The Daily Post, May 23

I had a good session today, helped in part by the fact that the World of
Warcraft server that I play on (Llane) was lagging in a big way (and not just
for me, apparently), which made playing D2 an easy choice.

I have a number of D2 PVM SCL West characters in the works at the moment,
including a beekeeper sorceress (in act 1 hell) and an dexterity bowazon
(errr, somewhere in nightmare difficulty), but up today it was the turn of the
Moozak the gold-finder-to-be singer barb (and we can blame some threads on the
Amazon Basin for this development), and also the magic-finder-in-training
Blizzard sorceress aka "current level 91 MF sorceress is feeling a bit weary
and would like to pass on some of her duties to a young apprentice" that I'm
co-developing with Dalai. First up I took the blizzard girl for a jaunt
around act 1 hell, first solo, doing a few pit and mausoleum runs (nothing of
note on either, alas), then a bit of a putter around with wooley and whitedog
later on, and a few Andariel runs after that (not much to be had there,
either, alas, just not my day for drops).

Then Dalai popped online while I was parking a mule, and then HE grabbed the
Blizzard sorceress, while I grabbed my singer barbarian, and we finished off
the singer's final act 1 quest (three unique items from Andariel, but I can't
remember what they were, so they probably weren't any good), then headed into
act 2. The blizzard girl already had the staff from the previous game (but
not the amulet), so once we knocked over radament for another skill point for
the singer, Cain sent us Lost City (which we found quite easily, oddly enough)
on the way to the viper temple. But don't like taking orders from an old guy
in grey shower curtain, so we took a detour to clear the Ancient Tunnels of
the festering menaces, but not much of note dropped there either.

While I was off eating dinner (steak definitely in the "well done" category,
curse that level 99 oven), Dalai had a bit of a go at the viper temple, but
being a cold only girl and with her Emilio 1000 Automated Attack Android still
only using an exceptional class polearm (there's definitely a lack of four
socket elite polearms for team CRS at the moment, with the orders for
Insightfulness going stacked up), so it was a bit of an uphill climb, but a
quick switcheroo of characters fixed that problem.

The Singer is currently having some definite issues with kill rate, not
withstanding the fact that War Cry in vanilla LOD ain't the most damaging
skill around (read: he takes about 10-20 yells to kill a creature on his own),
but also the fact that his journey towards gold finder status is diverting
points out of the War Cry synergies and into Find Item and Natural Resistances
(even then, things are going to get a little interesting once I switch out his
hat and armour for a full gold find rig), so he's mostly become a stunner and
provider of potions in recent times. But he's only in his early seventies,
so there's still some synergising of his damage to come. I'm also about to
conquer sentiment and switch his Fiona 1000 Buxxom Bow Bade for a Insightful
rabbi, which will help a lot, since a full gold find rig makes it difficult to
top 1,000 mana (wheres a battle setup will run to over 2K mana), and 1,000
mana lasts about half a battle once our hero warms his lungs up.

Duriel turned out to be a big putz with a battle 20 Battle Cry to reduce his
damage, and then it was off to act 3 (he dropped an interesting rare polearm
which had nice damage for its level 33 requirement, but the rest of his drops
were junk). Since time was marching on a bit and with my plans putting the
blizzard sorceress doing hell mephisto running tomorrow, we took the express
lane through act 3 (but we promised Cain we'd got get him some snapshots of
the jungle at a later date), with a heated bark fest against the travincal
council followed by a wander through level 2 of the durance.

Then we got to level 3, and the singer... died. And I'm not really what
happened. I marched up to Bremm, seeing no apparent auras, stunned his
goons, and then watched with interest as my near 3K life evaporated under the
effect of 85/75/75/75 resistances. I hit a couple of purples to correct his
interesting development, but in classic misfit-esque fashion, nothing much
happened. Very odd indeed. Still, it was peak New Zealand internet hours,
so things like that are expected to happen, and since my ISP had already
killed the wee guy off as early as a lagout in a skeleton filled room in act 2
normal, I wasn't overly bothered. We'll just renam him MrBorrowedTimeGuy and
be done with it. :)

The blizzard sorceress on the other hand, is shaping up nicely indeed, as they
usually do, other than the fact that her mercenary needs a stick upgrade
(making cold immunes when soloing somewhat painful at times). Her next major
task is to extract from mephisto an arachnid belt for my next sorceress in
line, the humble rocket sorceress Ninjete (currently only level 14, hehe)

I also have an all passives zealot amazon in the planning stages, too.

And in other news, I have a paladin (DaisyFood), sorceress (ColdAllOver) and
necromancer (TheGrimRapper) started in hardcore mode, but I don't much feel
like letting my ISP loose on those right now, even though they're low level.

Hamster's Mantra:

Live forever, or until ISP decides otherwise, or something odd happens.

Hamster's First Law of MF:

It's Kaytie's fault.

Hasmter's First Law of Character Builds:

It's short's fault. Or jabber's fault. Or I was delerious.

--
If in doubt, hit with axe.

Stephen van Ham wrote:

> Hamster's First Law of MF:
>
> It's Kaytie's fault.

Hey!!! it is NOT :p

Kaytie<--innocent luck snatching victim

Long ago, in the world without shrimp, LineNoise <linenoise@pobox.com>,
supreme ruler of bunnies, hopped and flopped and said:

>>I had a good session today, helped in part by the fact that the World of
>>Warcraft server that I play on (Llane) was lagging in a big way (and not just
>>for me, apparently), which made playing D2 an easy choice.
>
>Not just Llane, either. I was pinging 5000+ with random disconnects on
>Thunderhorn. Some router probably barfed, or something. Like half the
>servers were *barely* playable, and I saw a fair number of them go red when
>I was watching the realm status page.

Any word on what it was all about? Since I took a break from WOW, my guild
mates all shot up to 60 or near sixty while I'm still in my thirties, so I was
hoping to get a little quality time in yesterday to maybe finish up some
arathi quests and then head down to stranglethorn to start working my way up
closer to 40. But half an hour of the lagathon convinced me to step back
over to D2. Is this sort of thing (server lag) been happening a lot
recently?

--
If in doubt, hit with axe.

Long ago, in the world without shrimp, "Kaytie" <kaytiekat@aol.com>, supreme
ruler of bunnies, hopped and flopped and said:

>> Hamster's First Law of MF:

>> It's Kaytie's fault.

>Hey!!! it is NOT :p

>Kaytie<--innocent luck snatching victim

Hehehe.

Thanks for the white thresher yesterday - Moozak's pal Emilio likes his new
Insight stick.

I had a much better run yesterday with drops, too, so maybe being in a couple
of games with your recently has rubbed off, as the council drops a jav skills
charm, a trap skills charm, and a carrion wind ring in various games... as
well as a few million gold pieces, of course. And a Mal rune from the forge
this morning! Plus I got a four socket thresher in the Ancient Tunnels, so
the Yamilla the Blizzard sorceressessseesses merc has a new Insight stick
also.

--
If in doubt, hit with axe.