Decoder for windows media player?

All I want to do is play a DVD through the Windows media player but a message
comes up : Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD
decoder is not installed on your computer.
Where do I go from here ?
Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about decoder windows media player

    How to Check if DVD Decoder Software is Installed...

    By default, Windows XP does not come with compatible DVD decoder software
    installed. To confirm if you have Windows XP-compatible DVD decoder
    software
    on your system:

    Start | Run | Type: dvdupgrd /detect | Click OK |

    A Windows dialog box will open with identifying information about the
    installed software. If No decoders found is displayed, no decoder is
    installed and you cannot play DVDs.

    Supported Software MPEG-2 DVD Decoders in Windows Media Player for Windows
    XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];306331

    Then get out your credit card....

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:A4768E74-A349-4D0F-9E53-FC333B10FC06@microsoft.com,
    pixelpup <pixelpup@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > How to Check if DVD Decoder Software is Installed...
    >
    > By default, Windows XP does not come with compatible DVD decoder software
    > installed. To confirm if you have Windows XP-compatible DVD decoder
    > software
    > on your system:
    >
    > Start | Run | Type: dvdupgrd /detect | Click OK |
    >
    > A Windows dialog box will open with identifying information about the
    > installed software. If No decoders found is displayed, no decoder is
    > installed and you cannot play DVDs.
    >
    > Supported Software MPEG-2 DVD Decoders in Windows Media Player for Windows
    > XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];306331
    >
    > Then get out your credit card....
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:A4768E74-A349-4D0F-9E53-FC333B10FC06@microsoft.com,
    > pixelpup <pixelpup@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > All I want to do is play a DVD through the Windows media player but a
    > > message comes up : Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a
    > > compatible DVD decoder is not installed on your computer.
    > > Where do I go from here ?
    > > Thanks
    >
    > Have done as advised. Windows can not detect dvdupgrd/detect. so no box is displayed !

    DVD Support in Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/windowsxp/dvdplay.aspx

    DVD Decoders for Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/windowsxp/buypacks.aspx

    Resources for troubleshooting DVD problems in Windows XP

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "pixelpup" wrote:

    | All I want to do is play a DVD through the Windows media player but a message
    | comes up : Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible DVD
    | decoder is not installed on your computer.
    | Where do I go from here ?
    | Thanks

    Then you need to purchase a DVD Decoder because you do not have one.
    Windows XP does not include a DVD decoder.

    "pixelpup" wrote:

    | Have done as advised. Windows can not detect dvdupgrd/detect. so no box is displayed !

    You'll need something like PowerDVD, or a hardware decoder card (fits in a
    PCI slot).

    "pixelpup" <pixelpup@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > All I want to do is play a DVD through the Windows media player but a
    > message
    > comes up : Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a compatible
    > DVD
    > decoder is not installed on your computer.
    > Where do I go from here ?
    > Thanks

DVD Media Player Decoder Windows XP