Belkin wireless router

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Hello

I have a belkin wireless router to share broadband internet, I also want to
share files and devices but! as I can not enable the encryption I am
reluctant to do so.

My problem is that I am not using the software that came with the wireless
adapter on the client pc I am using the software that windows xp provides
and the instructions that come with the router are useless.

Please can someone show me how to setup any encryption on a belkin wireless
router and a windows xp client.

Thanks in advance

John
2 answers Last reply
More about belkin wireless router
  1. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Mine is the 802.11b version, but it should be the same. Just go into the
    router's bios setup. Open your browser, and in the address bar type
    http://192.168.2.1, hit enter, and you'll be at bios setup for the router.
    You should enter a router password you'll remember if you haven't yet, the
    default is a blank password.

    Click under Wireless, on the encryption link (in the left panel). Set the
    selector to 128 bit automatic, type in any passphrase that you want, and
    have it generate a passcode...the numbers will appear in the boxes below the
    passphrase. Write the numbers down and double check them.

    This all needs to be done through a normal wired connection to the router.

    Now when you click on 'show available wireless connections' in the system
    tray, that connection should appear, and if you select it you will be told
    that it is WEP encrypted and give you a place to type the code (it's easy to
    find, can't give the exact details of what it says as it's been a while).
    Type in the code you wrote down, but with no dashes or spaces, the numbers
    and letters only. It should then be able to connect.

    Gary

    "John" <none@all.com> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > I have a belkin wireless router to share broadband internet, I also want
    > to share files and devices but! as I can not enable the encryption I am
    > reluctant to do so.
    >
    > My problem is that I am not using the software that came with the wireless
    > adapter on the client pc I am using the software that windows xp provides
    > and the instructions that come with the router are useless.
    >
    > Please can someone show me how to setup any encryption on a belkin
    > wireless router and a windows xp client.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > John

  2. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Gary that was excellent thanks

    Easy when you know how :)

    "Gary R." <roberthouse@geocities.com> wrote in message
    > Mine is the 802.11b version, but it should be the same. Just go into the
    > router's bios setup. Open your browser, and in the address bar type
    > http://192.168.2.1, hit enter, and you'll be at bios setup for the router.
    > You should enter a router password you'll remember if you haven't yet, the
    > default is a blank password.
    >
    > Click under Wireless, on the encryption link (in the left panel). Set the
    > selector to 128 bit automatic, type in any passphrase that you want, and
    > have it generate a passcode...the numbers will appear in the boxes below
    > the passphrase. Write the numbers down and double check them.
    >
    > This all needs to be done through a normal wired connection to the router.
    >
    > Now when you click on 'show available wireless connections' in the system
    > tray, that connection should appear, and if you select it you will be told
    > that it is WEP encrypted and give you a place to type the code (it's easy
    > to find, can't give the exact details of what it says as it's been a
    > while). Type in the code you wrote down, but with no dashes or spaces, the
    > numbers and letters only. It should then be able to connect.
    >
    > Gary
    >
    > "John" <none@all.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello
    >>
    >> I have a belkin wireless router to share broadband internet, I also want
    >> to share files and devices but! as I can not enable the encryption I am
    >> reluctant to do so.
    >>
    >> My problem is that I am not using the software that came with the
    >> wireless adapter on the client pc I am using the software that windows xp
    >> provides and the instructions that come with the router are useless.
    >>
    >> Please can someone show me how to setup any encryption on a belkin
    >> wireless router and a windows xp client.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >>
    >> John

Wireless Wireless Router Belkin Wireless Networking