print screen in dos

Hi I have a dos program which when I wanted to print a copy of the screen
from dos in windows 98 I pressed the print screen button and then pasted the
contents into paint. This does not work in windows xp pro. Why? The program
runs in full screen mode and will not run in a dos window. The program was
originally written for windows 98 dos and the author no longer supports the
program.
Thanks Tricia

Gordon

Tricia wrote:
|| Hi I have a dos program which when I wanted to print a copy of the
|| screen from dos in windows 98 I pressed the print screen button and
|| then pasted the contents into paint. This does not work in windows
|| xp pro. Why? The program runs in full screen mode and will not run
|| in a dos window. The program was originally written for windows 98
|| dos and the author no longer supports the program.
|| Thanks Tricia

Do you have an "Edit" menu item at the top, and will this allow you to
either select all or to draw a "box" round the screen which you can then
edit-copy?

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

"Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> Tricia wrote:
> || Hi I have a dos program which when I wanted to print a copy of the
> || screen from dos in windows 98 I pressed the print screen button and
> || then pasted the contents into paint. This does not work in windows
> || xp pro. Why? The program runs in full screen mode and will not run
> || in a dos window. The program was originally written for windows 98
> || dos and the author no longer supports the program.
> || Thanks Tricia
>
> Do you have an "Edit" menu item at the top, and will this allow you to
> either select all or to draw a "box" round the screen which you can then
> edit-copy?
>
> --
> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
> Gordon Burgess-Parker
> Director
> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

No Try it yourself. Open a dos window press alt/enter then try print screen.
Just asked a friend and they have the same problem.

Tricia

Gordon

Tricia wrote:
|| "Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
||| Do you have an "Edit" menu item at the top, and will this allow you
||| to either select all or to draw a "box" round the screen which you
||| can then edit-copy?
||| --
||| Interim Systems and Management Accounting
||| Gordon Burgess-Parker
||| Director
||| www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
|| No Try it yourself. Open a dos window press alt/enter then try print
|| screen. Just asked a friend and they have the same problem.
|| Tricia

Ah. Click on the little C:\ icon in the top left hand corner and you will
see a drop-down meny which should have "Edit" on it. Go to Edit and you will
see some copy options. Click on "Mark" and you can "mark" all the text in
the windoe. Then go back to "Edit" and click on Copy. Then try pasting that
in a word processor or what you will.

HTH

> Tricia wrote:
> || "Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> || No Try it yourself. Open a dos window press alt/enter then try print
> || screen. Just asked a friend and they have the same problem.
> || Tricia
>
> Ah. Click on the little C:\ icon in the top left hand corner and you will
> see a drop-down meny which should have "Edit" on it. Go to Edit and you
> will see some copy options. Click on "Mark" and you can "mark" all the
> text in the windoe. Then go back to "Edit" and click on Copy. Then try
> pasting that in a word processor or what you will.
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
> Gordon Burgess-Parker
> Director
> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

When in a full dos window such as you get after RUN/CMD OK pressing
ALT/ENTER there is no menu options. That is the problem. My mouse pointer is
not available also. And the program will not run in a window it only runs
full screen. I think you are misunderstanding what I am trying to convey.
Tricia

Gordon

Tricia wrote:
|| "Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
||| Ah. Click on the little C:\ icon in the top left hand corner and
||| you will see a drop-down meny which should have "Edit" on it. Go to
||| Edit and you will see some copy options. Click on "Mark" and you
||| can "mark" all the text in the windoe. Then go back to "Edit" and
||| click on Copy. Then try pasting that in a word processor or what
||| you will.
||| HTH
||| --
||| Interim Systems and Management Accounting
||| Gordon Burgess-Parker
||| Director
||| www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
|| When in a full dos window such as you get after RUN/CMD OK pressing
|| ALT/ENTER there is no menu options. That is the problem. My mouse
|| pointer is not available also. And the program will not run in a
|| window it only runs full screen. I think you are misunderstanding
|| what I am trying to convey. Tricia

And you are misunderstanding what I'M saying. At the top left-hand corner of
your Full Dos (actually it's not DOS, it's a DOS emulator) window, is there
a little icon with a blue line with "C:\" underneath?

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Hi

Please see if the following link to Bruce Sanderson's web site helps:

http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

> Tricia wrote:
> || "Gordon" <gordonbp1@yahoo.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> || When in a full dos window such as you get after RUN/CMD OK pressing
> || ALT/ENTER there is no menu options. That is the problem. My mouse
> || pointer is not available also. And the program will not run in a
> || window it only runs full screen. I think you are misunderstanding
> || what I am trying to convey. Tricia
>
> And you are misunderstanding what I'M saying. At the top left-hand corner
> of your Full Dos (actually it's not DOS, it's a DOS emulator) window, is
> there a little icon with a blue line with "C:\" underneath?
>
> --
> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
> Gordon Burgess-Parker
> Director
> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

> Do you have an "Edit" menu item at the top, and will this allow you to
> either select all or to draw a "box" round the screen which you can then
> edit-copy?

I answered your question

No

Try it yourself. Open a dos window, press alt/enter then try print screen.
Just asked a friend and they have the same problem.

Do you have an "Edit" menu item at the top if you open a dos window, then
press alt/enter?

I have tried it on 3 computers so far and not one of them has an "Edit" menu
nor do they save anything when PrintScreen is pressed.
If you want I could take a picture of the screen with my digital camera and
post it somewhere if you don't believe me?

Tricia

What everyone is describing is Run>Start type "command" and at the left of
the title bar should be a tiny black console-window icon. Edit is on the
drop down menu when you click the tiny icon.

> What everyone is describing is Run>Start type "command" and at the left of
> the title bar should be a tiny black console-window icon. Edit is on the
> drop down menu when you click the tiny icon.
>
> --

I KNOW, but it is NOT VISIBLE WHEN ALT/ENTER IS PRESSED. There is no title
bar visible. Try it.

In fact go to the root directory C: and type cls, all that will be left on a
black screen is C:>.

To repeat the problem, How can I get a copy of a DOS screen, NOT A WINDOW,
that I can paste into MSPAINT?
Tricia

SnagIt 7 has a variety of ways to capture a full screen, a window without
the windows borders, just the contents of a window, even one in which some
of the contents have scrolled out of view. I suggest you download the trial
version from TechSmith and see. I have not seen a screen or combination of
screens and windows or areas that it cannot capture the way I want it done.

> SnagIt 7 has a variety of ways to capture a full screen, a window without
> the windows borders, just the contents of a window, even one in which some
> of the contents have scrolled out of view. I suggest you download the
> trial version from TechSmith and see. I have not seen a screen or
> combination of screens and windows or areas that it cannot capture the way
> I want it done.

> "Tricia" <tricialal2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> What everyone is describing is Run>Start type "command" and at the left
>>> of the title bar should be a tiny black console-window icon. Edit is on
>>> the drop down menu when you click the tiny icon.
>>>
>>> --
>>
>> I KNOW, but it is NOT VISIBLE WHEN ALT/ENTER IS PRESSED. There is no
>> title bar visible. Try it.
>>
>> In fact go to the root directory C: and type cls, all that will be left
>> on a black screen is C:>.
>>
>> To repeat the problem, How can I get a copy of a DOS screen, NOT A
>> WINDOW, that I can paste into MSPAINT?
>> Tricia

Hi I downloaded the trial of SnagIt but it does not capture a dos screen.
All I am getting is a blank white screen when I paste into paint.
Any further ideas?
Tricia

Try the following.
Press ALT+Print Screen.
Open Notepad and Edit and Paste.

"Yves Alarie" <rd50@@pitt.edu> wrote in message
> Try the following.
> Press ALT+Print Screen.
> Open Notepad and Edit and Paste.
>

> "Tricia" <tricialal2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
>> > SnagIt 7 has a variety of ways to capture a full screen, a window
> without
>> > the windows borders, just the contents of a window, even one in which
> some
>> > of the contents have scrolled out of view. I suggest you download the
>> > trial version from TechSmith and see. I have not seen a screen or
>> > combination of screens and windows or areas that it cannot capture the
> way
>> > I want it done.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
>> > (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
>> > "Tricia" <tricialal2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> left
> on

>> Hi I downloaded the trial of SnagIt but it does not capture a dos screen.
>> All I am getting is a blank white screen when I paste into paint.
>> Any further ideas?
>> Tricia

I gather there is no solution.

Did most of the people who gave advice actually try to replicate the
problem? or even read the post and answers before giving the final (at this
time) answer?

"Yves Alarie" <rd50@@pitt.edu> wrote in message
> Try the following.
> Press ALT+Print Screen.
> Open Notepad and Edit and Paste.

Tricia

Given that it is a peer-to-peer rather than a moderated newsgroup, probably
not. Generally, that works well, but you have to give the folks who take
time voluntarily to help others some credit for being there for others. I
would given it shot if the machine I was on when I replied was permitted to
have SnagIt.

> "Yves Alarie" <rd50@@pitt.edu> wrote in message
>> Try the following.
>> Press ALT+Print Screen.
>> Open Notepad and Edit and Paste.
>>

>> "Tricia" <tricialal2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
>> without
>> some
>> way

>> left
>> on

>>> Hi I downloaded the trial of SnagIt but it does not capture a dos
>>> screen.
>>> All I am getting is a blank white screen when I paste into paint.
>>> Any further ideas?
>>> Tricia
>>>

> I gather there is no solution.
>
> Did most of the people who gave advice actually try to replicate the
> problem? or even read the post and answers before giving the final (at
> this time) answer?
>
> "Yves Alarie" <rd50@@pitt.edu> wrote in message
>> Try the following.
>> Press ALT+Print Screen.
>> Open Notepad and Edit and Paste.
>
> Tricia

Yes I did.
Works just fine. No problem at all.
I have a DOS program running full screen.
You want to capture what is on the screen?
No problem.
Press Alt+Print Screen
Open Notebook, Edit and Paste.
Everything is there in Notebook. Just print it.

"Tricia" <tricialal2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Yves Alarie" <rd50@@pitt.edu> wrote in message
> > Try the following.
> > Press ALT+Print Screen.
> > Open Notepad and Edit and Paste.
> >

> > "Tricia" <tricialal2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
> > without
> > some
> > way

> > left
> > on

> >> Hi I downloaded the trial of SnagIt but it does not capture a dos
screen.
> >> All I am getting is a blank white screen when I paste into paint.
> >> Any further ideas?
> >> Tricia
> >>

> I gather there is no solution.
>
> Did most of the people who gave advice actually try to replicate the
> problem? or even read the post and answers before giving the final (at
this
> time) answer?
>
> "Yves Alarie" <rd50@@pitt.edu> wrote in message
> > Try the following.
> > Press ALT+Print Screen.
> > Open Notepad and Edit and Paste.
>
> Tricia

Sorry, not Notebook, Notepad.
> Yes I did.
> Works just fine. No problem at all.
> I have a DOS program running full screen.
> You want to capture what is on the screen?
> No problem.
> Press Alt+Print Screen
> Open Notebook, Edit and Paste.
> Everything is there in Notebook. Just print it.
>
> "Tricia" <tricialal2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> > "Yves Alarie" <rd50@@pitt.edu> wrote in message
> > > Try the following.
> > > Press ALT+Print Screen.
> > > Open Notepad and Edit and Paste.
> > >

> > > "Tricia" <tricialal2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> > > without
> > > some
> the
> the
> > > way

> > > left
Edit
> is
> > > on

> no

> screen.
> > >>

> > I gather there is no solution.
> >
> > Did most of the people who gave advice actually try to replicate the
> > problem? or even read the post and answers before giving the final (at
> this
> > time) answer?
> >
> > "Yves Alarie" <rd50@@pitt.edu> wrote in message
> > > Try the following.
> > > Press ALT+Print Screen.
> > > Open Notepad and Edit and Paste.
> >
> > Tricia

> Yes I did.

(NO YOU DIDN'T)

> Works just fine. No problem at all.
> I have a DOS program running full screen.
> You want to capture what is on the screen?
> No problem.
> Press Alt+Print Screen
> Open Notebook, Edit and Paste.
> Everything is there in Notebook. Just print it.

READ THE POSTING

NOT NOTEPAD, MSPAINT
As I said there must be no solution
Tricia

Gordon

Tricia wrote:
||| Yes I did.
|| (NO YOU DIDN'T)
||| Works just fine. No problem at all.
||| I have a DOS program running full screen.
||| You want to capture what is on the screen?
||| No problem.
||| Press Alt+Print Screen
||| Open Notebook, Edit and Paste.
||| Everything is there in Notebook. Just print it.
|| READ THE POSTING
|| NOT NOTEPAD, MSPAINT
|| As I said there must be no solution
|| Tricia

Try pasting in Word instead of Paint. Why do you specifically need to paste
into Paint?

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

I agree with you, you can Paste it in Notepad, Word, WordPerfect, any word
processor will do. But you can't paste it into a graphic software (like
Paint) as when saving a Windows screen.
The reason is obvious, as I am sure you know.

> || (NO YOU DIDN'T)
> || READ THE POSTING
> || NOT NOTEPAD, MSPAINT
> || As I said there must be no solution
> || Tricia
>
> Try pasting in Word instead of Paint. Why do you specifically need to
paste
> into Paint?
>
> --
> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
> Gordon Burgess-Parker
> Director
> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Mike

Splendid

Tricia,
I did what Yves recommended. It does work in DOS running in Full Screen
mode. I knew about Alt+P in Windows sure, but was not sure about a DOS
window. It copies and pastes the characters into Word, but not the black
background (thank goodness).