Intel CEO Teases Better, Faster Dual-core Atom CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
Asus 1201N is already sporting a dual core Atom - not the most energy efficient netbook (can tell you that first hand), but it's much better than the single core options.

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]In a few years we'll be able to play Crysis on a netbook.[/citation]
Sure you wait a couple years, Meanwhile i'll play crisis on my iPad.

Eventually the entire business PC world will be replaced by hand (or arm)-held smartphones and netbooks. Home PCs will always have a place (most likely for gamers, mind you) due to large monitor size, mouse + keyboard gaming (not mousePAD), and the infinitely greater expansion options for a desktop.

G

A dual core is not really preferable on netbooks, because they will suffer battery loss.
Unless Intel integrated a technology that successfully disables the second core when not in use (or not needed), a second core in a small netbook only adds up to heat, and loss of batterylife.

It's performance will still be below notebooks, and it's battery just above.
I'd rather have them push the Atom processor to a die shrink, and give it under/overclock options to run at 600/1000/1600/2000Mhz.

gpace

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
I hope they make a dual core Atom at 32nm with the same on board graphics chip as the i series (except in 32nm instead of 45nm). Decent graphics and low power of the Atom processor.

Or if AMD makes the Dual core Neo in 32nm.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I just read a review that Asus TM101 has a pen-only mode. I was unaware of this before today. If it had a dual core and a ion chipset, it would go a long way towards making a great tablet. I think the screen was a bit small too, but having a dual core would be a big improvement.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]OK, if a single core is an Atom, how come the dual cores aren't called molecules, especially if they've got graphics with them.[/citation]
Intel marketing not wasting much time on this market segment. Not high profit. Just going with the Atom flow and taking in what profits they can...

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]sceen311[/nom]Sure you wait a couple years, Meanwhile i'll play crisis on my iPad.[/citation]
Hey man april fools was a while back your a little late.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
So it will finally be Core 2 based? That would be the only way Atom will deliver decent performance. Intel could have incredible performance per watt if they just moved the 65nm Core 2s to a 32nm process... there is no need for 6mb of L2 cache, just stick to 2mb or 4mb. Once they do that, they need to make a super efficient mobo that is also based on 32nm process.... it does not matter if the graphics suck since only idiots do video encoding on a netbook and core 2 is powerful enough to decode a fair bit of video even when bundled with a crappy GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.