MAME + Core i7 + Vista 64 = Slow?

NoHotAshes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
Hi everyone,

Im running MAME on my new Core i7 920 with Vista64 and im trying to play Metal Slug X & Metal Slug 1, and almost all versions I try of mame do not work. I get stupid slowdown, it stutters on the title screen, it stutters when i get more than 3 people on screen like its struggling to cope or something. Its a joke, cus it ran perfect on the P4 i upgraded from and as far as i know Core i7 >>>> P4 ...

I've tried old MAME32 versions, new MAME64 versions, new MAMEui versions. Ive tried different builds of Final Burn Alpha and 2dfighter.com, ive also tried different versions of Metal Slug X all to no avail. I have the latest drivers from nvidia, i have the latest frameworks, latest directx, latest system updates, latest x58 chipset drivers, everything else runs flawless but this. Are there any geniuses here who can help me out? ive asked in emulation forums and no one gets it... -_-

thx so much, i appriciate any help given :)

Try MAMEFX, i think thats the one that replaced MAME32.

MAME = Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator. If its 2d and was an arcade cabinet, MAME runs it. (Basically, everything through SFIII, plus Area 51 and the like).

Could be something to do with the neo-geo engine thats getting messed up...try a non neo-geo game and see if one of those runs better...

NoHotAshes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
thanks for the replies, here is some more info.

I've tried mamefx, doesnt work unfortunately. i only get crippling slowdown on neogeo games (yes ive tried multiple versions of neogeo.zip), everything else runs perfect. Also i have tried mame 0.119 and i can get it work on that by deleting the line

<cpu>
<clock index="0" value="100"
</cpu>

from my .cfg file for the game im trying to play. BUT this only works on this 1 version of mame, and it also only works offline, the second i try to play online over p2p it slows down again (no its not lag). This is a useless find to me however as I want to be able to play the game online. so thats an update....

matic3060

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I have used several versions of MAME. Seems like different versions run different games better. The one I've had the most luck with is 117b. Thats just my $.02 from my personal experience.

NeoGeo has been running for years (Since .5x) without major issues; I'd be shocked if it got broken and no one bothered to notice...

NoHotAshes

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006

yea, i figured it wasnt the GPU. just wish i knew what it was, i also tried hyperthreading on, and hyperthreading off. didnt do anything either :/

fireedo

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
try update your romset to the latest stable mame version (right now 131)
I actually surprised to hear about mame performace under your i7 920 so far I have personal experience using intel Wolfdale series E8200 and E8400 and they works really great, Radikal bikers run smooth @ 96% with E8400 @ 3,6ghz
and Mace running great @ 100%
also with my Xeon Quad X3350 @ 3,4ghz

right now I'm using AMD Phenom II 720BE @ 3,6ghz and strangely it runs smoother than intel I have.....radikal bikers runs @ maks 100% !!! and Mace also @ 100%
still suffering with Mortal Kombat just got around 87%

so it's really strange to see intel i7 920 on MAME

there's must be somethings wrong and yes MAME not influence by GPU, MAME 99,99% influenced by Processor.

djc604

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
try using frameskip. although the fps counter will say 60, the actually game itself could only be around 30. It really depends on the game. e.g. virtua racing is slow when there is no frame skip, and the game engine runs at around 75%, but when you add 6 frameskip, the game will run 100% and no change in framerate. depends on the game though...