athlonxp

Distinguished
May 16, 2003
I'm sure that there are a lot of people out there who purchased the Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard and got ripped off like I did. I bought it with the intention of putting in a 400mhz FSB Athlon XP but now I find out only the revision 2.0 motherboards support these new processors. This is bulls*** because Nvidia and Asus have been touting the fact that these motherboards would support these new processors for a long time! Now it seems that I have to buy a new motherboard or just use the 333mhz procs. Of course I already bought 400mhz ddr ram in expectaion of the new procs so running a 333mhz proc is kind of out of the question. If anyone else out there feels ripped off about this motherboard let me know and we will see what we can do about it. I think Asus should either put out a bios fix or send us a newer revision of our motherboard! Sorry for the flame at asus (which I know makes good motherboards) but I just spent an hour talking to someone there who didn't even speak much english.

CompSci

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
I think I've got an earlier revision of the A7n8x...
and I'm pretty sure I can set FSB way above 200mhz/400fsb.
(I've actuall only set it up as hi as 188)
Whatdoya mean it wont run up that hi?

athlonxp

Distinguished
May 16, 2003
Well I was just going off of the information here at tomshardware.com in the article about 400mhz fsb athlons. This article claims that it is unstable on these motherboards that are not revision 2.0 or higher. I don't know from experience, but I am not going to buy one if toms hardware claims it wont work. If anyone has got one of these 400mhz fsb athlon xp processors to work on an older revision motherboard please let me know.

Rifleman

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
How do you know if you have revision 2.0??

I'm going to order one at NewEgg, do I need to tell them that I want revision 2.0?

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
I don't know if newEgg is specifically selling Revision 2.0 but <A HREF="http://www.excaliberpc.com/product_info.php?products_id=1556" target="_new">excaliberPC</A> is.

RCPilot

Champion
Shades of the past. Do a search on my name for the last 3 weeks & you'll see what I've been through with it V 2.0, EH Prof?

The only way to tell what V you have is to look at the silk screen between the PCI slots where it says ASUS. That's the only way I know of & what ASUS says on there web page.

BTW I just got my new rig going this morning. I ordered the board for Excabilerpc.

Honey, what's that smell? Don't bother me now I'm working on my computer! OOPS!

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
Your problem has been solved. Now no matter which PCB revision (either 1.03, 1.04, 1.06, or 2.0) they are officialy supporting 400FSB Athlon XP :)

It is morally wrong to allow suckers to keep their money
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
I've read your thread entitled "Just Got The New Machine Running!" Should be able to get plenty of performance out of that rig at stock and even more if overclocked. Congrats!;)

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
Just head over at ASUS Website, Software section and they have release a new bios (1004) for rev 1.xx boards. Now all A7N8X boards officialy support the new 400MHz FSB. So I guess Asus is not that bad after all :)

rebturtle

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
It also finally gives you guys (rev1.xx boards) a "Dual Channel" indicator during POST.

<A HREF="http://rebturtle.com" target="_new">rebturtle</A>
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/rebturtle/TurtleTech.html" target="_new">My System</A>

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
and 1MHz increment in my default FSB. Now my FSB is default at 167MHz and thus I got a 10MHz gain in CPU clock speed...

It is morally wrong to allow suckers to keep their money
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

athlonxp

Distinguished
May 16, 2003
woohoo!!!!!!!!! Thaks a lot man! This is great news! I now have all my faith restored in ASUS. Thank you everyone for replying and helping out. Ever since I thought the new athlon xp's wouldn't work I started looking at going to a P4 800mhz fsb and now I can't quit thinking about that. Hmmm...what can I do with this A7N8X motherboard if I buy the intel.....drool...drool. P4 3ghz 800mhz fsb is so fast! I think I have an addiction.

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
I don't see the point in upgrading to a new P4 3GHz 800FSB processor. Sure, they are faster but who needs all that power? Currently, I have an 1800+ running at 2GHz (2400+) on my Asus A7N8X Deluxe board, with two 256MB sticks Corsair PC3200LL memory. Sometime in the future, deffinetely not before Christmas I will update to a 3200+ CPU for example, without changing neither the mobo nor my memory. This way I will be able to keep my system up to date, and then I can upgrade to whatever will be available by the time my 3200+ becomes insufficient! Maybe that would be a Prescott, Athlon64 or whatever!