Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Quick view in xp

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
March 8, 2005 9:14:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hi all,
When I finally upgraded to XP from Win98 I didn't know that this great
little program wouldn't be included in the new xp OS. So my question is: How
can I load Quick view from my old Win98 disc to my new XP computer and have
it work? I realize that I can copy the quickview.exe file over but getting
it to work on my new system is another question.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

--
Geno in Sacramento
Remove "nospam" from my address to e-mail me

"Don't believe everything that you -- think."

More about : quick view

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 9:14:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hi Geno,

Here's the equivalent for WinXP.
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_quickres.htm

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
http://dts-l.org/


Geno wrote:
> Hi all,
> When I finally upgraded to XP from Win98 I didn't know
> that this great little program wouldn't be included in
> the new xp OS. So my question is: How can I load Quick
> view from my old Win98 disc to my new XP computer and
> have it work? I realize that I can copy the quickview.exe
> file over but getting it to work on my new system is
> another question.
> Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 9:14:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 18:14:04 GMT, Geno wrote:

> Hi all,
> When I finally upgraded to XP from Win98 I didn't know that this great
> little program wouldn't be included in the new xp OS. So my question is: How
> can I load Quick view from my old Win98 disc to my new XP computer and have
> it work? I realize that I can copy the quickview.exe file over but getting
> it to work on my new system is another question.
> Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Wow, some interesting replies so far. Quick View is not QuickRes (sorry
Bert). Quickview, as you know, was indeed included with previous versions
of Windows because of an agreement between Microsoft and the developers of
Quickview. That agreement was terminated several years ago and as a result
Quickview is no longer included with Windows. As has been recommended, you
can purchase the more advanced Quickview Plus which is fully compatible
with Windows XP. The current version is version 8. More info on Quickview
Plus can be found at
http://www.avantstar.com/solutions/quick_view_plus/defa....
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows
http://support.telop.org

Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup only.
Related resources
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 9:14:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hi Tom,

That's what I get for trusting my memory. :-(
Thank for the correction.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
http://dts-l.org/


Tom Porterfield wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 18:14:04 GMT, Geno wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> When I finally upgraded to XP from Win98 I didn't know
>> that this great little program wouldn't be included in
>> the new xp OS. So my question is: How can I load Quick
>> view from my old Win98 disc to my new XP computer and
>> have it work? I realize that I can copy the
>> quickview.exe file over but getting it to work on my new
>> system is another question.
>> Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Wow, some interesting replies so far. Quick View is not
> QuickRes (sorry Bert). Quickview, as you know, was
> indeed included with previous versions of Windows because
> of an agreement between Microsoft and the developers of
> Quickview. That agreement was terminated several years
> ago and as a result Quickview is no longer included with
> Windows. As has been recommended, you can purchase the
> more advanced Quickview Plus which is fully compatible
> with Windows XP. The current version is version 8. More
> info on Quickview Plus can be found at
> http://www.avantstar.com/solutions/quick_view_plus/defa....
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 9:29:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Quick View is not an application that was ever included with a Windows
program to my knowledge. It was included as part of Corel WordPerfect
Office, ver. 8, also 9 and 10 I believe. That may be how you acquired it,
if you didn't buy it directly from the company. If you don't have the
program and need it, you can go here:

www.avantstar.com

It's up to ver. 8.0 ($35 for download, more for CD) and less for a upgrade
version. I assume you did a "clean install" of WinXP since you no longer
have Quick View on your hard disk. Without the original installation disk I
doubt you can get the program to work properly since registry entries are
required.


"Geno" <gene.williams@nospam.att.net> wrote in message
news:MXlXd.114810$Th1.13562@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> Hi all,
> When I finally upgraded to XP from Win98 I didn't know that this great
> little program wouldn't be included in the new xp OS. So my question is:
> How
> can I load Quick view from my old Win98 disc to my new XP computer and
> have
> it work? I realize that I can copy the quickview.exe file over but getting
> it to work on my new system is another question.
> Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
>
> --
> Geno in Sacramento
> Remove "nospam" from my address to e-mail me
>
> "Don't believe everything that you -- think."
>
>
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 9:29:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

In news:jamXd.43049$xX3.19891@twister.socal.rr.com,
Gene Hora <ams34@san.rr.com> typed:

> Quick View is not an application that was ever included with a
> Windows
> program to my knowledge. It was included as part of Corel
> WordPerfect
> Office, ver. 8, also 9 and 10 I believe.


I can't remember the exact versions of WordPerfect that included
QuickView Plus, but that sounds right.

QuickView Plus still works under Windows XP. I'm running version
5.11 of it here.

--
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
Please reply to the newsgroup


> That may be how you
> acquired it, if you didn't buy it directly from the company.
> If you
> don't have the program and need it, you can go here:
>
> www.avantstar.com
>
> It's up to ver. 8.0 ($35 for download, more for CD) and less
> for a
> upgrade version. I assume you did a "clean install" of WinXP
> since
> you no longer have Quick View on your hard disk. Without the
> original
> installation disk I doubt you can get the program to work
> properly
> since registry entries are required.
>
>
> "Geno" <gene.williams@nospam.att.net> wrote in message
> news:MXlXd.114810$Th1.13562@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>> Hi all,
>> When I finally upgraded to XP from Win98 I didn't know that
>> this
>> great little program wouldn't be included in the new xp OS. So
>> my
>> question is: How
>> can I load Quick view from my old Win98 disc to my new XP
>> computer
>> and have
>> it work? I realize that I can copy the quickview.exe file over
>> but
>> getting it to work on my new system is another question.
>> Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
>>
>> --
>> Geno in Sacramento
>> Remove "nospam" from my address to e-mail me
>>
>> "Don't believe everything that you -- think."
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 12:22:42 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

What does viewing of file contents have to do with screen resolution? I
believe you are confused on the meaning of "QuickView" versus "QuickRes" -
two different animals here.

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
"Google is your Friend!"
www.google.com

***********************************************

"Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
news:u2TO$aBJFHA.4028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi Geno,
>
> Here's the equivalent for WinXP.
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_quickres.htm
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
> http://dts-l.org/
>
>
> Geno wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > When I finally upgraded to XP from Win98 I didn't know
> > that this great little program wouldn't be included in
> > the new xp OS. So my question is: How can I load Quick
> > view from my old Win98 disc to my new XP computer and
> > have it work? I realize that I can copy the quickview.exe
> > file over but getting it to work on my new system is
> > another question.
> > Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
>
>
March 9, 2005 3:41:16 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Thanks to all of you for the information. It looks like I'll have to dig out
the old credit card and get the new "plus" version. It's too bad MS had to
lose this one, it was a keeper.

--
Geno in Sacramento
Remove "nospam" from my address to e-mail me

"Don't believe everything that you -- think."
"Geno" <gene.williams@nospam.att.net> wrote in message
news:MXlXd.114810$Th1.13562@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> Hi all,
> When I finally upgraded to XP from Win98 I didn't know that this great
> little program wouldn't be included in the new xp OS. So my question is:
How
> can I load Quick view from my old Win98 disc to my new XP computer and
have
> it work? I realize that I can copy the quickview.exe file over but getting
> it to work on my new system is another question.
> Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
>
> --
> Geno in Sacramento
> Remove "nospam" from my address to e-mail me
>
> "Don't believe everything that you -- think."
>
>
March 9, 2005 11:20:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"Geno" <gene.williams@nospam.att.net> wrote in message
news:MCrXd.351193$w62.76766@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> Thanks to all of you for the information. It looks like I'll have to dig
out
> the old credit card and get the new "plus" version. It's too bad MS had to
> lose this one, it was a keeper.
>


there are a couple of freeware apps you may want to try first -
SloView
xnview
forcevision
irfanview

only thing is they won't read document files (i think xnview does, not sure)
such as pdf or ms word.
March 9, 2005 8:19:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Thanks for the info. They are all graphics viewers. The majority of my work
is in text documents. The one feature of Quick View, that was so great, was
that no matter what word processor or text editor that was used to make a
document, QV could read it without wading through all the digital "gobble d
gook" on the page.
Again, thanks for all the attention. If my exwife had paid this much
attention to my problems, she wouldn't be my ex.

--
Geno in Sacramento
Remove "nospam" from my address to e-mail me

"Don't believe everything that you -- think."
"(ProteanThread)" <sysop@rtdos.com> wrote in message
news:1110381614.488b2d992385aa0aad19b5c2368ada82@teranews...
> "Geno" <gene.williams@nospam.att.net> wrote in message
> news:MCrXd.351193$w62.76766@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> > Thanks to all of you for the information. It looks like I'll have to dig
> out
> > the old credit card and get the new "plus" version. It's too bad MS had
to
> > lose this one, it was a keeper.
> >
>
>
> there are a couple of freeware apps you may want to try first -
> SloView
> xnview
> forcevision
> irfanview
>
> only thing is they won't read document files (i think xnview does, not
sure)
> such as pdf or ms word.
>
>
>
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 8:19:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 17:19:45 GMT, Geno wrote:

> Thanks for the info. They are all graphics viewers. The majority of my work
> is in text documents.

If you haven't looked at these programs in a while, you will be pleasantly
surprised. Irfanview, for example, has many plug in filters available to
extend the type of files it is capable of handling.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 8:19:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I just did...I am! Thanks for the tip.

Modem Ani (not the OP)

"Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
news:uzdJwpNJFHA.2356@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 17:19:45 GMT, Geno wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the info. They are all graphics viewers. The majority of my
work
> > is in text documents.
>
> If you haven't looked at these programs in a while, you will be pleasantly
> surprised. Irfanview, for example, has many plug in filters available to
> extend the type of files it is capable of handling.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
!