Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Easy way to manage mutiple users/desktops

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 12:17:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I am just using the multiple users for the first time, setting each family
member up with their own logon (including 2 kids). Is there an easy way to
put access to basic stuff on the kids, and keep the adult ones with
everything? Each time I install a new program, I'd like to know what the
easiest way to set it up is, placing access to the 2 adult accounts, but not
the kids. Is there an easy way of indicating what should startup when each
user logs onto their account?
March 8, 2005 10:14:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

www.cyberpatrol.com

this will allow you to choose which programs your kids can run, and the
ones they cannot run. plus it has many other features.



4kaz wrote:
> I am just using the multiple users for the first time, setting each family
> member up with their own logon (including 2 kids). Is there an easy way to
> put access to basic stuff on the kids, and keep the adult ones with
> everything? Each time I install a new program, I'd like to know what the
> easiest way to set it up is, placing access to the 2 adult accounts, but not
> the kids. Is there an easy way of indicating what should startup when each
> user logs onto their account?
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 10:14:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Thanks for the tip JW, but that isn't what I mean. I meant what is actually
physically accessible on their desktop, start menu, etc...not what they can
'access'...I would only put things on their desktop/startmenu that I will let
them access. Anyway, I've had cyberpatrol in the past, and it can mess up
firewalls (I know this from experience...BIG headache).

"JW" wrote:

> www.cyberpatrol.com
>
> this will allow you to choose which programs your kids can run, and the
> ones they cannot run. plus it has many other features.
>
>
>
> 4kaz wrote:
> > I am just using the multiple users for the first time, setting each family
> > member up with their own logon (including 2 kids). Is there an easy way to
> > put access to basic stuff on the kids, and keep the adult ones with
> > everything? Each time I install a new program, I'd like to know what the
> > easiest way to set it up is, placing access to the 2 adult accounts, but not
> > the kids. Is there an easy way of indicating what should startup when each
> > user logs onto their account?
>
March 9, 2005 12:09:50 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

regarding
"Each time I install a new program, I'd like to know what the easiest
way to set it up is, placing access to the 2 adult accounts, but not the
kids",

almost all programs load shortcuts into \All Users\Desktop and \All
Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\ without asking an alternative. you
can move these shortcuts out of \All Users\ but it will not prevent your
kids from running the programs from the Run box, or from an open
Explorer window.

to remove Read/Execute access from prohibited programs by your kids'
accounts, you will need to use NTFS permissions to remove all access
from the subfolders of \Program Files\ that contain the prohibited
programs, for your kid's accounts only (keeping current access rules for
your adult accounts).

hope i understood you correctly this time.
none of this relates to which services start up when users log on. that
is a different issue/solution, which i believe does not relate to the
intent of your question.


4kaz wrote:
> Thanks for the tip JW, but that isn't what I mean. I meant what is actually
> physically accessible on their desktop, start menu, etc...not what they can
> 'access'...I would only put things on their desktop/startmenu that I will let
> them access. Anyway, I've had cyberpatrol in the past, and it can mess up
> firewalls (I know this from experience...BIG headache).
>
> "JW" wrote:
>
>
>>www.cyberpatrol.com
>>
>>this will allow you to choose which programs your kids can run, and the
>>ones they cannot run. plus it has many other features.
>>
>>
>>
>>4kaz wrote:
>>
>>>I am just using the multiple users for the first time, setting each family
>>>member up with their own logon (including 2 kids). Is there an easy way to
>>>put access to basic stuff on the kids, and keep the adult ones with
>>>everything? Each time I install a new program, I'd like to know what the
>>>easiest way to set it up is, placing access to the 2 adult accounts, but not
>>>the kids. Is there an easy way of indicating what should startup when each
>>>user logs onto their account?
>>
!