Installing Windows XP

Hi Everyone!

Im hoping someone can answer what is probably a stupid question to all of
you. I installed windows XP on my laptop a few months ago and now i just got
another computer for my home. I was able to install windows XP of the
installation disc that i got but its now asking me to "activate" and
register. When i try to do this it says that the code i have to enter is
incorrect. I tried many times but am now wondering am I not allowed to have
two copies of XP running on different computers even though I bought the
original version of XP? None of it is pirated software I just dont want to
have to buy another copy!

I was wondering if anyone knows the answer to this problem, if there is one !

You need two licenses to run XP on two computers.

Kempa23 wrote:
> Hi Everyone!
>
> Im hoping someone can answer what is probably a stupid question to all of
> you. I installed windows XP on my laptop a few months ago and now i just got
> another computer for my home. I was able to install windows XP of the
> installation disc that i got but its now asking me to "activate" and
> register. When i try to do this it says that the code i have to enter is
> incorrect. I tried many times but am now wondering am I not allowed to have
> two copies of XP running on different computers even though I bought the
> original version of XP? None of it is pirated software I just dont want to
> have to buy another copy!
>
> I was wondering if anyone knows the answer to this problem, if there is one !

You'll need to purchase a separate WinXP license for each computer
on which you install it.

Just as it has *always* been with *all* Microsoft operating
systems, it's necessary (to be in compliance with both the EULA and U.S.
copyright law http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/117.html), if not
technically) to purchase one WinXP license for each computer on which it
is installed. (Consult an attorney versed in copyright law to determine
final applicability in your locale.) The only way in which WinXP
licensing differs from that of earlier versions of Windows is that
Microsoft has finally added a copy protection and anti-theft mechanism,
Product Activation, to prevent (or at least make more difficult)
multiple installations using a single license.

It is permissible to use the same CD on two computers, assuming it
is a retail CD and you've purchased an additional license for the second
computer. You can buy additional retail licenses. Naturally, Microsoft
cannot sell additional OEM licenses. Be aware, however, that you'll
probably pay more this way than you would if you were to buy a second
copy of WinXP from a discount retailer; Microsoft will only offer you a
15% discount off their MSRP.

Additional Licenses for Windows XP Home Edition
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/addlic.asp

Additional Licenses for Windows XP Professional
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/addlic.asp

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

One copy of WinXP = one license = one activation on one machine.

Windows Product Activation (WPA):
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

Kempa23 wrote:
> Hi Everyone!
>
> Im hoping someone can answer what is probably a stupid question to all of
> you. I installed windows XP on my laptop a few months ago and now i just
> got another computer for my home. I was able to install windows XP of the
> installation disc that i got but its now asking me to "activate" and
> register. When i try to do this it says that the code i have to enter is
> incorrect. I tried many times but am now wondering am I not allowed to
> have
> two copies of XP running on different computers even though I bought the
> original version of XP? None of it is pirated software I just dont want
> have to buy another copy!
>
> I was wondering if anyone knows the answer to this problem, if there is
> one
> !

How do i go about getting a second our even third license for my machines

"PA Bear" wrote:

> One copy of WinXP = one license = one activation on one machine.
>
> Windows Product Activation (WPA):
> http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security
>
> Kempa23 wrote:
> > Hi Everyone!
> >
> > Im hoping someone can answer what is probably a stupid question to all of
> > you. I installed windows XP on my laptop a few months ago and now i just
> > got another computer for my home. I was able to install windows XP of the
> > installation disc that i got but its now asking me to "activate" and
> > register. When i try to do this it says that the code i have to enter is
> > incorrect. I tried many times but am now wondering am I not allowed to
> > have
> > two copies of XP running on different computers even though I bought the
> > original version of XP? None of it is pirated software I just dont want
> > have to buy another copy!
> >
> > I was wondering if anyone knows the answer to this problem, if there is
> > one
> > !

The easiest and often cheapest way is to buy another Windows XP.
You can often get them cheaper than a single license from Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/addlic.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/addlic.mspx

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

> How do i go about getting a second our even third license for my machines
>
> "PA Bear" wrote:
>
>> One copy of WinXP = one license = one activation on one machine.
>>
>> Windows Product Activation (WPA):
>> http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

Windows XP - one license per installation (2 Product Keys needed).

Office XP (retail) - one license, can be installed once on a
desktop/workstation and once on a laptop with the caveat you don't run
applications from each Office install simultaneously and both PC's belong to
the same owner.

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
"Google is your Friend!"

In news:BBF2C6C7-C932-4083-94C9-3677AB3CA65C@microsoft.com,
Kempa23 <Kempa23@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> Hi Everyone!
>
> Im hoping someone can answer what is probably a stupid question
> all of you. I installed windows XP on my laptop a few months
> ago and
> now i just got another computer for my home. I was able to
> install
> windows XP of the installation disc that i got but its now
> asking me
> to "activate" and register. When i try to do this it says that
> the
> code i have to enter is incorrect. I tried many times but am
> now
> wondering am I not allowed to have two copies of XP running on
> different computers even though I bought the original version
> of XP?
> None of it is pirated software I just dont want to have to buy
> another copy!

The rule is quite clear. It's one copy (or one license) for each
computer.

There's nothing new here. This is exactly the same rule that's
been in effect on every version of Windows starting with Windows
3.1. The only thing new with XP is that there's now an
enforcement mechanism.

If yours is a retail version, not an OEM one, you can buy extra
licenses (see
<http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/addlic.asp>).
But it's not generally a good deal. The problem is that Microsoft
sells additional licenses at only a small savings over the list
price. You're almost certainly better off just buying a complete
second copy from a discount source.

Please reply to the newsgroup