Question about an OEM version of Windows XP

Hi all

If i purchase an OEM version of XP for my computer I understand it will have
all the normal functionality of a full retail version My main concern is the
access i will have to updating to service pack 2 etc and in the future other
add ons i may want from the microsoft site. This OEM version i am buying has
not been activated. Am i right in assuming buying an OEM version will still
give me access to regular updates from microsoft but will just not give me
technical support should i need it?

Thanks for your help guys!
7 answers Last reply
More about question version windows

    In news:23B52F13-63D3-48CB-86E6-99F0757A4DAB@microsoft.com,
    Andy24 <Andy24@discussions.microsoft.com> respectfully replied ;-)
    > Hi all
    >
    > If i purchase an OEM version of XP for my computer I understand it
    > will have all the normal functionality of a full retail version My
    > main concern is the access i will have to updating to service pack 2
    > etc and in the future other add ons i may want from the microsoft
    > site. This OEM version i am buying has not been activated. Am i
    > right in assuming buying an OEM version will still give me access to
    > regular updates from microsoft but will just not give me technical
    > support should i need it?
    >
    > Thanks for your help guys!

    Click on the links below, or copy and paste the links into the address box
    if using the web based newsgroup.
    OEM
    #17 on the FAQ list
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html
    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

    Hi Andy,

    > Am i right in assuming buying an OEM version will still give me access to
    > regular updates from microsoft but will just not give me technical support
    > should i need it?

    Yes, this is correct.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Andy24" <Andy24@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > If i purchase an OEM version of XP for my computer I understand it will
    > have
    > all the normal functionality of a full retail version My main concern is
    > the
    > access i will have to updating to service pack 2 etc and in the future
    > other
    > add ons i may want from the microsoft site. This OEM version i am buying
    > has
    > not been activated. Am i right in assuming buying an OEM version will
    > still
    > give me access to regular updates from microsoft but will just not give me
    > technical support should i need it?
    >
    > Thanks for your help guys!

    Hi

    One of the main differences between OEM and retail versions of XP is that
    Microsoft will not support the OEM version and you will need to contact your
    supplier. Also with an OEM version, it will perform a 'clean' install of
    XP, thereby deleting all your files, settings and programs. You will be
    able to access Windows Update, yes.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    Andy24 <Andy24@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > If i purchase an OEM version of XP for my computer I understand
    > it
    > will have all the normal functionality of a full retail version
    > My
    > main concern is the access i will have to updating to service
    > pack 2
    > etc and in the future other add ons i may want from the
    > microsoft
    > site. This OEM version i am buying has not been activated. Am
    > right in assuming buying an OEM version will still give me
    > access to
    > regular updates from microsoft but will just not give me
    > technical
    > support should i need it?

    Yes, that's correct. Although if you get a complete generic OEM
    version, it contains the same software, it has the following
    disadvantages as compared with the retail version:

    1. Its license ties it permanently to the first computer it's
    installed on. It can never legally be moved to another computer,
    sold, or given away.

    2. It can only do a clean installation, not an upgrade.

    3. Microsoft provides no support for OEM versions. You can't call
    them with a problem, but instead have to get any needed support
    from your OEM; that support may range anywhere between good and
    non-existent. Or you can get support elsewhere, such as in these
    newsgroups.

    In my view, number 1, above, is the most serious of those
    disadvantages.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Yes, no support from MS but normal use of WinUpdate for patches, hotfixes
    and the like..

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "Andy24" <Andy24@discussions.microsoft.com> kirjoitti viestissä
    > Hi all
    >
    > If i purchase an OEM version of XP for my computer I understand it will
    have
    > all the normal functionality of a full retail version My main concern is
    the
    > access i will have to updating to service pack 2 etc and in the future
    other
    > add ons i may want from the microsoft site. This OEM version i am buying
    has
    > not been activated. Am i right in assuming buying an OEM version will
    still
    > give me access to regular updates from microsoft but will just not give me
    > technical support should i need it?
    >
    > Thanks for your help guys!

    Microsoft won't support it even if you're willing to pay for a support
    incident?

    Hi Andy,

    > Am i right in assuming buying an OEM version will still give me access to
    > regular updates from microsoft but will just not give me technical support
    > should i need it?

    Yes, this is correct.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Andy24" <Andy24@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > If i purchase an OEM version of XP for my computer I understand it will
    > have
    > all the normal functionality of a full retail version My main concern is
    > the
    > access i will have to updating to service pack 2 etc and in the future
    > other
    > add ons i may want from the microsoft site. This OEM version i am buying
    > has
    > not been activated. Am i right in assuming buying an OEM version will
    > still
    > give me access to regular updates from microsoft but will just not give me
    > technical support should i need it?
    >
    > Thanks for your help guys!

    Sure they will, but there are no free incidents as there is with retail.
    Also, problems like broken or scratched disks are handled by the OEM vendor
    (and quite often there is no support at all in this vein).

    --

    "ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Microsoft won't support it even if you're willing to pay for a support
    > incident?

    > Hi Andy,
    >
    >> Am i right in assuming buying an OEM version will still give me access to
    >> regular updates from microsoft but will just not give me technical
    >> support
    >> should i need it?
    >
    > Yes, this is correct.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Andy24" <Andy24@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi all
    >>
    >> If i purchase an OEM version of XP for my computer I understand it will
    >> have
    >> all the normal functionality of a full retail version My main concern is
    >> the
    >> access i will have to updating to service pack 2 etc and in the future
    >> other
    >> add ons i may want from the microsoft site. This OEM version i am buying
    >> has
    >> not been activated. Am i right in assuming buying an OEM version will
    >> still
    >> give me access to regular updates from microsoft but will just not give
    >> me
    >> technical support should i need it?
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help guys!

Microsoft OEM Windows XP