Reactivation -- Why?

I've been using a legit, activated copy of XP (upgrade) for about 2
years now and have the updates installed, including SP2. The last
hardware change was a new monitor in December, and before that a new
hard drive well over a year ago. Yesterday, I installed a Nero Ultra 6
and downloaded and installed all of its updates that I could before
having to reboot. Upon reboot, I was instructed to activate XP within 3
days because hardware changes had been made. Any guesses why?

Gene
6 answers Last reply
More about reactivation

    They are just noting that this PC is quite different from the PC you
    registered a few years ago. They want to make sure you have not installed XP
    on a different PC. Reactivation should be simple.

    joli

    --

    www.joliballew.com
    www.northtexasgraphics.com
    "Gene Goldenfeld" <genegold@highstream.net> wrote in message
    > I've been using a legit, activated copy of XP (upgrade) for about 2
    > years now and have the updates installed, including SP2. The last
    > hardware change was a new monitor in December, and before that a new
    > hard drive well over a year ago. Yesterday, I installed a Nero Ultra 6
    > and downloaded and installed all of its updates that I could before
    > having to reboot. Upon reboot, I was instructed to activate XP within 3
    > days because hardware changes had been made. Any guesses why?
    >
    > Gene

    Not quite. The staledate for changed hardware is 120 days, not a few years
    ago. Changes prior to four months ago should not matter. Changing the
    monitor does not affect activation at all. Changing the primary hard drive
    can, but changing other hard drives do not. Registration is a process of
    registering the user of the product not the product. Registration is
    immaterial to activation.

    A hardware change, not a software change should be what prompts
    reactivation. I don't see the kinds of hardware changes here that are
    required to trigger reactivation. I think that there might have been
    something go wrong as an unintended result of installing and updating
    software. That does not mean Nero has anything to do with it, but
    uninstalling Nero would not help, so don't panic and do that.

    I agree reactivation should be simple. It should go fine over the internet.
    If it not, use the phone method as prompted by the activation wizard. One
    way or another you will be reactivated.

    However, if reactivation does not hold (the system periodically keeps asking
    for reactivation after having already accepted it), then post back for a
    fix.

    > Not quite. The staledate for changed hardware is 120 days, not a few
    > years ago. Changes prior to four months ago should not matter. Changing
    > the monitor does not affect activation at all. Changing the primary hard
    > drive can, but changing other hard drives do not. Registration is a
    > process of registering the user of the product not the product.
    > Registration is immaterial to activation.

    I think you're confusing the 120-day MS database (that determines whether
    activation can happen automatically, or whether you have to talk to someone
    first) with the hardware hash on the computer that determines whether the to
    trigger activation on the computer. The two are not the same.

    That could well be. Nevertheless, I suspect the dll's related to activation
    are the culprit. It sounds like they may need to be re-registered if
    activation does not hold once successful. In any case the amount of urban
    legend that tries to link this kind of issue with what Microsoft is doing to
    crack down on misuse of OEM COAs issued by the major computer manufacturers
    is getting out of hand. All that crack down has changed is that once
    reactivation is triggered, consumers and businesses who have such
    installations of XP from the 20 top manufacturers will not be able to
    activate by phone. There has been no change to activation itself. Just the
    response of the activation center when an owner of one of these mass market
    computers needs to reactivate. Large numbers of the mass produced machines
    are handled a different way and never have to be activated in the usual
    sense at all.

    "D.Currie" <dmbcurrie.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >> Not quite. The staledate for changed hardware is 120 days, not a few
    >> years ago. Changes prior to four months ago should not matter. Changing
    >> the monitor does not affect activation at all. Changing the primary hard
    >> drive can, but changing other hard drives do not. Registration is a
    >> process of registering the user of the product not the product.
    >> Registration is immaterial to activation.
    >>

    > I think you're confusing the 120-day MS database (that determines whether
    > activation can happen automatically, or whether you have to talk to
    > someone first) with the hardware hash on the computer that determines
    > whether the to trigger activation on the computer. The two are not the
    > same.

    Thank you, Robert. There are a lot of urban legends floating around about
    activation, especially since the recent change in the internet availability
    for systems made by the top pc makers. btw, I love your VPC site.

    http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/activation_faq.mspx
    "Gene Goldenfeld" <genegold@highstream.net> wrote in message
    > I've been using a legit, activated copy of XP (upgrade) for about 2
    > years now and have the updates installed, including SP2. The last
    > hardware change was a new monitor in December, and before that a new
    > hard drive well over a year ago. Yesterday, I installed a Nero Ultra 6
    > and downloaded and installed all of its updates that I could before
    > having to reboot. Upon reboot, I was instructed to activate XP within 3
    > days because hardware changes had been made. Any guesses why?
    >
    > Gene

Hardware Windows XP