Print Screen in Dos further clarification

Please read carefully, this has been altered slightly from my original
posting in the hope that people reading this post can understand it better.

I have 2 computers one Windows 98 and one Windows XP Pro but am wanting to
get rid of the Windows 98 computer, as I need the space it takes up and I
only use it for one purpose and that is a dos program that calculates
machine knitting patterns.

This dos program runs in dos mode from WINDOWS 98 i.e.open a dos window from
Windows 98 and run the program. However the program will only run in full
screen mode, NOT A WINDOW, so that when I want to print a copy of the
screen, I press the print screen button, then I press the WINDOW KEY on my
keyboard to get the WINDOW MENU and then access to my desktop. I then
navigate to a MSPAINT shortcut on my desktop and open MSPAINT and then paste
the image. I then make some alterations to the image and print it. Reverse
the colours as it is blue with white type, saves toner.

If I do exactly the same procedure in WINDOWS XP Pro it does not work When I
open MSPAINT or any other graphical program such as Paint Shop Pro, even
Adobe Paintshop there is no PASTE OPTION, it is greyed out. Why? The
program runs in full screen mode and will not run in a dos window.

The program was originally written for windows 98 dos and the author no
longer supports the program.

Any other suggestions? If I paste the contents into NOTEPAD as had been
suggested I get garbage but no screen image.

If you need further clarification I will be happy to oblige I will even send
a copy of the program to anyone that wants it to see if the can solve this
problem, one of the parts is only 80K big

So please do not post suggesting ALT/PRINTSCREEN paste into notepad etc as
this does not work. As far as I can figure out PRINTSCREEN does not work
with Windows XP Pro in dos unless someone knows another way to do it. And
yes I have used my digital camera and it does give a reasonable result but
it is a lot of bother if there is a better solution. Also please read the
preceding post and answers before posting already posted solutions that do
not work.

Sorry for the long and repeated post but the other one was getting
confusing.

Thanks Tricia
7 answers Last reply
More about print screen clarification

    You may want to test by creating a PIF
    MS-DOS, the acronym for Microsoft Disk Operating System, is an operating
    system with a command-line interface used on personal computers. As with
    other operating systems such as OS/2, it translates keyboard input by the
    user into operations the computer can perform, it also oversees operations
    such as disk input and output, video support, keyboard control, and many
    internal functions related to program execution and file maintenance.

    You type MS-DOS commands using a command prompt window. To end your MS-DOS
    session, type exit in the command prompt window at the blinking cursor.

    The MS-DOS mode is a shell in which the MS-DOS environment is emulated in
    32-bit systems, such as Windows. MS-DOS-based programs can run with Windows
    and might create a program information file (PIF) which appears as a
    shortcut on your desktop.

    a.. To open a command prompt, click Start, point to All Programs, point to
    Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
    b.. Creating a program information file (PIF) for an MS-DOS-based program
    creates a shortcut to the program executable. All the settings saved in the
    PIF file are contained in the shortcut.
    We can both logon to ICQ, Messenger, etc. and you can send a copy of the
    program for further testing.

    You will find much more info at:
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    =======================================
    Regards, Gary 'Doc' Adams in Louisiana

    CTLouisiana @ msn comREMOVE
    http://computerteachers.digital-mall-online.com/
    ~ Read to Learn - Write to Think ~
    =======================================

    "Tricia" <tricialal2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Please read carefully, this has been altered slightly from my original
    > posting in the hope that people reading this post can understand it
    > better.
    >
    > I have 2 computers one Windows 98 and one Windows XP Pro but am wanting to
    > get rid of the Windows 98 computer, as I need the space it takes up and I
    > only use it for one purpose and that is a dos program that calculates
    > machine knitting patterns.
    >
    > This dos program runs in dos mode from WINDOWS 98 i.e.open a dos window
    > from Windows 98 and run the program. However the program will only run in
    > full screen mode, NOT A WINDOW, so that when I want to print a copy of the
    > screen, I press the print screen button, then I press the WINDOW KEY on my
    > keyboard to get the WINDOW MENU and then access to my desktop. I then
    > navigate to a MSPAINT shortcut on my desktop and open MSPAINT and then
    > paste the image. I then make some alterations to the image and print it.
    > Reverse the colours as it is blue with white type, saves toner.
    >
    > If I do exactly the same procedure in WINDOWS XP Pro it does not work When
    > I open MSPAINT or any other graphical program such as Paint Shop Pro, even
    > Adobe Paintshop there is no PASTE OPTION, it is greyed out. Why? The
    > program runs in full screen mode and will not run in a dos window.
    >
    > The program was originally written for windows 98 dos and the author no
    > longer supports the program.
    >
    > Any other suggestions? If I paste the contents into NOTEPAD as had been
    > suggested I get garbage but no screen image.
    >
    > If you need further clarification I will be happy to oblige I will even
    > send a copy of the program to anyone that wants it to see if the can solve
    > this problem, one of the parts is only 80K big
    >
    > So please do not post suggesting ALT/PRINTSCREEN paste into notepad etc as
    > this does not work. As far as I can figure out PRINTSCREEN does not work
    > with Windows XP Pro in dos unless someone knows another way to do it. And
    > yes I have used my digital camera and it does give a reasonable result but
    > it is a lot of bother if there is a better solution. Also please read the
    > preceding post and answers before posting already posted solutions that do
    > not work.
    >
    > Sorry for the long and repeated post but the other one was getting
    > confusing.
    >
    > Thanks Tricia

    Your best bet is to see if a DOS screen capture TSR can be run in the same
    command session - i.e. load the TSR first and then your program from a batch
    file or command prompt. There used to be a lot of these around, and some
    could save a captured image to a file. See
    http://www.pc-tools.net/dos/dosutils/ and maybe do a google search for other
    similar sites.

    The fact that your program will only run in full screen mode indicates that
    it runs in one of the DOS graphics modes for which Windows has limited
    emulation support. Windows (9x as well as XP for some programs also) can
    only run some DOS graphics mode program in a full screen. Keep in mind that
    XP uses a DOS emulator whereas a DOS session in Win 9X runs a true
    implementation of DOS. It's possible that there will be no workable
    solution.
    --

    "Tricia" <tricialal2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Please read carefully, this has been altered slightly from my original
    > posting in the hope that people reading this post can understand it
    > better.
    >
    > I have 2 computers one Windows 98 and one Windows XP Pro but am wanting to
    > get rid of the Windows 98 computer, as I need the space it takes up and I
    > only use it for one purpose and that is a dos program that calculates
    > machine knitting patterns.
    >
    > This dos program runs in dos mode from WINDOWS 98 i.e.open a dos window
    > from Windows 98 and run the program. However the program will only run in
    > full screen mode, NOT A WINDOW, so that when I want to print a copy of the
    > screen, I press the print screen button, then I press the WINDOW KEY on my
    > keyboard to get the WINDOW MENU and then access to my desktop. I then
    > navigate to a MSPAINT shortcut on my desktop and open MSPAINT and then
    > paste the image. I then make some alterations to the image and print it.
    > Reverse the colours as it is blue with white type, saves toner.
    >
    > If I do exactly the same procedure in WINDOWS XP Pro it does not work When
    > I open MSPAINT or any other graphical program such as Paint Shop Pro, even
    > Adobe Paintshop there is no PASTE OPTION, it is greyed out. Why? The
    > program runs in full screen mode and will not run in a dos window.
    >
    > The program was originally written for windows 98 dos and the author no
    > longer supports the program.
    >
    > Any other suggestions? If I paste the contents into NOTEPAD as had been
    > suggested I get garbage but no screen image.
    >
    > If you need further clarification I will be happy to oblige I will even
    > send a copy of the program to anyone that wants it to see if the can solve
    > this problem, one of the parts is only 80K big
    >
    > So please do not post suggesting ALT/PRINTSCREEN paste into notepad etc as
    > this does not work. As far as I can figure out PRINTSCREEN does not work
    > with Windows XP Pro in dos unless someone knows another way to do it. And
    > yes I have used my digital camera and it does give a reasonable result but
    > it is a lot of bother if there is a better solution. Also please read the
    > preceding post and answers before posting already posted solutions that do
    > not work.
    >
    > Sorry for the long and repeated post but the other one was getting
    > confusing.
    >
    > Thanks Tricia

    Hello, Can give you information for a third party program that can copy
    whole or part screen or full window as a jpeg, bmp or gif file. A freeware
    program called Screenhunter v4.0 a screen capture tool from
    http://www.wisdom-soft.com they also have for a fee a Plus and a Pro program.
    Perhaps this can be of use.
    Take Care.
    beamish.

    "Tricia" wrote:

    > Please read carefully, this has been altered slightly from my original
    > posting in the hope that people reading this post can understand it better.
    >
    > I have 2 computers one Windows 98 and one Windows XP Pro but am wanting to
    > get rid of the Windows 98 computer, as I need the space it takes up and I
    > only use it for one purpose and that is a dos program that calculates
    > machine knitting patterns.
    >
    > This dos program runs in dos mode from WINDOWS 98 i.e.open a dos window from
    > Windows 98 and run the program. However the program will only run in full
    > screen mode, NOT A WINDOW, so that when I want to print a copy of the
    > screen, I press the print screen button, then I press the WINDOW KEY on my
    > keyboard to get the WINDOW MENU and then access to my desktop. I then
    > navigate to a MSPAINT shortcut on my desktop and open MSPAINT and then paste
    > the image. I then make some alterations to the image and print it. Reverse
    > the colours as it is blue with white type, saves toner.
    >
    > If I do exactly the same procedure in WINDOWS XP Pro it does not work When I
    > open MSPAINT or any other graphical program such as Paint Shop Pro, even
    > Adobe Paintshop there is no PASTE OPTION, it is greyed out. Why? The
    > program runs in full screen mode and will not run in a dos window.
    >
    > The program was originally written for windows 98 dos and the author no
    > longer supports the program.
    >
    > Any other suggestions? If I paste the contents into NOTEPAD as had been
    > suggested I get garbage but no screen image.
    >
    > If you need further clarification I will be happy to oblige I will even send
    > a copy of the program to anyone that wants it to see if the can solve this
    > problem, one of the parts is only 80K big
    >
    > So please do not post suggesting ALT/PRINTSCREEN paste into notepad etc as
    > this does not work. As far as I can figure out PRINTSCREEN does not work
    > with Windows XP Pro in dos unless someone knows another way to do it. And
    > yes I have used my digital camera and it does give a reasonable result but
    > it is a lot of bother if there is a better solution. Also please read the
    > preceding post and answers before posting already posted solutions that do
    > not work.
    >
    > Sorry for the long and repeated post but the other one was getting
    > confusing.
    >
    > Thanks Tricia

    Tricia, I understand the frustration of not being able to do what you used to do with Win98 in XP. I've not switched to XP just for
    scenarios as this!

    I can think of a possible solution however, albeit it's convoluted. Xp can easily handle a dual boot system. Your PC could be setup
    to dual-boot Win98 & XP, or even DOS & XP (of course you may have to buy a copy of MS DOS on ebay, but what the heck). Being Win98
    is not installed on your XP PC makes this some work I realize. Yet with a dual boot setup the knitting program could be run in Win98
    or DOS, the files you want could be saved to disk then manipulated in XP as desired. If you setup your PC to dual-boot Win98 and XP
    you would have everything of the knitting program as with the old PC, and you would have XP.

    I use a dual-boot system with Win98se & W2K. I use W2K for heavy duty multimedia work and Win98 for just about everything else;
    works great!

    All the best
    Vic
    ___
    "Tricia" <tricialal2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:uxA#mEkJFHA.1280@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > Please read carefully, this has been altered slightly from my original
    > posting in the hope that people reading this post can understand it better.
    >
    > I have 2 computers one Windows 98 and one Windows XP Pro but am wanting to
    > get rid of the Windows 98 computer, as I need the space it takes up and I
    > only use it for one purpose and that is a dos program that calculates
    > machine knitting patterns.
    >
    > This dos program runs in dos mode from WINDOWS 98 i.e.open a dos window from
    > Windows 98 and run the program. However the program will only run in full
    > screen mode, NOT A WINDOW, so that when I want to print a copy of the
    > screen, I press the print screen button, then I press the WINDOW KEY on my
    > keyboard to get the WINDOW MENU and then access to my desktop. I then
    > navigate to a MSPAINT shortcut on my desktop and open MSPAINT and then paste
    > the image. I then make some alterations to the image and print it. Reverse
    > the colours as it is blue with white type, saves toner.
    >
    > If I do exactly the same procedure in WINDOWS XP Pro it does not work When I
    > open MSPAINT or any other graphical program such as Paint Shop Pro, even
    > Adobe Paintshop there is no PASTE OPTION, it is greyed out. Why? The
    > program runs in full screen mode and will not run in a dos window.
    >
    > The program was originally written for windows 98 dos and the author no
    > longer supports the program.
    >
    > Any other suggestions? If I paste the contents into NOTEPAD as had been
    > suggested I get garbage but no screen image.
    >
    > If you need further clarification I will be happy to oblige I will even send
    > a copy of the program to anyone that wants it to see if the can solve this
    > problem, one of the parts is only 80K big
    >
    > So please do not post suggesting ALT/PRINTSCREEN paste into notepad etc as
    > this does not work. As far as I can figure out PRINTSCREEN does not work
    > with Windows XP Pro in dos unless someone knows another way to do it. And
    > yes I have used my digital camera and it does give a reasonable result but
    > it is a lot of bother if there is a better solution. Also please read the
    > preceding post and answers before posting already posted solutions that do
    > not work.
    >
    > Sorry for the long and repeated post but the other one was getting
    > confusing.
    >
    > Thanks Tricia

    Beamish, smart people think alike. I use this program all the time and
    thought it would work. I just tried this program to capture a full screen
    DOS box and it won't capture the writing on the window only the black
    window. It might work for a program in the window but I don't have any DOS
    programs left to check it out.

    "beamish" <beamish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > a copy of the program to anyone that wants it to see if the can solve
    this
    > > problem, one of the parts is only 80K big
    > >
    > > So please do not post suggesting ALT/PRINTSCREEN paste into notepad etc
    as
    > > this does not work. As far as I can figure out PRINTSCREEN does not work
    > > with Windows XP Pro in dos unless someone knows another way to do it.
    And
    > > yes I have used my digital camera and it does give a reasonable result
    but
    > > it is a lot of bother if there is a better solution. Also please read
    the
    > > preceding post and answers before posting already posted solutions that
    do
    > > not work.
    > >
    > > Sorry for the long and repeated post but the other one was getting

    An even easier solution without having to multiboot is
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx
    MSDOS 6.22 is supported and all the other variations run.

    Tricia wrote:
    > Please read carefully, this has been altered slightly from my original
    > posting in the hope that people reading this post can understand it better.
    >
    > I have 2 computers one Windows 98 and one Windows XP Pro but am wanting to
    > get rid of the Windows 98 computer, as I need the space it takes up and I
    > only use it for one purpose and that is a dos program that calculates
    > machine knitting patterns.
    >
    > This dos program runs in dos mode from WINDOWS 98 i.e.open a dos window from
    > Windows 98 and run the program. However the program will only run in full
    > screen mode, NOT A WINDOW, so that when I want to print a copy of the
    > screen, I press the print screen button, then I press the WINDOW KEY on my
    > keyboard to get the WINDOW MENU and then access to my desktop. I then
    > navigate to a MSPAINT shortcut on my desktop and open MSPAINT and then paste
    > the image. I then make some alterations to the image and print it. Reverse
    > the colours as it is blue with white type, saves toner.
    >
    > If I do exactly the same procedure in WINDOWS XP Pro it does not work When I
    > open MSPAINT or any other graphical program such as Paint Shop Pro, even
    > Adobe Paintshop there is no PASTE OPTION, it is greyed out. Why? The
    > program runs in full screen mode and will not run in a dos window.
    >
    > The program was originally written for windows 98 dos and the author no
    > longer supports the program.
    >
    > Any other suggestions? If I paste the contents into NOTEPAD as had been
    > suggested I get garbage but no screen image.
    >
    > If you need further clarification I will be happy to oblige I will even send
    > a copy of the program to anyone that wants it to see if the can solve this
    > problem, one of the parts is only 80K big
    >
    > So please do not post suggesting ALT/PRINTSCREEN paste into notepad etc as
    > this does not work. As far as I can figure out PRINTSCREEN does not work
    > with Windows XP Pro in dos unless someone knows another way to do it. And
    > yes I have used my digital camera and it does give a reasonable result but
    > it is a lot of bother if there is a better solution. Also please read the
    > preceding post and answers before posting already posted solutions that do
    > not work.
    >
    > Sorry for the long and repeated post but the other one was getting
    > confusing.
    >
    > Thanks Tricia

    Printkey 2000 may be just the ticket for you. It
    works fine for me where sites don't allow me to
    print results.
    http://www.sharewarejunkies.com/00zwd2/printkey2000.htm
    HTH
    Skid