Looking4 mobd w/237 watt pwr supply?

abfabnarpet

Distinguished
May 13, 2003
Hello! I've got a spare 1.7Ghtz P4 mPGA478 and would like to upgrade an old (but ATX formftr) computer that has a 237 watt power supply---I've been looking at the ASUS p4b533-e and it has a supposed pwr cable to utilize the power system already in the old PC. It also has some other good stuff too! --but here is the info on old system:

--seattle mothbd
--8gb HD
--32mb oxygen VX1 graphic card
--Soundblaster value audio card
--TDK velo 16X cdwriter
--SDRAM 256mb
--P2 350Mhz processer

---also I'm wondering if the video card will be okay since this board is tookee about the voltage (1.5v), and also know that a some other things like memory have to be upgraded--but planning to do that over time.

Please advise---
----thanks abfabnarpet

I would go ahead and upgrade the case, since you need a better power supply anyway. 237 watts won't cut it; my old sparkle ps was 235 watts, and was barely adequate for an xp1700 system. If you're able to switch out the board, you should have no major problems transferring the rest of the system over. Newegg has some great deals on customer returns (refurbs), but they sell out in minutes. You can start with 256 megs of pc3200 memory if the asus board uses ddram. Avoid using sdram with any p4 if possible. Also be aware that your willamette p4 won't work with the new 865p or 875p boards (springdale and canterwood chipsets). You can also get a 1.5 volt agp card for your new board for $60 or so, such as a refurb geforce 3 or ati 8500. Your old video card is probably 3.3 volts, which won't work on any newer board.