scootch

Distinguished
May 15, 2003
I'm planning on gathering my spare parts and hook it up to make a second computer.
I have a AMD athlon XP 1700+
1.5 gig of 133 SDRAM
Is there a mobo capable having both installed?
(can I actually run a athlon XP without DDR ram?)
if I am able to proceed with this project.. any recommendation for a motherboard? Not to concerned with overclock potential.. just a rock stable mobo.
Thanks in advance.

RCPilot

Champion
You can get the ASUS A7V or A7VKT133a MOBO's that will run SD RAM. I'll tell you though it's like putting on a boat anchor on that 1700 though. As cheap as RAM is, get some cheap 2100 to 2700 DDR RAM. You'll be whole lot happier in the long run even if it is a second machine. I just got rid of my last SD RAM machine & good riddance.

If you go DDR RAM you could go with the KT333 0r the A7V7X bare bones MOBO for a descent price.

Honey, what's that smell? Don't bother me now I'm working on my computer! OOPS!

Boilermaker

Distinguished
May 6, 2003
i bought a soyo p4isr motherboard for my 2ghz p4 processor because it supported the 1 GB of pc133 ram i had. 3 months later i was kicking myself.

256 mb of pc2100 ram is selling for as low as $19 and 512 mb is going for $38 (check pricewatch). pc2700 is only few dollars more. you'll be happy that you made the investment.

scootch

Distinguished
May 15, 2003
I don't really plan on doing much gaming or anything intensive.. it's just left over parts that I want to hook up to my TV, so I can use the region free DVD player and some other perks of having a computer hooked up to a TV.
this whole thing will be built on scraps, and I can't afford, even if it's just $40 :(

thanks for the advise.. it will help me greatly.

rebturtle

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
You may want to check out the classifieds forum, if you haven't already. Most of these tech junkies, like myself, have a lot of old boards + misc. stuff laying around that they'd love to offload for a couple bucks (Sorry, 85% of my gear becomes hand-me-downs for my friends & family, so I'm clean out of mobos. :frown: ).

<A HREF="http://rebturtle.com" target="_new">rebturtle</A>
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/rebturtle/TurtleTech.html" target="_new">My System</A>