a7n8x, computer problems and the story of my life

jltor

Distinguished
May 16, 2003
Hi, I am trying to fix my old system with some upgrades and such. I got a ASUS a7n8x deluxe board and slapped on my old athlon xp 1700+. I got 2x256 geil 3500 ram. My v-cards is an ATI 8500 le the 128MB version. After hooking everything up I powered on the system and could not get any video out at all. So I hooked up everything back into my old system and could not get any video out of that. What the heck? Is it possible that i fried my v-card somewhere along the line? maybe the processor is done for? I am at a loss. Thanks for any advice, Josh

rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
yes it sounds like your graphics card has died. may be down to static or the motherboard may have blown it but thats unlikely.

jltor

Distinguished
May 16, 2003
Thanks rcj187. Shouldnt there have been a warning beep or some other notification if it was the graphics card though? I thought perhaps the processor was done for. Is there any wasy to test that? The graphics card is less than a year old, is that common for it to die on me like that?. Also is it possible that I am doing damage to the motherboard if the G-card is fried and I keep trying to mess with it? Thanks.

Traqr

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
Hopefully a simple solution... AGP cards are notorious for not seating down easily; the little clip that's supposed to hold them in can click without actually seating the card. The cutouts in the contact strip should be seated against the AGP slot; even 1-2mm clearance can short some of the contacts and cause the system to not function. Either use more force, or spray some control cleaner with lubricating residue onto the card contacts prior to assembly.

<font color=blue>Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself.</font color=blue><font color=green>
<i>Canadian Flight Safety periodical, ~1987</i></font color=green>

rebturtle

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
The A7N8X has a voice warning system that plays through the external speakers. If you haven't already, try booting with the speakers/headphones turned on.

<A HREF="http://rebturtle.com" target="_new">rebturtle</A>
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/rebturtle/TurtleTech.html" target="_new">My System</A>

Mightymo

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
sounds to me like your fried your board. Have you made sure that you did not lay any extra stand offs under the motherboard? If you did and you don't have any screws to ground it, bye bye mobo.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe v2 -- AMD Athlon XP 2500 Barton Core -- 512 P2700 --
ATI Radeon 9500 -- Onboard Audio -- Antec Plus660 AMG 330W case -- XP Pro