Question about an OEM version of Windows XP

March 9, 2005 2:55:02 AM

Hi all

If i purchase an OEM version of XP for my computer I understand it will have
all the normal functionality of a full retail version My main concern is the
access i will have to updating to service pack 2 etc and in the future other
add ons i may want from the microsoft site. This OEM version i am buying has
not been activated. Am i right in assuming buying an OEM version will still
give me access to regular updates from microsoft but will just not give me
technical support should i need it?

Thanks for your help guys!
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 5:06:43 AM

In news:23B52F13-63D3-48CB-86E6-99F0757A4DAB@microsoft.com,
Andy24 <Andy24@discussions.microsoft.com> respectfully replied ;-)
> Hi all
>
> If i purchase an OEM version of XP for my computer I understand it
> will have all the normal functionality of a full retail version My
> main concern is the access i will have to updating to service pack 2
> etc and in the future other add ons i may want from the microsoft
> site. This OEM version i am buying has not been activated. Am i
> right in assuming buying an OEM version will still give me access to
> regular updates from microsoft but will just not give me technical
> support should i need it?
>
> Thanks for your help guys!

Click on the links below, or copy and paste the links into the address box
if using the web based newsgroup.
OEM
#17 on the FAQ list
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

Hi Andy,

> Am i right in assuming buying an OEM version will still give me access to
> regular updates from microsoft but will just not give me technical support
> should i need it?

Yes, this is correct.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Andy24" <Andy24@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> If i purchase an OEM version of XP for my computer I understand it will
> have
> all the normal functionality of a full retail version My main concern is
> the
> access i will have to updating to service pack 2 etc and in the future
> other
> add ons i may want from the microsoft site. This OEM version i am buying
> has
> not been activated. Am i right in assuming buying an OEM version will
> still
> give me access to regular updates from microsoft but will just not give me
> technical support should i need it?
>
> Thanks for your help guys!
March 9, 2005 11:02:40 AM

Hi

One of the main differences between OEM and retail versions of XP is that
Microsoft will not support the OEM version and you will need to contact your
supplier. Also with an OEM version, it will perform a 'clean' install of
XP, thereby deleting all your files, settings and programs. You will be
able to access Windows Update, yes.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Andy24" <Andy24@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> If i purchase an OEM version of XP for my computer I understand it will
> have
> all the normal functionality of a full retail version My main concern is
> the
> access i will have to updating to service pack 2 etc and in the future
> other
> add ons i may want from the microsoft site. This OEM version i am buying
> has
> not been activated. Am i right in assuming buying an OEM version will
> still
> give me access to regular updates from microsoft but will just not give me
> technical support should i need it?
>
> Thanks for your help guys!
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 11:26:31 AM

In news:23B52F13-63D3-48CB-86E6-99F0757A4DAB@microsoft.com,
Andy24 <Andy24@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> If i purchase an OEM version of XP for my computer I understand
> it
> will have all the normal functionality of a full retail version
> My
> main concern is the access i will have to updating to service
> pack 2
> etc and in the future other add ons i may want from the
> microsoft
> site. This OEM version i am buying has not been activated. Am
> right in assuming buying an OEM version will still give me
> access to
> regular updates from microsoft but will just not give me
> technical
> support should i need it?

Yes, that's correct. Although if you get a complete generic OEM
version, it contains the same software, it has the following
disadvantages as compared with the retail version:

1. Its license ties it permanently to the first computer it's
installed on. It can never legally be moved to another computer,
sold, or given away.

2. It can only do a clean installation, not an upgrade.

3. Microsoft provides no support for OEM versions. You can't call
them with a problem, but instead have to get any needed support
from your OEM; that support may range anywhere between good and
non-existent. Or you can get support elsewhere, such as in these
newsgroups.

In my view, number 1, above, is the most serious of those
disadvantages.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 1:15:05 PM

Yes, no support from MS but normal use of WinUpdate for patches, hotfixes
and the like..

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Andy24" <Andy24@discussions.microsoft.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> Hi all
>
> If i purchase an OEM version of XP for my computer I understand it will
have
> all the normal functionality of a full retail version My main concern is
the
> access i will have to updating to service pack 2 etc and in the future
other
> add ons i may want from the microsoft site. This OEM version i am buying
has
> not been activated. Am i right in assuming buying an OEM version will
still
> give me access to regular updates from microsoft but will just not give me
> technical support should i need it?
>
> Thanks for your help guys!
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 5:00:59 AM

Microsoft won't support it even if you're willing to pay for a support
incident?

news:o KRfVyJJFHA.3992@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
Hi Andy,

> Am i right in assuming buying an OEM version will still give me access to
> regular updates from microsoft but will just not give me technical support
> should i need it?

Yes, this is correct.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Andy24" <Andy24@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> If i purchase an OEM version of XP for my computer I understand it will
> have
> all the normal functionality of a full retail version My main concern is
> the
> access i will have to updating to service pack 2 etc and in the future
> other
> add ons i may want from the microsoft site. This OEM version i am buying
> has
> not been activated. Am i right in assuming buying an OEM version will
> still
> give me access to regular updates from microsoft but will just not give me
> technical support should i need it?
>
> Thanks for your help guys!
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 9:34:27 AM

Sure they will, but there are no free incidents as there is with retail.
Also, problems like broken or scratched disks are handled by the OEM vendor
(and quite often there is no support at all in this vein).

--

!