Hi, just wondering if I need to buy the complete version of Windows XP or
just the upgrade if going from Windows 98. Thanks

Windows XP Home or Pro upgrade will work well:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/matrix.mspx

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

In news:063591D6-B3C1-4470-AE05-AA870D0DA207@microsoft.com,
herv8 <herv8@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Hi, just wondering if I need to buy the complete version of
> Windows
> XP or just the upgrade if going from Windows 98. Thanks

The upgrade is fine, and since it's cheaper, that's what you
should buy.

With the Upgrade CD, you can either do an upgrade, or a clean
installation (if you have a Windows 98 installation CD).

Please reply to the newsgroup

In news:063591D6-B3C1-4470-AE05-AA870D0DA207@microsoft.com,
herv8 <herv8@discussions.microsoft.com> respectfully replied ;-)
> Hi, just wondering if I need to buy the complete version of Windows
> XP or just the upgrade if going from Windows 98. Thanks

Click on the link below, or copy and paste the link into the address box
if using the web based newsgroup.
For upgrading to XP Home or Pro, see the links below.
http://aumha.org/a/xpupgrad.htm
XP Upgrade
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_2kupgrade.asp
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_9xupgrade.asp
See the link below for steps on performing a Clean Install.
Known problems with XP upgrades.
http://michaelstevenstech.com/xpupgdissues.html
Known Problems with Clean installs.
http://www.labmice.net/WindowsXP/Install/installbugs.htm
Top 10 Reasons for Moving to Windows XP Professional
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/whyupgrade/top10.asp
Why Windows XP Professional?
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/whyupgrade/default.asp
Windows XP Professional Features
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/features.asp

--

Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@michaelstevenstech.com

herv8 wrote:
> Hi, just wondering if I need to buy the complete version of Windows XP or
> just the upgrade if going from Windows 98. Thanks

All you need to buy is the Upgrade license.

Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Windows Catalog:
(http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx) Additionally, run
Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
hardware components or applications.

You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective or substandard
hardware (particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will
still support Win9x.

HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

Upgrading to Windows XP
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm

--