Accounts

New XP User.
I am slightly confused about how accounts are supposed to be set up on my
new PC.I read that administrator accounts control the settings, but when I
look up accounts in HELP & SUPPORT it says that you are not to run the
computer as a adminsitrator.I subsequently created a Limited account to use
but I found that some of the programs I installed I could not open.
Can someone explain how to set up and run accounts?

Many Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about accounts

    It is good to create 2 or more ADMIN accounts in the event the main ones
    gets corrupted.
    On XP there is no way to hack the ADMIN account.
    You will have to reinstall XP if the ADMIN account gets corrupted.

    Regards, Gary 'Doc' Adams in Louisiana

    CTLouisiana @ msn comREMOVE
    http://computerteachers.digital-mall-online.com/
    ~ Read to Learn - Write to Think ~

    "Jinja" <Jinja@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > New XP User.
    > I am slightly confused about how accounts are supposed to be set up on my
    > new PC.I read that administrator accounts control the settings, but when I
    > look up accounts in HELP & SUPPORT it says that you are not to run the
    > computer as a adminsitrator.I subsequently created a Limited account to
    use
    > but I found that some of the programs I installed I could not open.
    > Can someone explain how to set up and run accounts?
    >
    > Many Thanks

    "On XP there is no way to hack the ADMIN account."

    Really?

    Modem Ani

    Computer Teachers LC wrote:
    || It is good to create 2 or more ADMIN accounts in the event the main
    || ones gets corrupted.
    || On XP there is no way to hack the ADMIN account.

    Knoppix will do it for a start......

    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    Director
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

    Can you explain which is the main account.I created two accounts ( which have
    administrator status) during set up.Which is the main account that you say
    might get corrupted?
    Should I run my PC on a ADMIN account?

    "Computer Teachers LC" wrote:

    > It is good to create 2 or more ADMIN accounts in the event the main ones
    > gets corrupted.
    > On XP there is no way to hack the ADMIN account.
    > You will have to reinstall XP if the ADMIN account gets corrupted.
    >
    > Regards, Gary 'Doc' Adams in Louisiana
    >
    > CTLouisiana @ msn comREMOVE
    > http://computerteachers.digital-mall-online.com/
    > ~ Read to Learn - Write to Think ~
    >
    > "Jinja" <Jinja@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > New XP User.
    > > I am slightly confused about how accounts are supposed to be set up on my
    > > new PC.I read that administrator accounts control the settings, but when I
    > > look up accounts in HELP & SUPPORT it says that you are not to run the
    > > computer as a adminsitrator.I subsequently created a Limited account to
    > use
    > > but I found that some of the programs I installed I could not open.
    > > Can someone explain how to set up and run accounts?
    > >
    > > Many Thanks

Microsoft Windows XP