Hi,
You can tell how new i am to this by the question i'm asking. i was
thrilled to be able to post a qustion and get some helpful replies. However
i can't find out how to rate an answer and thank the repondant? I have looked
honest!
--
Tiv Barker

Hi,

As you are using the web interface, you should see an option regarding "Was
this reply helpful?". This is the closest thing to a rating you will see.
These groups are peer-to-peer support, so there is no real need for rankings
as they are not monitored. Marking a reply as helpful merely makes it useful
for others searching for similar answers.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Octavia" <Octavia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> You can tell how new i am to this by the question i'm asking. i was
> thrilled to be able to post a qustion and get some helpful replies.
> However
> i can't find out how to rate an answer and thank the repondant? I have
> looked
> honest!
> --
> Tiv Barker

If you are using OE as a newsreader you do not have the means to rate a
reply. As Rick said, only in the web interface.

"Octavia" <Octavia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> You can tell how new i am to this by the question i'm asking. i was
> thrilled to be able to post a qustion and get some helpful replies.
> However
> i can't find out how to rate an answer and thank the repondant? I have
> looked
> honest!
> --
> Tiv Barker

I am also new to this and desire to rate a helpful post that was not really
an answer, I am using IE 6 sp2 and find an option to say the post did not
answer my question but there is NO WAY TO RATE the post. No way to say it
was helpful. I did find this option on the page that displayed this post
from Octavia and the post that answered her question. This just shouldn't
be. I hate it. Where is the option on the page that posted a reply to my
question?

"Octavia" wrote:

> Hi,
> You can tell how new i am to this by the question i'm asking. i was
> thrilled to be able to post a qustion and get some helpful replies. However
> i can't find out how to rate an answer and thank the repondant? I have looked
> honest!
> --
> Tiv Barker

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:AB2FA1DF-14DE-4AA4-ADDF-0DB0456E3BE7@microsoft.com,
Eric Lewis <EricLewis@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I am also new to this and desire to rate a helpful post that was not
> really an answer, I am using IE 6 sp2 and find an option to say the
> post did not answer my question but there is NO WAY TO RATE the post.
> No way to say it was helpful. I did find this option on the page
> that displayed this post from Octavia and the post that answered her
> question. This just shouldn't be. I hate it. Where is the option
> on the page that posted a reply to my question?
>
> "Octavia" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> You can tell how new i am to this by the question i'm asking. i was
>> thrilled to be able to post a qustion and get some helpful replies.
>> However i can't find out how to rate an answer and thank the
>> repondant? I have looked honest!
>> --
>> Tiv Barker

I don't think too many people actually care about rating the posts, if you
want to thank the person who helped you simple continue on in the thread
itself (don't start a new one) and say thank you to them personally because
they won't see your rating I don't believe.

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes

I might add that this is a public newsgroup, and 'rating' posts is not part
of Usenet. That's a function that some web forums have implemented on their
own.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:06:46 -0400, Ted Zieglar wrote:

> I might add that this is a public newsgroup, and 'rating' posts is not part
> of Usenet. That's a function that some web forums have implemented on their
> own.

The MS groups have dual personalities - operating as nntp (the same as the
rest of usenet) and http (similar to web forums). Have heard that MS
implemented some kind of rating thing in their http interface but have not
seen it as I rarely peek in at the http level.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Hi everyone, here is the deal, sometimes I can rate a post, especially when I
read an old one but I can't find the means when I am reading a response to my
post. I can only say if the reply answered my question: yes or no. So I
wind up saying a reply did not but cannot say it was helpful. In another
thread a series of suggestions by the same replier eventually led me to
discover the answer on another forum run by the hardware manufacturer. So
this guy was very helpful but didn't actually answer the question, he helped
me answer it. So I did in the end say his last post answered the question
even though you have to read my subsequent reply/post to see the answer. Oh
well. Eric Lewis

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:06:46 -0400, Ted Zieglar wrote:
>
> > I might add that this is a public newsgroup, and 'rating' posts is not part
> > of Usenet. That's a function that some web forums have implemented on their
> > own.
>
> The MS groups have dual personalities - operating as nntp (the same as the
> rest of usenet) and http (similar to web forums). Have heard that MS
> implemented some kind of rating thing in their http interface but have not
> seen it as I rarely peek in at the http level.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:Oj1N4cijFHA.3540@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Ted Zieglar <teddyz@notmail.com> had this to say:

> I might add that this is a public newsgroup, and 'rating' posts is
> not part of Usenet. That's a function that some web forums have
> implemented on their own.

Makes me wonder now. Do they mean via the Microsoft Communities access?

For instance, first link I dug down to:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.games&cat=en_US_633eea77-2ae7-4b8b-8a00-8a8ec9fed3e0&lang=en&cr=US

Click a post and there's an option to say if the post was helpful or not...
I was thinking that was the rating they were talking about but now I'm
thinking it might have been a forum post as the original post didn't show up
here, only the reply post did.

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes

Malke

Eric Lewis wrote:

> Hi everyone, here is the deal, sometimes I can rate a post, especially
> when I read an old one but I can't find the means when I am reading a
> response to my
> post. I can only say if the reply answered my question: yes or no.
> So I
> wind up saying a reply did not but cannot say it was helpful. In
> another thread a series of suggestions by the same replier eventually
> led me to
> discover the answer on another forum run by the hardware manufacturer.
> So this guy was very helpful but didn't actually answer the question,
> he helped
> me answer it. So I did in the end say his last post answered the
> question
> even though you have to read my subsequent reply/post to see the
> answer. Oh
> well. Eric Lewis

Hi, Eric. What the others are telling you is that since you are using
the web interface, you probably don't realize these are newsgroups.
Most of the regulars do not use the web interface because it is awful;
I don't think any of the MVP's ever use it. I never have. So the rating
thing is completely invisible to those of us who use newsreaders. You
will get far more out of this resource if you use one, too. There are
lots of good newsreaders for Windows, but you can use Outlook Express
since you already have it.

Here are some links to information about newsgroups:

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page3.html#12-09-02 - a brief
explanation of newsgroups
http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/news/howto/default.asp
- Set Up Newsreader

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is
working properly
http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm - how to munge email address
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting vs.
crossposting

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Hi Malke: Guess What!! This time I get the chance to rate your answer! So I
say YES this helps me. What an irony. (deleted but often repeated comment
about programmers). I'll save this link and explore this thing of which you
speak "NewsGroups". Thanks again. Eric Lewis

"Malke" wrote:

> Eric Lewis wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone, here is the deal, sometimes I can rate a post, especially
> > when I read an old one but I can't find the means when I am reading a
> > response to my
> > post. I can only say if the reply answered my question: yes or no.
> > So I
> > wind up saying a reply did not but cannot say it was helpful. In
> > another thread a series of suggestions by the same replier eventually
> > led me to
> > discover the answer on another forum run by the hardware manufacturer.
> > So this guy was very helpful but didn't actually answer the question,
> > he helped
> > me answer it. So I did in the end say his last post answered the
> > question
> > even though you have to read my subsequent reply/post to see the
> > answer. Oh
> > well. Eric Lewis
>
> Hi, Eric. What the others are telling you is that since you are using
> the web interface, you probably don't realize these are newsgroups.
> Most of the regulars do not use the web interface because it is awful;
> I don't think any of the MVP's ever use it. I never have. So the rating
> thing is completely invisible to those of us who use newsreaders. You
> will get far more out of this resource if you use one, too. There are
> lots of good newsreaders for Windows, but you can use Outlook Express
> since you already have it.
>
> Here are some links to information about newsgroups:
>
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page3.html#12-09-02 - a brief
> explanation of newsgroups
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewreader.htm
> http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/news/howto/default.asp
> - Set Up Newsreader
>
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://aumha.org/nntp.htm - list of MS newsgroups
> microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is
> working properly
> http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm - how to munge email address
> http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting vs.
> crossposting
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

It is. The poster has probably used the web browser access in the past and
misses the option in OE.

> In news:Oj1N4cijFHA.3540@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> Ted Zieglar <teddyz@notmail.com> had this to say:

>> I might add that this is a public newsgroup, and 'rating' posts is
>> not part of Usenet. That's a function that some web forums have
>> implemented on their own.
>
> Makes me wonder now. Do they mean via the Microsoft Communities access?
>
> For instance, first link I dug down to:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.games&cat=en_US_633eea77-2ae7-4b8b-8a00-8a8ec9fed3e0&lang=en&cr=US
>
> Click a post and there's an option to say if the post was helpful or
> not... I was thinking that was the rating they were talking about but now
> I'm thinking it might have been a forum post as the original post didn't
> show up here, only the reply post did.
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "But there are always some lunatics about. It would be a dull world
> without them."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

Malke

Eric Lewis wrote:

> Hi Malke: Guess What!! This time I get the chance to rate your
> answer! So I
> say YES this helps me. What an irony. (deleted but often repeated
> comment
> about programmers). I'll save this link and explore this thing of
> which you
> speak "NewsGroups". Thanks again. Eric Lewis

:) ! That's funny! Glad to have helped. Do try using the newsreader; I
think you'll like the experience a lot better.

Cheers,

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers