my computer is not working properly

some one used my comp and when i went to use it the next time it had a new
search bar on my task bar which i cant get rid of i tried to go to add remove
programs but it wont remove that program it consistantly keeps tring to
download pop up programs i just lost my printing capabilities and my comp
wont even add a printer. i went into diagnostic mode and now i cant get
completely back im so lost and fusterated please help me
5 answers Last reply
More about computer working properly

    ive tried ad aware already and found alot of problemed items but it could not
    remove them like i have in the past, gave a message saying it couldnt remove
    the following item which are the ones that are causing the problems

    "ralph" wrote:

    > some one used my comp and when i went to use it the next time it had a new
    > search bar on my task bar which i cant get rid of i tried to go to add remove
    > programs but it wont remove that program it consistantly keeps tring to
    > download pop up programs i just lost my printing capabilities and my comp
    > wont even add a printer. i went into diagnostic mode and now i cant get
    > completely back im so lost and fusterated please help me

    I would strongly recommend you download and install Microsoft's Antispyware
    program. More than likely it will be able to remove the toolbar.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

    "ralph" wrote:

    > some one used my comp and when i went to use it the next time it had a new
    > search bar on my task bar which i cant get rid of i tried to go to add remove
    > programs but it wont remove that program it consistantly keeps tring to
    > download pop up programs i just lost my printing capabilities and my comp
    > wont even add a printer. i went into diagnostic mode and now i cant get
    > completely back im so lost and fusterated please help me

    Why don't you tell us "exactly" what Ad-Aware found, instead of keeping it a
    secret. How do you suppose to get assistance without giving precise and
    complete particulars.

    What you have told us so far is that you are sick but refuse to tell us -
    the doctors - where it hurts!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "ralph9577" <ralph9577@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > ive tried ad aware already and found alot of problemed items but it could
    > not
    > remove them like i have in the past, gave a message saying it couldnt
    > remove
    > the following item which are the ones that are causing the problems
    >
    > "ralph" wrote:
    >
    >> some one used my comp and when i went to use it the next time it had a
    >> new
    >> search bar on my task bar which i cant get rid of i tried to go to add
    >> remove
    >> programs but it wont remove that program it consistantly keeps tring to
    >> download pop up programs i just lost my printing capabilities and my comp
    >> wont even add a printer. i went into diagnostic mode and now i cant get
    >> completely back im so lost and fusterated please help me

    Ralph

    Some basic steps to removing Spyware/Adware..

    First step is to run a one shot virus remover.. I have found that McAfee
    Stinger works for people.. download and run it..

    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

    You will also need to download Spyware removal software.. Spybot and Adaware
    are available at these websites.. both are free.. download and run them..
    don't forget to check for updates after you have started them..

    .... and this link is for the latest Microsoft helping..

    Spybot has the ability to immunize a system, but there is better for this
    function, so download and run Spyware Blaster too.. again, check for
    updates..

    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/

    If you have had your Internet browser hijacked, that is to say, you get
    redirected through a search engine NOT of your choosing, you will need
    different tools..

    HijackThis is a popular and effective tool.. download it from here..

    http://www.spychecker.com/download/download_hijackthis.html

    CWShredder will eliminate CoolWebSearch and variants.. there is a free
    download here..

    CWShredder.. http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_download.html

    About:blank.. http://lunatic-skydance.de/mr/soft/SpoonWeg.exe

    For other tools in the fight against spyware, visit this website and
    bookmark it..

    http://www.pchell.com

    You must also run a firewall and anti-virus program.. here are some links
    for you..

    http://www.mcafee.com
    http://www.symantec.com
    http://www.zonealarm.com
    http://www.kerio.com
    http://www.gate.com
    http://www.grisoft.com

    Please return to this thread and provide feedback.. it is the only way that
    helpers here can determine how effective the advice given has been..

    Good luck..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "ralph" <ralph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > some one used my comp and when i went to use it the next time it had a new
    > search bar on my task bar which i cant get rid of i tried to go to add
    > remove
    > programs but it wont remove that program it consistantly keeps tring to
    > download pop up programs i just lost my printing capabilities and my comp
    > wont even add a printer. i went into diagnostic mode and now i cant get
    > completely back im so lost and fusterated please help me

    Hi

    Please try the following programs to search for any spyware that may be on
    your system:

    Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
    Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.org/
    CWShredder - http://forum.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
    Spy Sweeper - www.webroot.com

    Try SpyWareBlaster to stop intrusions:

    Also see the following links:

    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/spyware.asp

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "ralph" <ralph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > some one used my comp and when i went to use it the next time it had a new
    > search bar on my task bar which i cant get rid of i tried to go to add
    > remove
    > programs but it wont remove that program it consistantly keeps tring to
    > download pop up programs i just lost my printing capabilities and my comp
    > wont even add a printer. i went into diagnostic mode and now i cant get
    > completely back im so lost and fusterated please help me

Computers Microsoft Windows XP