Win9x had ScanDisk.
WinXP has CheckDisk (not sure of spelling).

CheckDisk does not show up on my start menu. I'd like to create a shortcut
on my start menu. What is the correct file name and where is it located? Are
there two versions, one for DOS and one for Windows? If so, please tell me
the file name and path for each. Thanks.

Also, does CheckDisk only run if you have a FAT32 drive, or does it also run
on NTFS drives? My system drive is NTFS, but my data drive is FAT32 (as is
the USB FlashDrive). I have noticed that CheckDisk does not always run after
a bad shutdown. Is that because my system drive is NTFS?

Be patient. XP is new. I'm learning.

The full name in XP is Disk Error Checking, however we often refer to it by
its command line executable: chkdsk (pronounced 'checkdisk'.)

To find chkdsk, open My Computer and right-click on the drive you want to
check for errors. Select Tools from the contect menu, and there it is.

To learn about the command line executable, type chkdsk into the search box
in the Help and Support Center.

Keep in mind that there is no DOS mode in XP. The last Microsoft operating
system to be built on DOS was ME. Commencing with NT, Microsoft o/ses have a
command line environment that can execute some of the DOS commands that you
are familiar with, but this is not the same as DOS.

Error Checking works fine with FAT32, however, many of the command line
switches only work with NTFS. This is described in the Help and Support
Center.

To find the location of the command line executable, go to Start - Search
and search for chkdsk.exe.

A tip: If you suspect that your disk may have a problem, you would be better
off by checking it with the disk manufacturer's diagnostic software. Nothing
wrong with chkdsk, it's just that the manufacturer's diagnostics can be more
thorough.

Modem Ani

"ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Win9x had ScanDisk.
> WinXP has CheckDisk (not sure of spelling).
>
> CheckDisk does not show up on my start menu. I'd like to create a shortcut
> on my start menu. What is the correct file name and where is it located?
Are
> there two versions, one for DOS and one for Windows? If so, please tell me
> the file name and path for each. Thanks.
>
> Also, does CheckDisk only run if you have a FAT32 drive, or does it also
run
> on NTFS drives? My system drive is NTFS, but my data drive is FAT32 (as is
> the USB FlashDrive). I have noticed that CheckDisk does not always run
after
> a bad shutdown. Is that because my system drive is NTFS?
>
> Be patient. XP is new. I'm learning.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Win9x had ScanDisk.
> WinXP has CheckDisk (not sure of spelling).
>
> CheckDisk does not show up on my start menu. I'd like to create a shortcut
> on my start menu. What is the correct file name and where is it located?
> Are
> there two versions, one for DOS and one for Windows? If so, please tell me
> the file name and path for each. Thanks.
>
> Also, does CheckDisk only run if you have a FAT32 drive, or does it also
> run
> on NTFS drives? My system drive is NTFS, but my data drive is FAT32 (as is
> the USB FlashDrive). I have noticed that CheckDisk does not always run
> after
> a bad shutdown. Is that because my system drive is NTFS?
>
> Be patient. XP is new. I'm learning.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\chkdsk.exe

Have you tried going to "Help & Support" and keying in your questions first?
Not that people don't mind assisting you, but you do have a 'wealth' of
information right at your fingertips.

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
"Google is your Friend!"

"ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Win9x had ScanDisk.
> WinXP has CheckDisk (not sure of spelling).
>
> CheckDisk does not show up on my start menu. I'd like to create a shortcut
> on my start menu. What is the correct file name and where is it located?
Are
> there two versions, one for DOS and one for Windows? If so, please tell me
> the file name and path for each. Thanks.
>
> Also, does CheckDisk only run if you have a FAT32 drive, or does it also
run
> on NTFS drives? My system drive is NTFS, but my data drive is FAT32 (as is
> the USB FlashDrive). I have noticed that CheckDisk does not always run
after
> a bad shutdown. Is that because my system drive is NTFS?
>
> Be patient. XP is new. I'm learning.

Yes, I always check there first and try to do a search on Microsoft, google,
and the newsgroups. Sometimes I get too much info but not specific to my
questions. You guys are the experts.

"Admiral Q" <Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NOSPAM)@(SPAMNOT)hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:%23GWeP73IFHA.732@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
Have you tried going to "Help & Support" and keying in your questions first?
Not that people don't mind assisting you, but you do have a 'wealth' of
information right at your fingertips.

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
"Google is your Friend!"
www.google.com

"ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Win9x had ScanDisk.
> WinXP has CheckDisk (not sure of spelling).
>
> CheckDisk does not show up on my start menu. I'd like to create a shortcut
> on my start menu. What is the correct file name and where is it located?
Are
> there two versions, one for DOS and one for Windows? If so, please tell me
> the file name and path for each. Thanks.
>
> Also, does CheckDisk only run if you have a FAT32 drive, or does it also
run
> on NTFS drives? My system drive is NTFS, but my data drive is FAT32 (as is
> the USB FlashDrive). I have noticed that CheckDisk does not always run
after
> a bad shutdown. Is that because my system drive is NTFS?
>
> Be patient. XP is new. I'm learning.

"You guys are the experts."

Hardly. I mean, some posters could very well be experts, but this is a
public newsgroup where anyone can post, whether they know what they're
talking about or not. Caveat emptor. And not to jump all over you, but
information in my own reply came from the Help and Support Center. I was
just the librarian.

> Yes, I always check there first and try to do a search on Microsoft,
google,
> and the newsgroups. Sometimes I get too much info but not specific to my
> questions. You guys are the experts.
>

> "Admiral Q" <Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(NOSPAM)@(SPAMNOT)hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:%23GWeP73IFHA.732@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Have you tried going to "Help & Support" and keying in your questions
first?
> Not that people don't mind assisting you, but you do have a 'wealth' of
> information right at your fingertips.
>
> --
> Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
> "Google is your Friend!"
> www.google.com

> "ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Win9x had ScanDisk.
> > WinXP has CheckDisk (not sure of spelling).
> >
> > CheckDisk does not show up on my start menu. I'd like to create a
shortcut
> > on my start menu. What is the correct file name and where is it located?
> Are
> > there two versions, one for DOS and one for Windows? If so, please tell
me
> > the file name and path for each. Thanks.
> >
> > Also, does CheckDisk only run if you have a FAT32 drive, or does it also
> run
> > on NTFS drives? My system drive is NTFS, but my data drive is FAT32 (as
is
> > the USB FlashDrive). I have noticed that CheckDisk does not always run
> after
> > a bad shutdown. Is that because my system drive is NTFS?
> >
> > Be patient. XP is new. I'm learning.

Us guys includes you too. This is a peer to peer group of folks sharing
knowledge voluntarily and without any management from Microsoft. MS was
graceful to set up the system and provide server space, but for the rest it
is all yakkity yak in a crowded room.