Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Reactivation -- Why?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 2:08:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I've been using a legit, activated copy of XP (upgrade) for about 2
years now and have the updates installed, including SP2. The last
hardware change was a new monitor in December, and before that a new
hard drive well over a year ago. Yesterday, I installed a Nero Ultra 6
and downloaded and installed all of its updates that I could before
having to reboot. Upon reboot, I was instructed to activate XP within 3
days because hardware changes had been made. Any guesses why?

Gene

More about : reactivation

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 2:18:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

They are just noting that this PC is quite different from the PC you
registered a few years ago. They want to make sure you have not installed XP
on a different PC. Reactivation should be simple.

joli

--

www.joliballew.com
www.northtexasgraphics.com
"Gene Goldenfeld" <genegold@highstream.net> wrote in message
news:422DDC08.7EF232F0@highstream.net...
> I've been using a legit, activated copy of XP (upgrade) for about 2
> years now and have the updates installed, including SP2. The last
> hardware change was a new monitor in December, and before that a new
> hard drive well over a year ago. Yesterday, I installed a Nero Ultra 6
> and downloaded and installed all of its updates that I could before
> having to reboot. Upon reboot, I was instructed to activate XP within 3
> days because hardware changes had been made. Any guesses why?
>
> Gene
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 2:18:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Not quite. The staledate for changed hardware is 120 days, not a few years
ago. Changes prior to four months ago should not matter. Changing the
monitor does not affect activation at all. Changing the primary hard drive
can, but changing other hard drives do not. Registration is a process of
registering the user of the product not the product. Registration is
immaterial to activation.

A hardware change, not a software change should be what prompts
reactivation. I don't see the kinds of hardware changes here that are
required to trigger reactivation. I think that there might have been
something go wrong as an unintended result of installing and updating
software. That does not mean Nero has anything to do with it, but
uninstalling Nero would not help, so don't panic and do that.

I agree reactivation should be simple. It should go fine over the internet.
If it not, use the phone method as prompted by the activation wizard. One
way or another you will be reactivated.

However, if reactivation does not hold (the system periodically keeps asking
for reactivation after having already accepted it), then post back for a
fix.

--
Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
(Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
"Joli Ballew" <cosmo@waymark.net> wrote in message
news:evdjYLAJFHA.4060@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> They are just noting that this PC is quite different from the PC you
> registered a few years ago. They want to make sure you have not installed
> XP on a different PC. Reactivation should be simple.
>
> joli
>
> --
>
> www.joliballew.com
> www.northtexasgraphics.com
> "Gene Goldenfeld" <genegold@highstream.net> wrote in message
> news:422DDC08.7EF232F0@highstream.net...
>> I've been using a legit, activated copy of XP (upgrade) for about 2
>> years now and have the updates installed, including SP2. The last
>> hardware change was a new monitor in December, and before that a new
>> hard drive well over a year ago. Yesterday, I installed a Nero Ultra 6
>> and downloaded and installed all of its updates that I could before
>> having to reboot. Upon reboot, I was instructed to activate XP within 3
>> days because hardware changes had been made. Any guesses why?
>>
>> Gene
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 3:04:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
news:%23UstQqAJFHA.588@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Not quite. The staledate for changed hardware is 120 days, not a few
> years ago. Changes prior to four months ago should not matter. Changing
> the monitor does not affect activation at all. Changing the primary hard
> drive can, but changing other hard drives do not. Registration is a
> process of registering the user of the product not the product.
> Registration is immaterial to activation.
>


I think you're confusing the 120-day MS database (that determines whether
activation can happen automatically, or whether you have to talk to someone
first) with the hardware hash on the computer that determines whether the to
trigger activation on the computer. The two are not the same.
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 3:44:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

That could well be. Nevertheless, I suspect the dll's related to activation
are the culprit. It sounds like they may need to be re-registered if
activation does not hold once successful. In any case the amount of urban
legend that tries to link this kind of issue with what Microsoft is doing to
crack down on misuse of OEM COAs issued by the major computer manufacturers
is getting out of hand. All that crack down has changed is that once
reactivation is triggered, consumers and businesses who have such
installations of XP from the 20 top manufacturers will not be able to
activate by phone. There has been no change to activation itself. Just the
response of the activation center when an owner of one of these mass market
computers needs to reactivate. Large numbers of the mass produced machines
are handled a different way and never have to be activated in the usual
sense at all.

--
Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
(Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
"D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:396ba1F5uim67U1@individual.net...
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
> news:%23UstQqAJFHA.588@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Not quite. The staledate for changed hardware is 120 days, not a few
>> years ago. Changes prior to four months ago should not matter. Changing
>> the monitor does not affect activation at all. Changing the primary hard
>> drive can, but changing other hard drives do not. Registration is a
>> process of registering the user of the product not the product.
>> Registration is immaterial to activation.
>>
>
>
> I think you're confusing the 120-day MS database (that determines whether
> activation can happen automatically, or whether you have to talk to
> someone first) with the hardware hash on the computer that determines
> whether the to trigger activation on the computer. The two are not the
> same.
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 6:42:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Thank you, Robert. There are a lot of urban legends floating around about
activation, especially since the recent change in the internet availability
for systems made by the top pc makers. btw, I love your VPC site.

--
Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
(Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
"Robert Moir" <robspamtrap+msnews@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23wRKr4CJFHA.4028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Joli Ballew wrote:
>> They are just noting that this PC is quite different from the PC you
>> registered a few years ago. They want to make sure you have not
>> installed XP on a different PC. Reactivation should be simple.
>
> Yes, reactivation should be simple. It should also *not* be triggered by
> the events the OP described. This is clearly yet another glitch in windows
> product activation.
>
> --
> --
> Rob Moir
> Website - http://www.robertmoir.co.uk
> Virtual PC 2004 FAQ -
> http://www.robertmoir.co.uk/win/VirtualPC2004FAQ.html
> Kazaa - Software update services for your Viruses and Spyware.
>
Anonymous
April 30, 2005 1:49:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_faq.mspx
"Gene Goldenfeld" <genegold@highstream.net> wrote in message
news:422DDC08.7EF232F0@highstream.net...
> I've been using a legit, activated copy of XP (upgrade) for about 2
> years now and have the updates installed, including SP2. The last
> hardware change was a new monitor in December, and before that a new
> hard drive well over a year ago. Yesterday, I installed a Nero Ultra 6
> and downloaded and installed all of its updates that I could before
> having to reboot. Upon reboot, I was instructed to activate XP within 3
> days because hardware changes had been made. Any guesses why?
>
> Gene
!