Closed

Nero 5.5, 6.0, 6.3, 6.6

Nero 5.5 OEM does not work correctly on WinXP Pro SP1 or SP2 (Scott has SP2.
I have SP1.) It causes errors. We tried copying a CD and kept getting errors
that a CD-R or CD-RW was required, when a blank CD-R was in the drive. We
verified the source and destination drives were correct. We tried other
blank media. Same errors. Our CD-RW/DVDROM drive is a Samsung SM-352B, which
is on the XP compatibility list. All Windows Updates have been installed
(except SP2, WMP10, and Net Framework 1.1 on my machine).

What *minimum* version of Nero 6 do we need for WinXP compatibility?

I heard the minimum version was 6.3.1.25 (which is the latest Nero 6 version
before 6.6 came out). Is that still true, or is 6.6 now the minimum
compatible version? We don't necessarily need the latest version, just one
that will work. That's why I asked what minimum version will be compatible
with XP.
18 answers Last reply
More about nero

    "ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Nero 5.5 OEM does not work correctly on WinXP Pro SP1 or SP2 (Scott has
    > SP2.
    > I have SP1.) It causes errors. We tried copying a CD and kept getting
    > errors
    > that a CD-R or CD-RW was required, when a blank CD-R was in the drive. We
    > verified the source and destination drives were correct. We tried other
    > blank media. Same errors. Our CD-RW/DVDROM drive is a Samsung SM-352B,
    > which
    > is on the XP compatibility list. All Windows Updates have been installed
    > (except SP2, WMP10, and Net Framework 1.1 on my machine).
    >
    > What *minimum* version of Nero 6 do we need for WinXP compatibility?
    >
    > I heard the minimum version was 6.3.1.25 (which is the latest Nero 6
    > version
    > before 6.6 came out). Is that still true, or is 6.6 now the minimum
    > compatible version? We don't necessarily need the latest version, just one
    > that will work. That's why I asked what minimum version will be compatible
    > with XP.

    Go to Nero support and read about the previous releases. I bought the
    upgrade to 66.x.x, but the 6.6. version came out well after SP2 was
    released, so I am sure that it will work.

    Nero 5.5 OEM came with the deck, so it must be compatible with the deck. It
    just isn't compatible with XP. Worked fine in WinMe.

    "Robert Moir" <robspamtrap+msnews@gmail.com> wrote in message
    ForestSpirit wrote:
    > Nero 5.5 OEM does not work correctly on WinXP Pro SP1 or SP2 (Scott
    > has SP2. I have SP1.) It causes errors.

    It works fine, with no errors, on about 700 PCs that I manage.

    > We tried copying a CD and
    > kept getting errors that a CD-R or CD-RW was required, when a blank
    > CD-R was in the drive. We verified the source and destination drives
    > were correct. We tried other blank media. Same errors. Our
    > CD-RW/DVDROM drive is a Samsung SM-352B, which is on the XP
    > compatibility list.

    But is it on the compatability list for the version of Nero that you have?

    Rob Moir
    Website - http://www.robertmoir.co.uk
    Virtual PC 2004 FAQ - http://www.robertmoir.co.uk/win/VirtualPC2004FAQ.html
    Kazaa - Software update services for your Viruses and Spyware.

    I looked on the Nero site, and cannot determine if you can download updates
    from Nero 6.0 versions to Nero 6.6 latest, or if Nero 6.6 updates only work
    on Nero 6.6 versions.

    ForestSpirit wrote:

    > I looked on the Nero site, and cannot determine if you can download updates
    > from Nero 6.0 versions to Nero 6.6 latest, or if Nero 6.6 updates only work
    > on Nero 6.6 versions.

    Look here for SP2:
    http://www.nero.com/us/Support_News_Service_Pack_2_Inquiries.html.
    However, the link to the free update for versions earlier than 6 leads
    to the 6 update page. You may have to write Ahead to ask what's going
    on.

    For your general update questions, look here:
    http://www.nero.com/us/FAQs_Update_Upgrade.html. Someone else has
    supplied a list of price sites (thanks!), however I found it easiest and
    least costly to get a legitNero Ultra 6 CD on ebay for about $25 ppd and
    then download the latest updates.

    Gene

    Nero 5.5.10.56 works with XP, have you tried that version.
    Joan

    ForestSpirit wrote:
    > Nero 5.5 OEM does not work correctly on WinXP Pro SP1 or SP2 (Scott has SP2.
    > I have SP1.) It causes errors. We tried copying a CD and kept getting errors
    > that a CD-R or CD-RW was required, when a blank CD-R was in the drive. We
    > verified the source and destination drives were correct. We tried other
    > blank media. Same errors. Our CD-RW/DVDROM drive is a Samsung SM-352B, which
    > is on the XP compatibility list. All Windows Updates have been installed
    > (except SP2, WMP10, and Net Framework 1.1 on my machine).
    >
    > What *minimum* version of Nero 6 do we need for WinXP compatibility?
    >
    > I heard the minimum version was 6.3.1.25 (which is the latest Nero 6 version
    > before 6.6 came out). Is that still true, or is 6.6 now the minimum
    > compatible version? We don't necessarily need the latest version, just one
    > that will work. That's why I asked what minimum version will be compatible
    > with XP.

    Scott did. He tried Nero 5.5 updated to latest version. He has XP SP2 and
    keeps getting I/O errors and other errors with it. The Nero site mentions
    6.3.1.20 or 6.3.1.25 are the minimum we need for XP SP2 compatibility.

    ForestSpirit wrote:
    > Nero 5.5 OEM does not work correctly on WinXP Pro SP1 or SP2 (Scott
    > has SP2. I have SP1.) It causes errors. We tried copying a CD and
    > kept getting errors that a CD-R or CD-RW was required, when a blank
    > CD-R was in the drive. We verified the source and destination drives
    > were correct. We tried other blank media. Same errors. Our
    > CD-RW/DVDROM drive is a Samsung SM-352B, which is on the XP
    > compatibility list. All Windows Updates have been installed (except
    > SP2, WMP10, and Net Framework 1.1 on my machine).
    >
    > What *minimum* version of Nero 6 do we need for WinXP compatibility?
    >
    > I heard the minimum version was 6.3.1.25 (which is the latest Nero 6
    > version before 6.6 came out). Is that still true, or is 6.6 now the
    > minimum compatible version? We don't necessarily need the latest
    > version, just one that will work. That's why I asked what minimum
    > version will be compatible with XP.

    Joan Archer wrote

    ForestSpirit wrote:
    > Scott did. He tried Nero 5.5 updated to latest version. He has XP SP2
    > and keeps getting I/O errors and other errors with it. The Nero site
    > mentions
    > 6.3.1.20 or 6.3.1.25 are the minimum we need for XP SP2 compatibility.

    What does it matter - why not just buy the latest?
    Why would anyone want to hunt down and buy an earlier version?

    For Pricing/Opinions/Reviews on various products:
    - http://www.dealsites.net/
    - http://www.resellerratings.com/
    - http://www.epinions.com/
    - http://www.techbargains.com/
    - http://www.edealinfo.com/
    - http://www.fatwallet.com/
    - http://www.pricewatch.com/
    - http://www.couponfinders.com/

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Because we are low income and cannot afford the latest version.

    ForestSpirit wrote:
    > Because we are low income and cannot afford the latest version.

    Which is why I gave you the links.
    A little research (time investment) goes a long way.
    But I guess you are busy - so let me help you out...

    Ahead Nero:
    ($11 to $31 depending on which one you go with INCLUDING SHIPPING and with
    the first two you end up with a 7' Network Cable too.)
    REALLY Inexpensive:
    http://www.surpluscomputers.net/store/main.aspx?p=ItemDetail&item=SWW12281
    (Nero 6, must buy with "hardware".)
    http://www.surpluscomputers.net/store/main.aspx?p=ItemDetail&item=SWW12252
    (Better version - still must buy "hardware".)
    For the Hardware Component, I suggest :
    http://www.surpluscomputers.net/store/main.aspx?p=ItemDetail&item=CBL10118
    ($0.99 for a 7' Cat5e Network Cable.)

    Inexpensive:
    http://www.isellsurplus.com/product.asp?id=9067&c=30&s=161
    (No hardware component required, a little more expensive.)

    Or "No Cost" applications like:

    DeepBurner Free
    http://www.deepburner.com/

    CDBurnerXP Pro
    http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

    Or use the one built into XP and expand it with applications (free) like ISO
    Recorder:

    ISORecorder home page (with general instructions on use):
    http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

    XP Pre-SP2 version:
    http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/IsoRecorder/download.asp
    XP Post-SP2 beta version:
    http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/download/ISORecorderV2B2.zip

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    I seem to remember Nero urging upgrade to 6.3 for SP2. I did it without
    trying 6.0 first, so I don't know what would have happened.

    > ForestSpirit wrote:
    >> Nero 5.5 OEM came with the deck, so it must be compatible with the
    >> deck. It just isn't compatible with XP. Worked fine in WinMe.
    >
    > Ok, I'm getting the impression that you've done a recent upgrade from Win
    > ME to Win XP. You may need to download a upgrade for Nero 5.5 on Windows
    > XP Pro, as the install you may have may be limited, but 5.5 in general is
    > compatible with Windows XP Pro. As I've said already, I'm running Nero 5.5
    > on over 600 machines on a network, without any problems.
    >
    > Having said that - if you're willing to purchase Nero 6, I have for home
    > use and think its a fantastic product; best money i've ever spent on CD
    > writing software was on 'nero 6 reloaded'.

    > Rob Moir
    > Website - http://www.robertmoir.co.uk
    > Virtual PC 2004 FAQ -
    > http://www.robertmoir.co.uk/win/VirtualPC2004FAQ.html
    > Kazaa - Software update services for your Viruses and Spyware.

    Thank you. I will review the links more thoroughly.
    FS

    ForestSpirit wrote:
    > Because we are low income and cannot afford the latest version.

    Which is why I gave you the links.
    A little research (time investment) goes a long way.
    But I guess you are busy - so let me help you out...

    Ahead Nero:
    ($11 to $31 depending on which one you go with INCLUDING SHIPPING and with
    the first two you end up with a 7' Network Cable too.)
    REALLY Inexpensive:
    http://www.surpluscomputers.net/store/main.aspx?p=ItemDetail&item=SWW12281
    (Nero 6, must buy with "hardware".)
    http://www.surpluscomputers.net/store/main.aspx?p=ItemDetail&item=SWW12252
    (Better version - still must buy "hardware".)
    For the Hardware Component, I suggest :
    http://www.surpluscomputers.net/store/main.aspx?p=ItemDetail&item=CBL10118
    ($0.99 for a 7' Cat5e Network Cable.)

    Inexpensive:
    http://www.isellsurplus.com/product.asp?id=9067&c=30&s=161
    (No hardware component required, a little more expensive.)

    Or "No Cost" applications like:

    DeepBurner Free
    http://www.deepburner.com/

    CDBurnerXP Pro
    http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

    Or use the one built into XP and expand it with applications (free) like ISO
    Recorder:

    ISORecorder home page (with general instructions on use):
    http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

    XP Pre-SP2 version:
    http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/IsoRecorder/download.asp
    XP Post-SP2 beta version:
    http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/download/ISORecorderV2B2.zip

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Forrest,
    Nero 5.5.10.56 works with XP, over here, no problem. You may have
    other problems. This is not a free copy you need to have the express
    version before you can update it.
    TonySper

    ForestSpirit wrote:
    > Nero 5.5 OEM does not work correctly on WinXP Pro SP1 or SP2 (Scott
    > has
    SP2.
    > I have SP1.) It causes errors. We tried copying a CD and kept
    > getting
    errors
    > that a CD-R or CD-RW was required, when a blank CD-R was in the
    > drive. We
    > verified the source and destination drives were correct. We tried
    > other
    > blank media. Same errors. Our CD-RW/DVDROM drive is a Samsung
    > SM-352B,
    which
    > is on the XP compatibility list. All Windows Updates have been
    > installed
    > (except SP2, WMP10, and Net Framework 1.1 on my machine).
    >
    > What *minimum* version of Nero 6 do we need for WinXP compatibility?
    >
    > I heard the minimum version was 6.3.1.25 (which is the latest Nero 6
    version
    > before 6.6 came out). Is that still true, or is 6.6 now the minimum
    > compatible version? We don't necessarily need the latest version,
    > just one
    > that will work. That's why I asked what minimum version will be
    > compatible
    > with XP.

    It was not an upgrade install from Me to XP. It was a format and clean
    install.

    The system drive with XP Pro is NTFS. My other hard drive with data is
    FAT32. Nero is not yet installed. I wanted to install SP2 before putting too
    many programs on here.

    ForestSpirit wrote:
    > Nero 5.5 OEM does not work correctly on WinXP Pro SP1 or SP2 (Scott
    > has
    SP2.
    > I have SP1.) It causes errors. We tried copying a CD and kept
    > getting
    errors
    > that a CD-R or CD-RW was required, when a blank CD-R was in the
    > drive. We
    > verified the source and destination drives were correct. We tried
    > other
    > blank media. Same errors. Our CD-RW/DVDROM drive is a Samsung
    > SM-352B,
    which
    > is on the XP compatibility list. All Windows Updates have been
    > installed
    > (except SP2, WMP10, and Net Framework 1.1 on my machine).
    >
    > What *minimum* version of Nero 6 do we need for WinXP compatibility?
    >
    > I heard the minimum version was 6.3.1.25 (which is the latest Nero 6
    version
    > before 6.6 came out). Is that still true, or is 6.6 now the minimum
    > compatible version? We don't necessarily need the latest version,
    > just one
    > that will work. That's why I asked what minimum version will be
    > compatible
    > with XP.

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Forest,
    I am using XP Home Edition with SP2 installed and the drives are NTFS.
    I am not sure if you can install 5.5.10.56 without having a previous
    version installed on the computer. If you have a previous version I
    would load that first and then install 5.5.10.56. The later version is
    an update not an upgrade and may need the earlier version to register
    the application. Just guessing.
    TonySper

    ForestSpirit wrote:
    > Nero 5.5 OEM does not work correctly on WinXP Pro SP1 or SP2 (Scott
    > has
    SP2.
    > I have SP1.) It causes errors. We tried copying a CD and kept
    > getting
    errors
    > that a CD-R or CD-RW was required, when a blank CD-R was in the
    > drive. We
    > verified the source and destination drives were correct. We tried
    > other
    > blank media. Same errors. Our CD-RW/DVDROM drive is a Samsung
    > SM-352B,
    which
    > is on the XP compatibility list. All Windows Updates have been
    > installed
    > (except SP2, WMP10, and Net Framework 1.1 on my machine).
    >
    > What *minimum* version of Nero 6 do we need for WinXP compatibility?
    >
    > I heard the minimum version was 6.3.1.25 (which is the latest Nero 6
    version
    > before 6.6 came out). Is that still true, or is 6.6 now the minimum
    > compatible version? We don't necessarily need the latest version,
    > just one
    > that will work. That's why I asked what minimum version will be
    > compatible
    > with XP.

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I erred on my replies in this thread. I have been confusing my computer with
    Scott's in my answers, and now I am totally lost. Maybe I should just start
    over.

    One of us did an upgrade from ME to XP and left all drives as FAT32 (Scott).
    The other (me) did a clean install of XP after formatting Drive C as NTFS to
    get rid of ME and left the other hard drive as FAT32.We both have the same
    burner (Samsung SM-352B CDRW+DVDROM) in our computers. We both have all
    Windows Updates installed.

    Computer #1 (mine)

    Clean install of XP Pro SP1, Updated to SP2
    NTFS System Drive, FAT32 Data Drive
    Abit AS8 Mainboard with Intel 865PE chipset
    I have not installed Nero of any version yet, so I do not know if 5.5 will
    work or not on my machine. I was hoping to get Scott's problem resolved
    before trying to install any version of Nero on my machine.

    Computer #2 (Scott)

    Upgrade install XP Pro SP1 from Me, Updated to SP2
    FAT32 all hard drives
    QDI Mainboard (not sure of model) with SiS chipset
    He has Nero 5.5.10.56. He has gone through several CD-Rs trying to burn a CD
    and keeps getting errors that he needs to have a blank CD-R or CD-RW or he
    gets I/O errors that his drive is not available. He's beginning to suspect
    something is wrong with his burner. I'm not sure that's the case. His burner
    worked fine in Windows Me.

    He is having conflicts with his DVD software in his DVDRAM drive also since
    he upgraded to XP. Every time he opens that Mediostream software, he has to
    remove his CD-DVD drives from Device Manager, reboot, and let Windows
    autodetect them again. I told him to look for an updated version of
    Mediostream or not use it at all. He doesn't have a different mainboard to
    swap in, and Windows XP will not handle hardware changes very well if he
    ever does need to get a different model mainboard with a different chipset.
    He would basically have to format the hard drive and start from scratch,
    from what I understand, because XP would not boot (even if he cleared CMOS)
    when XP sees that the system board and chipset are different. Is that true?

    There is another thread in this forum about someone having trouble getting
    Nero to burn CDs. That person disabled a local internal cd burning service
    and then Nero worked fine for him. I do not know what that setting is or
    where it is. I posted to ask exactly what they disabled, but have not heard
    a reply. Could this be Scott's problem? Will I have to disable internal cd
    burning service on my computer also?

    Now Scott has a different mainboard than I do with a different chipset. So
    maybe I won't have to disable that setting on mine. I do not know whether to
    install Nero 5.5 on my machine or Nero 6. Please advise what you recommend
    Scott do and what you recommend I do, as far as Nero and CD burning are
    concerned.

    Very sorry for the confusion. I hope this clears things up a bit.
    ForestSpirit

    ForestSpirit wrote:
    > Nero 5.5 OEM does not work correctly on WinXP Pro SP1 or SP2 (Scott
    > has
    SP2.
    > I have SP1.) It causes errors. We tried copying a CD and kept
    > getting
    errors
    > that a CD-R or CD-RW was required, when a blank CD-R was in the
    > drive. We
    > verified the source and destination drives were correct. We tried
    > other
    > blank media. Same errors. Our CD-RW/DVDROM drive is a Samsung
    > SM-352B,
    which
    > is on the XP compatibility list. All Windows Updates have been
    > installed
    > (except SP2, WMP10, and Net Framework 1.1 on my machine).
    >
    > What *minimum* version of Nero 6 do we need for WinXP compatibility?
    >
    > I heard the minimum version was 6.3.1.25 (which is the latest Nero 6
    version
    > before 6.6 came out). Is that still true, or is 6.6 now the minimum
    > compatible version? We don't necessarily need the latest version,
    > just one
    > that will work. That's why I asked what minimum version will be
    > compatible
    > with XP.

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 05:45:00 -0800, ForestSpirit wrote:

    Have not followed the whole thread. Am just addressing the points quoted
    below:

    > He would basically have to format the hard drive and start from scratch,
    > from what I understand, because XP would not boot (even if he cleared CMOS)
    > when XP sees that the system board and chipset are different. Is that true?

    Not if he has the means to perform a repair install:
    How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;315341

    NOTE: The above article applies to retail CD or a generic OEM CD. If your
    Windows came preinstalled and your recovery media has been customized by
    the manufacturer, check your system manual for restore/repair options and
    for directions.

    > There is another thread in this forum about someone having trouble getting
    > Nero to burn CDs. That person disabled a local internal cd burning service
    > and then Nero worked fine for him. I do not know what that setting is or
    > where it is. I posted to ask exactly what they disabled, but have not heard
    > a reply. Could this be Scott's problem? Will I have to disable internal cd
    > burning service on my computer also?

    Administrative Tools> Services: You can stop the service and change the
    startup type of IMAPI from automatic to disabled. When/if you want to
    reverse the steps, just change the startup type back to what it was.

    No idea if you will have to do this too or if it will help, Scott. It's an
    easy fix to at least try since it can be reversed easily.

    Some burning programs coexist fine with XPs burning. Some need it disabled.
    If the installation of the burning program does not disable the service for
    you and you are having trouble burning CDs, you can disable IMAPI manually
    through Services as mentioned earlier. Then test to see if that change
    helped or not.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Forrest,
    Try disabling the CD from XP. Go to START > MY COMPUTER>right click
    the drive>left click properties>select the Recording tab and then
    uncheck Enable CD recording. XP wants to write to the CD with it's own
    driver and maybe that is your problem. Again only a guess.
    TonySper

    ForestSpirit wrote:
    > Nero 5.5 OEM does not work correctly on WinXP Pro SP1 or SP2 (Scott
    > has
    SP2.
    > I have SP1.) It causes errors. We tried copying a CD and kept
    > getting
    errors
    > that a CD-R or CD-RW was required, when a blank CD-R was in the
    > drive. We
    > verified the source and destination drives were correct. We tried
    > other
    > blank media. Same errors. Our CD-RW/DVDROM drive is a Samsung
    > SM-352B,
    which
    > is on the XP compatibility list. All Windows Updates have been
    > installed
    > (except SP2, WMP10, and Net Framework 1.1 on my machine).
    >
    > What *minimum* version of Nero 6 do we need for WinXP compatibility?
    >
    > I heard the minimum version was 6.3.1.25 (which is the latest Nero 6
    version
    > before 6.6 came out). Is that still true, or is 6.6 now the minimum
    > compatible version? We don't necessarily need the latest version,
    > just one
    > that will work. That's why I asked what minimum version will be
    > compatible
    > with XP.

  18. This topic has been closed by Buwish

CD-Rom Nero Compatibility Windows XP Product