folders created for this purpose.
    >
    > Empty Deleted Items folder daily.
    >
    > Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
    > compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
    > http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm.
    >
    > Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
    > corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
    >
    > ForestSpirit wrote:
    > > All Windows Updates are installed except SP2, which I cannot install
    > > yet.
    > >

    > > "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    > >
    > > XpNewbie wrote:
    > > > WinXP Pro
    > > > Multiple Users
    > > > IE/OE6 (version that came with XP SP1)
    > > > Two identities in OE: Main Identity and another one.
    > > >
    > > > When I click on File - Switch Identities and choose the other one to
    > > > switch to, the Main Identity comes back up instead. Is there a setting
    > > > I'm missing somewhere? This is day one of WinXP, so my knowledge is
    > > > limited.
    > > >
    > > > Currently logged on as administrator to set up email, news, and
    > > > Internet Options. Once all settings configured, will be operating
    > > > with less privileges.

    Thank you for the links. Next time I reformat or reinstall XP, I will put
    the antivirus on here right away. I need File and Printer Sharing, and I do
    not want the XP firewall at all because I have ZoneAlarm (software firewall)
    and also a hardware firewall. I wish I could turn off the XP firewall
    completely and permanently so it would not re-enable itself every time I
    re-run the network setup wizard. My next step is getting the network
    reconfigured to be safer and more secure, and I will be following the XP
    networking forum for that.

    ForestSpirit wrote:
    > My only username in the Microsoft newsgroups is ForestSpirit. Anything
    > else was not intentional or was an anomaly.
    >
    > SP2 is now installed. Antivirus is not yet installed but will be soon. I
    > didn't want to install too many programs until I got all my hardware,
    > ZoneAlarm Pro firewall, and SP2 on here. I needed to wait on SP2 until for
    > updated drivers. After they were installed and configured and my ZoneAlarm
    > firewall was reconfigured, I put SP2 on here. I had trouble with Windows
    > after installing SP2, but I guess my network needed to be reconfigured and
    > the machine had to be restarted a few times. At first I could not open any
    > program and had no network or internet access. Everything seems to be
    > working fine now.
    >
    > Thank you for the other information. I haven't tried switching identities
    > again in Outlook Express. I will see if my Identities are damaged. If they
    > are, I will do what you suggest. After Outlook Express has been repaired,
    > I will install the antivirus.

    > (Must you use multiple usernames in the newsgroups?)
    >
    > > All Windows Updates are installed except SP2, which I cannot install yet
    >
    > Why not?
    >
    > 1. See http://www.insideoe.com/tips/forceid.htm
    >
    > 2. One of your current Identities may be damaged, especially if one is the
    > default Main Identity. Try one or more of your accounts in a new Named
    > Identity (File>Identities>Add new identity). Assuming all is well, import
    > messages from the old Identity before deleting it (File>Identities>Manage
    > Identities).
    >
    > Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
    > folders created for this purpose.
    >
    > Empty Deleted Items folder daily.
    >
    > Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
    > compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
    > http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm.
    >
    > Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
    > corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
    >
    > ForestSpirit wrote:
    > > All Windows Updates are installed except SP2, which I cannot install
    > > yet.
    > >

    > > "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    > >
    > > XpNewbie wrote:
    > > > WinXP Pro
    > > > Multiple Users
    > > > IE/OE6 (version that came with XP SP1)
    > > > Two identities in OE: Main Identity and another one.
    > > >
    > > > When I click on File - Switch Identities and choose the other one to
    > > > switch to, the Main Identity comes back up instead. Is there a setting
    > > > I'm missing somewhere? This is day one of WinXP, so my knowledge is
    > > > limited.
    > > >
    > > > Currently logged on as administrator to set up email, news, and
    > > > Internet Options. Once all settings configured, will be operating
    > > > with less privileges.

Internet Explorer Switch Windows XP