I've not long built my first computer and have installed Windows XP which
came on 1 disc at Service Pack 2 release (Version 5.1). I also bought Norton
Antivirus 2004 but can't get Norton to work. I know I've installed it
properly, but when the computer re-boots itself as part of the installation,
the re-start only gets as far as the desktop page for split-second and the
computer crashes to a blue screen full of yellow writing I don't understand
and the computer immediately attempts another re-start, thus entering a
perpetual re-starting cycle. The only solution is to remove Norton
Antivirus. I've searched the knowledgebases on both Microsoft and Symantec
sites and can't find anything that helps, so this is my last resort - please
can someone help?? Thanks in advance.

Stu

PS The only other related problem is that a free version of Paragon Drive
backup software does the same, so I'm guessing this a Windows problem.....??

NAV 2005 is SP2 aware, although I still have some Norton 2004 stuff on a
couple of computers and I have not seen this problem. Is the version of
Paragon certified by Paragon for SP2? (check website)

Stu Williamson wrote:
> I've not long built my first computer and have installed Windows XP
> which came on 1 disc at Service Pack 2 release (Version 5.1). I also
> bought Norton Antivirus 2004 but can't get Norton to work. I know
> I've installed it properly, but when the computer re-boots itself as
> part of the installation, the re-start only gets as far as the
> desktop page for split-second and the computer crashes to a blue
> screen full of yellow writing I don't understand and the computer
> immediately attempts another re-start, thus entering a perpetual
> re-starting cycle. The only solution is to remove Norton Antivirus.
> I've searched the knowledgebases on both Microsoft and Symantec sites
> and can't find anything that helps, so this is my last resort -
> please can someone help?? Thanks in advance.
>
> PS The only other related problem is that a free version of Paragon
> Drive backup software does the same, so I'm guessing this a Windows
> problem.....??

Tried removing in Safe Mode?
Why Norton AV 2004 instead of 2005?

--
<- Shenan ->

Hi Colin,

The Paragon software is XP SP2 compliant (website checked). Any ideas about
NAV 2004 or should I cut and run and buy something else that should fit the
bill??

Thanks for taking the time to reply - look forward to your response.

Regards,

Stu

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> NAV 2005 is SP2 aware, although I still have some Norton 2004 stuff on a
> couple of computers and I have not seen this problem. Is the version of
> Paragon certified by Paragon for SP2? (check website)

> "Stu Williamson" <Stu Williamson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've not long built my first computer and have installed Windows XP which
> > came on 1 disc at Service Pack 2 release (Version 5.1). I also bought
> > Norton
> > Antivirus 2004 but can't get Norton to work. I know I've installed it
> > properly, but when the computer re-boots itself as part of the
> > installation,
> > the re-start only gets as far as the desktop page for split-second and the
> > computer crashes to a blue screen full of yellow writing I don't
> > understand
> > and the computer immediately attempts another re-start, thus entering a
> > perpetual re-starting cycle. The only solution is to remove Norton
> > Antivirus. I've searched the knowledgebases on both Microsoft and
> > Symantec
> > sites and can't find anything that helps, so this is my last resort -
> > please
> > can someone help?? Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Stu
> >
> > PS The only other related problem is that a free version of Paragon Drive
> > backup software does the same, so I'm guessing this a Windows
> > problem.....??

I am using both SystemWorks 2004 and 2005 on XP Pro SP2 computers
successfully. I had a few issues at first with 2004 on an SP2 system but as
far as I could tell it wasn't related to SP2. I had to turn off the nagging
from the Security Center about 2004, however, because 2004 doesn't provide
the info to the Security Center that 2005 does. I think Symantec has caught
up with that issue with 2004 updates, but I'm not sure.

I would navigate to the support page at Symantec and have the automated
diagnostic check your system. It will tell you about any errors and give
you links to the articles in the Symantec Knowledgebase that address the
issues or tell you if something is out of date.

> Hi Colin,
>
> The Paragon software is XP SP2 compliant (website checked). Any ideas
> about
> NAV 2004 or should I cut and run and buy something else that should fit
> the
> bill??
>
> Thanks for taking the time to reply - look forward to your response.
>
> Regards,
>
> Stu
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> NAV 2005 is SP2 aware, although I still have some Norton 2004 stuff on a
>> couple of computers and I have not seen this problem. Is the version of
>> Paragon certified by Paragon for SP2? (check website)
>>
>> --
>> "Stu Williamson" <Stu Williamson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > I've not long built my first computer and have installed Windows XP
>> > which
>> > came on 1 disc at Service Pack 2 release (Version 5.1). I also bought
>> > Norton
>> > Antivirus 2004 but can't get Norton to work. I know I've installed it
>> > properly, but when the computer re-boots itself as part of the
>> > installation,
>> > the re-start only gets as far as the desktop page for split-second and
>> > the
>> > computer crashes to a blue screen full of yellow writing I don't
>> > understand
>> > and the computer immediately attempts another re-start, thus entering a
>> > perpetual re-starting cycle. The only solution is to remove Norton
>> > Antivirus. I've searched the knowledgebases on both Microsoft and
>> > Symantec
>> > sites and can't find anything that helps, so this is my last resort -
>> > please
>> > can someone help?? Thanks in advance.
>> >
>> > Stu
>> >
>> > PS The only other related problem is that a free version of Paragon
>> > Drive
>> > backup software does the same, so I'm guessing this a Windows
>> > problem.....??

Colin,

Many thanks for your advice - I'll try Symantec next.

Regards,

Stu

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> I am using both SystemWorks 2004 and 2005 on XP Pro SP2 computers
> successfully. I had a few issues at first with 2004 on an SP2 system but as
> far as I could tell it wasn't related to SP2. I had to turn off the nagging
> from the Security Center about 2004, however, because 2004 doesn't provide
> the info to the Security Center that 2005 does. I think Symantec has caught
> up with that issue with 2004 updates, but I'm not sure.
>
> I would navigate to the support page at Symantec and have the automated
> diagnostic check your system. It will tell you about any errors and give
> you links to the articles in the Symantec Knowledgebase that address the
> issues or tell you if something is out of date.

> "Stu Williamson" <Stu Williamson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Colin,
> >
> > The Paragon software is XP SP2 compliant (website checked). Any ideas
> > about
> > NAV 2004 or should I cut and run and buy something else that should fit
> > the
> > bill??
> >
> > Thanks for taking the time to reply - look forward to your response.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Stu
> >
> > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
> >
> >> NAV 2005 is SP2 aware, although I still have some Norton 2004 stuff on a
> >> couple of computers and I have not seen this problem. Is the version of
> >> Paragon certified by Paragon for SP2? (check website)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
> >> (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
> >> "Stu Williamson" <Stu Williamson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message

Your'e welcome.