BASIC Software installation question....

I installed my first software CD today. I noticed that I could run it
*offline*. This evening I got this scary message from Windows that they were
shutting down my system and sending some report about a problem encountered.
That my computer was in danger. Was it because I ran the program offline or
was/is there something wrong with the softward CD itself?
3 answers Last reply
More about basic software installation question

    What type of software ? Did it require updated drivers? How is your
    machine running since you got the message?

    "jatfla" wrote:

    > I installed my first software CD today. I noticed that I could run it
    > *offline*. This evening I got this scary message from Windows that they were
    > shutting down my system and sending some report about a problem encountered.
    > That my computer was in danger. Was it because I ran the program offline or
    > was/is there something wrong with the softward CD itself?

    Did it say "(name of program) has experienced a problem and need to close"?
    That is the standard message when a program crashes and needs to close.
    That is followed by a requestor that asks if you want Windows to send info
    about the problem to Microsoft. Microsoft collates these reports and makes
    decisions on fixes.

    If this is not what you saw, then I would run an antispyware program like
    AdAware or Spybot Search and Destroy to see if a malicious program has
    gotten on your computer.

    If it was a crash, there will be some information in the Application Event
    Viewer (Click Start, right click on My Computer and select Manage). The
    event viewers are in the pane on the left. Click on the + by Event Viewer
    and then highlight Application. Look for red X's. Right click on an item
    and choose Properties for further info. Use the link to the Microsoft
    Knowledgebase to learn more.

    > Did it say "(name of program) has experienced a problem and need to
    > close"? That is the standard message when a program crashes and needs to
    > close. That is followed by a requestor that asks if you want Windows to
    > send info about the problem to Microsoft. Microsoft collates these
    > reports and makes decisions on fixes.

    Just to add a short comment:
    Occasionally, but not often, if you let it make the report, Microsoft will
    come back and put a URL in the report box for you to click on. The link
    will take you to a fix or workaround for the problem you found. It doesn't
    happen often, but I've been glad the few times it did happen.
    Also, if you get tired of being asked that question, it can be turned off
    but that is probably something best left to doing later on.

    Pop

Software CD-Rom Basic Windows XP