Sign in with
Your question

Another A7N8X post...

Last response: in Motherboards
May 12, 2003 10:10:45 PM

Just a couple questions I can't seem to get answered....

I run an ASUS A7N8X (pcb rev 1.04)... BIOS rev 1.003

<b>1. Is there any way to see (POST or BIOS) if Dual channel in enabled?</b>
- I see they have released a new BIOS revision (1.004) for pcb ver 2.0 and up which displays it on the POST screen......but that doesnt do me much good :(  I can't get Dual Channel running with my twin sticks of Samsung PC3200 512 (tried clocking them down to 333, and 266 - and swapping DIMM slots) so Im taking them in for exchange regardless - but I am having to use SANDRA and AIDA32 to bench my Mem bandwidth (approx 2 GB/s).... just looking for an easier way...

<b>2. I run an athlon XP 2100+ (Tbred A), currently at default FSB (133/266). The rated Vcore for my chip from AMD is 1.65 volts. In my BIOS - my VCore is automatically set to 1.75v.....but ASUSProbe Hardware Monitor reports it as 1.808v. Should I be concerned?</b>
... or is this a common bug? My CPU temp (external) in ASUSProbe idles at about 30 Celsius, which is OK IMO, my internal CPU temp in the BIOS (read from diode) is in and around 58 Celsius idling -- which also seems OK IMO. Any of you experience these jiggy Vcore readings?

Any help is appreciated....

<b>When all is said and done, it will be the machines who are left to rule.
Only those of us who worship and revere them shall be granted a place above the rest.</b>

More about : a7n8x post

May 13, 2003 12:20:58 AM

1. Difficult to detect Dual DDR using a benchmark program. If memory is in both channels then Dual DDR is in effect. No question about it. One memory module in the offset memory slot and the other in either of the two remaining memory slots.

2. I'm unsure on this situation but I know some motherboards overvolt. Install <A HREF="http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32" target="_new">AIDA32</A> and report back the "CPU core" value it shows in the Computer->Sensor section.
Related resources
May 13, 2003 3:32:13 AM

My manual for my A7N8X say to put the sticks in the 1st and 3rd slot for dual channel which is for the ddr400.
May 13, 2003 4:38:17 AM

Yeah, I have tried both slots 1 & 3, and 2 & 3 for the RAM. For all I know - Dual Channel may be running fine.... but the fact that AIDA32 and SANDRA both report my memory bandwidth peak at around 2.1 GB/sec seems to indicate that it is not working properly (should be higher as far as I know....somewhere around 4 at least). I'm pretty sure that 2GB/s is an approx for single channel PC2700...

<b>Prof133</b>- AIDA32 reports my Vcore at 1.81v.....so it seems ASUS likes to cook CPU's :tongue:

!!!! As I am writing this - my Vcore spiked to 2.98v and my 5v spiked to 6.4v, while all other voltages were normal.....WTF? :eek:  (set off my HM alarm)

Hmmmm....maybe there is a bigger problem afoot here than I thought.....

Only those of us who worship and revere them shall be granted a place above the rest.</b>
May 13, 2003 5:50:04 AM

* Overclocking Guru <A HREF="http://forum.abit-usa.com/attachment.php?s=a4467098b3c3..." target="_new">OPPAINTER</A> can only go as high as about 4GB/s in Sandra Memory Benchmark and he's running at <b>500MHz+ FSB</b> on an nforce2 board. Dual DDR is working properly on your board. The most important thing that Dual DDR does is decrease latency.

* I would guess that the board is either overvolting or the values are being reported incorrectly.
May 13, 2003 10:08:12 AM

1. There is no way to tell. As long as you install both your RAM on the blue slots you are in the right track. Asus technician has emailed me and confirmed that it was a typo on the manual. You can only run in dual channel DDR if you install the RAM on blue slots. And your bandwidth is correct. Although dual channel DDR is meant for double the memory bandwidth but since it's a DDR technology you only get 2.66GB/s. If you have a Pentium IV in dual channel DDR mode (true QDR) then you can get the 6.4GB/s.

2. Asus has been well known for over-volt their mobo. You'll get a 5-10% over-volt. My 2600+ is 1.65V but my A7N8X Deluxe reports as 1.75V.

It is morally wrong to allow suckers to keep their money
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>
May 13, 2003 11:32:37 AM

i've had my own issues with this board.
with my generic mismatched ram caused some problems, another creeped up:

under win2k pro sp3, the system no longer powers down properly after a shutdown (it just hangs after windows closes)
and it does not reboot on command (the auto-timer is set, it doesn't turn on at the appropriate time). i have the a7n8x-dx rev 1.0x board :( 
NOTHING BUT GRIEF

i think i'm gonna get an a7v8x board...
May 13, 2003 3:48:16 PM

Quote:
Asus technician has emailed me and confirmed that it was a typo on the manual. You can only run in dual channel DDR if you install the RAM on blue slots.

Yeah, it's kind of confusing. The only prerequisite to enable Dual DDR is to have both channels filled with memory. There is a memory controller for each channel. Two in all. As long as both memory controllers are active, Dual DDR is in effect. There's a senior member, named <b>Pulsar</b>, at the nForcersHQ website that has connections with one of the nVidia engineers. Read his posts for more info. The technician was most likely told to tell people to keep the modules in the blue, in order to keep things simple for the consumer. The Asus A7n8x manual as it exists today is correct. It reads as such:

<i>To Enhance system performance, utilize dual-channel feature when installing additional DIMMs. You may install the DIMMs in the following sequence: Sockets 1 and 3 or Sockets 2 and 3 or Sockets 1, 2 and 3.</i>
May 13, 2003 6:01:05 PM

Quote:
!!!! As I am writing this - my Vcore spiked to 2.98v and my 5v spiked to 6.4v, while all other voltages were normal.....WTF? (set off my HM alarm)

Nevermind about this. AIDA32 does funny things to the readings on your HW Monitor when you select Computer>sensor.

I was just concerned with the voltage because in my BIOS I can only manually select from 1.750 - 1.850. If I select 1.750v for VCore (if I leave it at auto it defaults to this value anyways) -- it actually pumps about 1.81v into my XP 2100+.

Seemed a little high is all.

!