Quick view in xp

Hi all,
When I finally upgraded to XP from Win98 I didn't know that this great
little program wouldn't be included in the new xp OS. So my question is: How
can I load Quick view from my old Win98 disc to my new XP computer and have
it work? I realize that I can copy the quickview.exe file over but getting
it to work on my new system is another question.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

--
Geno in Sacramento
Remove "nospam" from my address to e-mail me

"Don't believe everything that you -- think."
11 answers Last reply
More about quick view

    Hi Geno,

    Here's the equivalent for WinXP.
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_quickres.htm

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

    On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 18:14:04 GMT, Geno wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > When I finally upgraded to XP from Win98 I didn't know that this great
    > little program wouldn't be included in the new xp OS. So my question is: How
    > can I load Quick view from my old Win98 disc to my new XP computer and have
    > it work? I realize that I can copy the quickview.exe file over but getting
    > it to work on my new system is another question.
    > Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

    Wow, some interesting replies so far. Quick View is not QuickRes (sorry
    Bert). Quickview, as you know, was indeed included with previous versions
    of Windows because of an agreement between Microsoft and the developers of
    Quickview. That agreement was terminated several years ago and as a result
    Quickview is no longer included with Windows. As has been recommended, you
    can purchase the more advanced Quickview Plus which is fully compatible
    with Windows XP. The current version is version 8. More info on Quickview
    Plus can be found at
    http://www.avantstar.com/solutions/quick_view_plus/default.aspx.
    --
    Tom Porterfield
    MS-MVP Windows

    Hi Tom,

    That's what I get for trusting my memory. :-(
    Thank for the correction.

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

    Tom Porterfield wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 18:14:04 GMT, Geno wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >> When I finally upgraded to XP from Win98 I didn't know
    >> that this great little program wouldn't be included in
    >> the new xp OS. So my question is: How can I load Quick
    >> view from my old Win98 disc to my new XP computer and
    >> have it work? I realize that I can copy the
    >> quickview.exe file over but getting it to work on my new
    >> system is another question.
    >> Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    > Wow, some interesting replies so far. Quick View is not
    > QuickRes (sorry Bert). Quickview, as you know, was
    > indeed included with previous versions of Windows because
    > of an agreement between Microsoft and the developers of
    > Quickview. That agreement was terminated several years
    > ago and as a result Quickview is no longer included with
    > Windows. As has been recommended, you can purchase the
    > more advanced Quickview Plus which is fully compatible
    > with Windows XP. The current version is version 8. More
    > info on Quickview Plus can be found at
    > http://www.avantstar.com/solutions/quick_view_plus/default.aspx.

    Quick View is not an application that was ever included with a Windows
    program to my knowledge. It was included as part of Corel WordPerfect
    Office, ver. 8, also 9 and 10 I believe. That may be how you acquired it,
    if you didn't buy it directly from the company. If you don't have the
    program and need it, you can go here:

    www.avantstar.com

    It's up to ver. 8.0 ($35 for download, more for CD) and less for a upgrade
    version. I assume you did a "clean install" of WinXP since you no longer
    have Quick View on your hard disk. Without the original installation disk I
    doubt you can get the program to work properly since registry entries are
    required.

    In news:jamXd.43049$xX3.19891@twister.socal.rr.com,
    Gene Hora <ams34@san.rr.com> typed:

    > Quick View is not an application that was ever included with a
    > Windows
    > program to my knowledge. It was included as part of Corel
    > WordPerfect
    > Office, ver. 8, also 9 and 10 I believe.

    I can't remember the exact versions of WordPerfect that included
    QuickView Plus, but that sounds right.

    QuickView Plus still works under Windows XP. I'm running version
    5.11 of it here.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > That may be how you
    > acquired it, if you didn't buy it directly from the company.
    > If you
    > don't have the program and need it, you can go here:
    >
    > www.avantstar.com
    >
    > It's up to ver. 8.0 ($35 for download, more for CD) and less
    > for a
    > upgrade version. I assume you did a "clean install" of WinXP
    > since
    > you no longer have Quick View on your hard disk. Without the
    > original
    > installation disk I doubt you can get the program to work
    > properly
    > since registry entries are required.
    >

    > "Geno" <gene.williams@nospam.att.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi all,
    >> When I finally upgraded to XP from Win98 I didn't know that
    >> this
    >> great little program wouldn't be included in the new xp OS. So
    >> my
    >> question is: How
    >> can I load Quick view from my old Win98 disc to my new XP
    >> computer
    >> and have
    >> it work? I realize that I can copy the quickview.exe file over
    >> but
    >> getting it to work on my new system is another question.
    >> Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Geno in Sacramento
    >> Remove "nospam" from my address to e-mail me
    >>
    >> "Don't believe everything that you -- think."

    What does viewing of file contents have to do with screen resolution? I
    believe you are confused on the meaning of "QuickView" versus "QuickRes" -
    two different animals here.

    --
    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
    "Google is your Friend!"

    "Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
    > Hi Geno,
    >
    > Here's the equivalent for WinXP.
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_quickres.htm
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    > http://dts-l.org/
    >

    > Geno wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > > When I finally upgraded to XP from Win98 I didn't know
    > > that this great little program wouldn't be included in
    > > the new xp OS. So my question is: How can I load Quick
    > > view from my old Win98 disc to my new XP computer and
    > > have it work? I realize that I can copy the quickview.exe
    > > file over but getting it to work on my new system is
    > > another question.
    > > Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

    Thanks to all of you for the information. It looks like I'll have to dig out
    the old credit card and get the new "plus" version. It's too bad MS had to
    lose this one, it was a keeper.

    --

    > Thanks to all of you for the information. It looks like I'll have to dig
    out
    > the old credit card and get the new "plus" version. It's too bad MS had to
    > lose this one, it was a keeper.

    there are a couple of freeware apps you may want to try first -
    SloView
    xnview
    forcevision
    irfanview

    only thing is they won't read document files (i think xnview does, not sure)
    such as pdf or ms word.

    Thanks for the info. They are all graphics viewers. The majority of my work
    is in text documents. The one feature of Quick View, that was so great, was
    that no matter what word processor or text editor that was used to make a
    document, QV could read it without wading through all the digital "gobble d
    gook" on the page.
    Again, thanks for all the attention. If my exwife had paid this much
    attention to my problems, she wouldn't be my ex.

    --

    On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 17:19:45 GMT, Geno wrote:

    > Thanks for the info. They are all graphics viewers. The majority of my work
    > is in text documents.

    If you haven't looked at these programs in a while, you will be pleasantly
    surprised. Irfanview, for example, has many plug in filters available to
    extend the type of files it is capable of handling.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    I just did...I am! Thanks for the tip.

    Modem Ani (not the OP)

    > On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 17:19:45 GMT, Geno wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks for the info. They are all graphics viewers. The majority of my
    work
    > > is in text documents.
    >
    > If you haven't looked at these programs in a while, you will be pleasantly
    > surprised. Irfanview, for example, has many plug in filters available to
    > extend the type of files it is capable of handling.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Microsoft Windows XP