Sudden Reboot

Ever since I installed the latest Microsoft Updates for XP (the 12? new
security updates following SP 2) I've had a problem with my system suddenly
rebooting.
I don't know if the two are related but during the updating process I
behaved very impatiently: I had only just turned on Auto-Updating & didn't
pay real attention, so didn't bother to understand it. I kept stopping it,
trying to cancel it & generally buggering about. (Don't ask me why, just a
wally I guess.) Eventually I got them installed. Anyway, I uninstalled each
of these updates but still had the same problem. So now I've reinstalled
them. What all that's worth, I don't know. But now you know.

What seems to happen is that the system seems to come up against an OS
problem or conflict, I think, decides to give up the ghost and reboot. This
most often happens with IE, when I try to go to a new website, whether
following a link or opening a new page. Somtimes immediately after dial-up
to my Home Page. Also, load times have increased hugely & sometimes it just
hangs forever, with the IE progress bar stalled part way, though the
computer still responds outside of IE. It doesn't seem to happen with
Firefox, but I've been getting far more 'Can't find server' messages there,
which I'm suspicious of.

It's not just related to IE however. It also happens when I'm offline;
what seems to happen is, whilst it's doing something I ask of it, whether OS
based or some independant application, I try to interact with the shell/OS
components & it decides it's had enough again, gives up the ghost & reboots.

Beyond those bare facts I can't put my finger on anything more specific,
other than to say that, using X-Setup Pro, I've got the Windows Desktop &
Folder Windows "running in a separate process," if that matters. I have
tried running it without these options, but it doesn't seem to make a
difference, it's just that I think the problem is somewhere in there. And I
suspect that it's easily fixable if I know which settings to tinker with.
But that's just a feeling in my waters.

I need some help to point me in the direction of what to investigate. I
don't know enough to narrow this down -I wouldn't describe myself as a
novice, more like a rank up from that, but being self-taught, there are huge
gaps in my understanding.

I had just done a clean install after updating several hardware components &
the system was working really well.

I'm pretty sure it's not to do with a virus/worm or other nasty; I'm fairly
security minded & run these programs in memory:

Microsoft Antispyware
AVG AntiVirus
Pest Patrol
TrojanHunter
SpywareGuard
SpywareBlaster
ZoneAlarm Security Suite, with AntiVirus

And I regularly run scans of these:

Ad-Aware
Spybot
ewido Security Suite
Ghostbuster
The Cleaner
Stinger
CoolWebShredder
HijackThis

And I recently did a TrendMicro online scan. Of course I realise I could
still be infected, but if I am, have no idea what to do about it beyond the
above.

I'm using XP Pro & have a dial-up connection.

--
TrickTrash

pop

Do you receive any messages before OR after the computer restarts? Very
often when this sort of spontaneous reboot occurs, there will be a message
during the starting back up that the system has recovered from ... ... and
maybe a suggestion as to what to do.
Often, these messages will indicate a hardware problem, but that's not
necessarily so. It's important to first eliminate software unless you're
rolling in money or in too much of a hurry.
Additonal information on the brand, cpu, speed, RAM, drive/s size, Home
or Pro, etc. would be very helpful.
You seem fairly well protected, IFF you have updated ALL of your
scanners/protectors within the last few days? If not, do so and then run
each one again, especially if it's been more than, say a week. Lavasoft has
put out two updates just this week, the last on the tenth.

Regards,

Pop

--
I never bother to get even.
But, I try hard to get AHEAD
"TrickTrash" <guardclone-news@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> [...]
> fairly security minded & run these programs in memory:
>
> Microsoft Antispyware
> AVG AntiVirus
> Pest Patrol
> TrojanHunter
> SpywareGuard
> SpywareBlaster
> ZoneAlarm Security Suite, with AntiVirus
>
> And I regularly run scans of these:
>
> Ad-Aware
> Spybot
> ewido Security Suite
> Ghostbuster
> The Cleaner
> Stinger
> CoolWebShredder
> HijackThis
>
> And I recently did a TrendMicro online scan. Of course I realise I could
> still be infected, but if I am, have no idea what to do about it beyond
> the above.
>
> I'm using XP Pro & have a dial-up connection.

No, no messages & nothing that seems very pertinent in Event Viewer.

Win XP Pro
ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe, onboard sound
AMD Athlon XP 3000+
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
Hitachi Deskstar 80 GB
512 MB Memory branded memory

And I'm neither rolling in dosh, nor in a hurry; Also, 'tho I hate to spout
this sort of stuff, I've learnt more in fixing these cock-up's than at most
other times.

I'm good -well paranoid or careful, take your pick- at keeping my
scanners/protectors updated.

I'd forgotten I'd read somewhere to turn off Automatic Restart & had done
it, without getting any BSOD, which I've never seen in XP. I also hadn't
been checking memory dumps; now that I've remembered I've checked & don't
have any.

I'd been checking the Event Viewer, but couldn't initially link any of the
messages to my problem, so had discounted this, which may have been a
mistake.

I keep seeing 2 types of error message here-

Under Application : PerfNet Event ID 2002 Can't open Redirector service &
PerfNet Event ID 2004 Can't open Server service. Neither seemed to apply to
me as they seem to refer to Workstations & servers & I'm a lone Desktop.

Under System:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10005
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled
or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to
start the service IISADMIN with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{******************}

Again I thought nothing of this as I've got DCOM Server Process Launcher
running automatically and this error seemed a regular occurence, not always
associated with a reboot. I'd also become blase about the services, having
poured over Black Viper's recommendations & thought I'd got these sussed,
although in truth I don't always understand them.

I should also point out that I remember doing something with the IIS Admin
service after I thought I got them all sorted, I think I was tinkering with
the 'add Windows components' wizard & added the Internet Information
Services snap-in, thinking it would give me some interesting performance
info, only to disable the IIS Admin Service when I failed to understand it.
( Are they related?)

Could any of the above error messages be pointing to the problem? Am I
talking out of my hat?

So far I seem to be going around in not very productive circles. Is there
anything else I should be doing to narrow down the field of suspects?

"Pop" <nobody@devnull.spamcop.net> wrote in message
> [...]
>> fairly security minded & run these programs in memory:
>>
>> Microsoft Antispyware
>> AVG AntiVirus
>> Pest Patrol
>> TrojanHunter
>> SpywareGuard
>> SpywareBlaster
>> ZoneAlarm Security Suite, with AntiVirus
>>
>> And I regularly run scans of these:
>>
>> Ad-Aware
>> Spybot
>> ewido Security Suite
>> Ghostbuster
>> The Cleaner
>> Stinger
>> CoolWebShredder
>> HijackThis
>>
>> And I recently did a TrendMicro online scan. Of course I realise I could
>> still be infected, but if I am, have no idea what to do about it beyond
>> the above.
>>
>> I'm using XP Pro & have a dial-up connection.

I have seen redirectors in programs like Retrospect (Dantz's back up
program) and if you run msinfo32.exe, expand the software node and click on
services you can see what services a workstation needs. Obviously, you dont
have to be a server to use redirectors and services.

> [...]
>>> & Folder Windows "running in a separate process," if that matters. I
>>> have tried running it without these options, but it doesn't seem to make
>>> a difference, it's just that I think the problem is somewhere in there.
>>> And I suspect that it's easily fixable if I know which settings to
>>> tinker with. But that's just a feeling in my waters.
>>>
>>> I need some help to point me in the direction of what to investigate. I
>>> don't know enough to narrow this down -I wouldn't describe myself as a
>>> novice, more like a rank up from that, but being self-taught, there are
>>> huge gaps in my understanding.
>>>
>>> I had just done a clean install after updating several hardware
>>> components & the system was working really well.
>>>
>>> I'm pretty sure it's not to do with a virus/worm or other nasty; I'm
>>> fairly security minded & run these programs in memory:

>>> SpywareGuard
>>> SpywareBlaster
>>> ZoneAlarm Security Suite, with AntiVirus
>>>
>>> And I regularly run scans of these:
>>>
>>> Ad-Aware
>>> Spybot
>>> ewido Security Suite
>>> Ghostbuster
>>> The Cleaner
>>> Stinger
>>> CoolWebShredder
>>> HijackThis
>>>
>>> And I recently did a TrendMicro online scan. Of course I realise I
>>> could still be infected, but if I am, have no idea what to do about it
>>> beyond the above.
>>>
>>> I'm using XP Pro & have a dial-up connection.
>>>

>>> --
>>> TrickTrash

pop

Woof! You seem to be doing everything right! And you were right to turn
off the auto-restart on error, too; that's a biggie, IMO. You did, of
course, leave it set so that it would still at least REPORT the errors?
I've noticed you can turn that off too; and I wouldn't.
Other than that, I personally am done; much as I hate to just shotgun
stuff, I'd probably start going thru the likes of SourceForge, Netgeeks, and
the like, to see if I could get some diagnositics, both HW and SW.
The one time I did manage to "fix" a similar problem with a spontaneous
reboot, I did it by uninstalling apps one at a time, intending to do an
Upgrade reinstall (keep all data), but at one point after an
uninstall/registry prune, it suddenly started working. So apparently that
time it was a conflict of some sort, but I never figured out what, and still
hate that I had to give it up. I wasn't even expecting the uninstalls to
help; I was just sort of "noodling" by doing uninstalls while I thought
about the problem and used input from folks on these good groups. So, even
"fixing" it was pure luck. Something was corrupted, but I never figured out
what. That was a few months ago now, and everything's still running like a
top. One thing the uninstalls DOES do for you is make it easier to boot
over and over and over ... <g>. I worked on one other machine with a
spontaneous reboot, but there wasn't time to troubleshoot that one: a
backup/full reinstall/restore was used that time.
Oh, and in both these cases, there was a "Recovered from Serious Error"
message when it restarted, but it was worthless as teats on a ... other than
to suggest a hardware problem and if it persised, to see my tech support.
Yeah, right!
Sooooo, I don't think I have anymore to add to this thread. Best of luck
and maybe someone with the right experience will show up.

Regards,

Pop

> [...]
>>> & Folder Windows "running in a separate process," if that matters. I
>>> have tried running it without these options, but it doesn't seem to make
>>> a difference, it's just that I think the problem is somewhere in there.
>>> And I suspect that it's easily fixable if I know which settings to
>>> tinker with. But that's just a feeling in my waters.
>>>
>>> I need some help to point me in the direction of what to investigate. I
>>> don't know enough to narrow this down -I wouldn't describe myself as a
>>> novice, more like a rank up from that, but being self-taught, there are
>>> huge gaps in my understanding.
>>>
>>> I had just done a clean install after updating several hardware
>>> components & the system was working really well.
>>>
>>> I'm pretty sure it's not to do with a virus/worm or other nasty; I'm
>>> fairly security minded & run these programs in memory:

>>> SpywareGuard
>>> SpywareBlaster
>>> ZoneAlarm Security Suite, with AntiVirus
>>>
>>> And I regularly run scans of these:
>>>
>>> Ad-Aware
>>> Spybot
>>> ewido Security Suite
>>> Ghostbuster
>>> The Cleaner
>>> Stinger
>>> CoolWebShredder
>>> HijackThis
>>>
>>> And I recently did a TrendMicro online scan. Of course I realise I
>>> could still be infected, but if I am, have no idea what to do about it
>>> beyond the above.
>>>
>>> I'm using XP Pro & have a dial-up connection.
>>>

>>> --
>>> TrickTrash

Pop

Yeah, I hear you. I'm coming to the conclusion that the best thing for me
would be to do a new clean install, which I always dread out of all
proportion to the effort it would be. Up till now I've been a dog with a
bone, worring away at the problem, looking for a silver bullet. Like you
suggest, sometimes it's just luck, good or bad and sometimes you just have
to give up, however gracelessly and start again.

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. I do appreciate them,

yours

nick