Project Blue

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Idea - build a melee character entirely around blue (magic) items.

No uniques, no sets, no runewords, no rares, no crafted items, no socketing of
items with runes or gems (but socketing with magic jewels is allowed).

Mods not available on blue items include -

Chance to cause open wounds
Chance to cause crushing blow
Cannot be frozen

Example items that can be used -

Cruel weapon of quickness
Jewelers armour of the whale
Godly armour of the whale
Chromatic shield of deflection
Jewelers shield of deflection
Chromatic amulet of the whale
Prismatic ring of the leech

So, a pretty basic concept in general, one I'm sure has been done many times
before. But what sort of melee character would this optimally be built
around? My idea would be a build that gets much supplemental elemental
damage from skills to help compensate for lower damage from weapon/lack of
crushing blow. So, some examples might be a fire claws druid, or holy freeze
or holy shock paladin.

Thoughts?

--
If in doubt, hit with axe.

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

LoL!... That actually sounds quite fun. What kind of character? Barb, Pally?

--
Jake Mysterio - The Mysterious One of Nothingness.

Stephen van Ham schrieb:
> Idea - build a melee character entirely around blue (magic) items.
>
> No uniques, no sets, no runewords, no rares, no crafted items, no socketing of
> items with runes or gems (but socketing with magic jewels is allowed).
>
> Mods not available on blue items include -
>
> Chance to cause open wounds
> Chance to cause crushing blow
> Cannot be frozen
>
> Example items that can be used -
>
> Cruel weapon of quickness
> Jewelers armour of the whale
> Godly armour of the whale
> Chromatic shield of deflection
> Jewelers shield of deflection
> Chromatic amulet of the whale
> Prismatic ring of the leech
>
> So, a pretty basic concept in general, one I'm sure has been done many times
> before. But what sort of melee character would this optimally be built
> around? My idea would be a build that gets much supplemental elemental
> damage from skills to help compensate for lower damage from weapon/lack of
> crushing blow. So, some examples might be a fire claws druid, or holy freeze
> or holy shock paladin.

Hey I've done various strange builds, but never a blue one. Sounds cool.
Actually we had discussed a blue team several times in the 1.09 days but
found it too easy - well those were the times where cubed cruel colossus
blades were uber.

My first thought is a Phoenix Strike Assassin. Skills would be something
like max PS, decent Shadow Master (+3 shadow claws on switch), a few in
Fade, Weapon Block (yes, I would go for dual claws) and Claw Mastery,
the one points wonders Mind Blast and Cloak of Shadows of course. That
should leave enough points to max at least one of the PS synergies,
starting with Fists of Fire. Merc probably a Holy Freeze guy. Hmm Skulls
count as gems, right? So no leech from the weapons. Leech seems to be
the main problem here. Either we need cruel claws and Tiger Strike or
forget about leech and collect every single potion.

For items, +life is what we want. And +skills on headgear, gloves, claws
and amulett.

---
Hannes

PS: I stopped playing D2 more or less recently. How high is your taunt
skill you cursed me with?

Stephen van Ham wrote:
> Idea - build a melee character entirely around blue (magic) items.
>
> No uniques, no sets, no runewords, no rares, no crafted items, no
socketing of
> items with runes or gems (but socketing with magic jewels is
allowed).

> Thoughts?

My own personal choice (given infinite availability of equipment)
would be a Charged Strike Jabazon with a Cruel Matriarchal Javelin
of Quickness. No Question.

Ian

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"Stephen van Ham" <svanham@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message

> Thoughts?
>
> '
LLANE!

Long ago, in the world without shrimp, "Jake Mysterio" <cretin@dodo.com.au>,
supreme ruler of bunnies, hopped and flopped and said:

>LoL!... That actually sounds quite fun. What kind of character? Barb, Pally?

Barb is probably out, on account that I've played five or six this season
already. Paladin is a marginal choice, for the same reason, but if I went
that way, I'm leaning towards a holy shock zealot (tons of "free" damage) or
an avenger (high level elemental resistance auras).

Fire Claws druid is looking like an interesting choice though.

Assassin might be a starter, due to summonable minion and Fade, and I've only
played two assassins this season...

One way or the other, it's going to require some serious prep work.

Ian Oversby schrieb:
>>Thoughts?
>
> My own personal choice (given infinite availability of equipment)
> would be a Charged Strike Jabazon with a Cruel Matriarchal Javelin
> of Quickness. No Question.
>
> Ian

Hey Ian, still around? I haven't read anything from you recently ...

---
Hannes

PS: Is it another game? Or your wife. Probably the latter.

Hannes Brunner wrote:
> Ian Oversby schrieb:
> >>Thoughts?
> >
> > My own personal choice (given infinite availability of equipment)
> > would be a Charged Strike Jabazon with a Cruel Matriarchal Javelin
> > of Quickness. No Question.
> >
> > Ian
>
> Hey Ian, still around? I haven't read anything from you recently ...

Hi Hannes,

I still read from time to time, but I wouldn't go as far as saying
I'm around ;)

> PS: Is it another game? Or your wife. Probably the latter.

The wife and the game seem to be incompatible :(

The news you had mostly given up shocked me into posting though.

Ian

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

On Tue, 24 May 2005 11:52:38 +1200, Stephen van Ham <svanham@xtra.co.nz>
wrote:

>> Idea - build a melee character entirely around blue (magic) items.
>>
>> No uniques, no sets, no runewords, no rares, no crafted items, no socketing of
>> items with runes or gems (but socketing with magic jewels is allowed).

Socketing with PSapphires should be OK. They're Blue.

Rare items that have chance to cast Frost Nova or Nova should be allowed
(they're blue).

Result, the Necrosmurf! Smurfazon! Assassmurf! Barbsmurfian!
Smurfid! Smurfadin! Smurforess!

>> Thoughts?

Don't look at me, bub, my parents gave up, my teachers gave up...

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

What did the Doctor do?

--

"Brian Brunner" <brian.brunner@verizon.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 24 May 2005 11:52:38 +1200, Stephen van Ham <svanham@xtra.co.nz>
> wrote:
>

>>> Idea - build a melee character entirely around blue (magic) items.
>>>
>>> No uniques, no sets, no runewords, no rares, no crafted items, no
>>> socketing of
>>> items with runes or gems (but socketing with magic jewels is allowed).
>
> Socketing with PSapphires should be OK. They're Blue.
>
> Rare items that have chance to cast Frost Nova or Nova should be allowed
> (they're blue).
>
> Result, the Necrosmurf! Smurfazon! Assassmurf! Barbsmurfian!
> Smurfid! Smurfadin! Smurforess!
>
>>> Thoughts?
>
> Don't look at me, bub, my parents gave up, my teachers gave up...

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

I have a Jewel that is Magic that does +13 Resist All...Can that be used in
socketed blue armor?

--

Long ago, in the world without shrimp, "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz>,
supreme ruler of bunnies, hopped and flopped and said:

>Arrrggghhhhh! The pain! Thinking hurts. Iiiiiiiiiieeeeeeee.

Medic!

>Frost zealot.

I suppose it's no surprise to anyone that you suggested frost zealot, heheheh.

>Are you saying no grey base items are to be used either? That would rule out
>some nice 4-socket pally shields that you could use res all jewels in.

>Is the merc to be similarly equiped?

Good question! After having a think about it, I have decided that kitting up
the merc with a decrep stick and buckets of crushing blow would kind of
diminish the build. So he has to wear blue gear too!

--
If in doubt, hit with axe.

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Long ago, in the world without shrimp, Hannes Brunner <bruhan12@web.de>,
supreme ruler of bunnies, hopped and flopped and said:

>My first thought is a Phoenix Strike Assassin. Skills would be something
>like max PS, decent Shadow Master (+3 shadow claws on switch), a few in
>Fade, Weapon Block (yes, I would go for dual claws) and Claw Mastery,
>the one points wonders Mind Blast and Cloak of Shadows of course. That
>should leave enough points to max at least one of the PS synergies,
>starting with Fists of Fire.

No no, max Blades of Ice!

>Merc probably a Holy Freeze guy. Hmm Skulls
>count as gems, right? So no leech from the weapons. Leech seems to be
>the main problem here. Either we need cruel claws and Tiger Strike or
>forget about leech and collect every single potion.
>
>For items, +life is what we want. And +skills on headgear, gloves, claws
>and amulett.
>
>---
>Hannes
>
>PS: I stopped playing D2 more or less recently. How high is your taunt
>skill you cursed me with?

Well, I'm currently playing a singer barb, so...

--
If in doubt, hit with axe.

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Long ago, in the world without shrimp, "flame_thrower"
<skankyxwhore400@charter.net>, supreme ruler of bunnies, hopped and flopped
and said:

>> Thoughts?

>LLANE!

Hmmm, which character class is that?

--
If in doubt, hit with axe.

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Long ago, in the world without shrimp, "Ian Oversby" <oversby@hotmail.com>,
supreme ruler of bunnies, hopped and flopped and said:

>My own personal choice (given infinite availability of equipment)
>would be a Charged Strike Jabazon with a Cruel Matriarchal Javelin
>of Quickness. No Question.

Good suggestion, and I have indeed been pondering doing a fully synergised
lightningazon this season...

--
If in doubt, hit with axe.

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Long ago, in the world without shrimp, Brian Brunner
<brian.brunner@verizon.net>, supreme ruler of bunnies, hopped and flopped and
said:

>>> No uniques, no sets, no runewords, no rares, no crafted items, no socketing of
>>> items with runes or gems (but socketing with magic jewels is allowed).

>Socketing with PSapphires should be OK. They're Blue.

Good point.

>Rare items that have chance to cast Frost Nova or Nova should be allowed
>(they're blue).

Another good point.

--
If in doubt, hit with axe.

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Long ago, in the world without shrimp, "Jake Mysterio" <cretin@dodo.com.au>,
supreme ruler of bunnies, hopped and flopped and said:

>I have a Jewel that is Magic that does +13 Resist All...Can that be used in
>socketed blue armor?

Absolutely!

--
If in doubt, hit with axe.