Is 120gigs still the limit that is recognized?

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
I remember reading vaguely about a year ago, that hard drive larger than 120 gigs won't be recognized, or there' a limit or something.

I'm making a new PC, and I'm temped to buy a 200 gig HD...but I want it so it's divded to 30 gigs on on partition, and 170 on the rest. Is that possible?

I'm not sure if this was an OS or mobo issue or what.

<font color=blue> There's no such thing as hell, but you can make it if you try.</font color=blue>

Steven21

Distinguished
May 7, 2003
It depends on the OS your using. Im sure Windows Xp supports HDS over 120 gigs. if your Mobo supports ATA 100/133 then yes you can get a 200 gig HD or higher. SATA also supports capacitys over 120 gig also. I dont really know that much about partitions, but it should work.

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
No, the OS or the file system has nothing to do with it. The FAT32 has a 4 terabyte limit.

Instead, it's the ATA100 standard which generally doesn't understand drives over 127GB unless the BIOS is specifically designed to recognize big drives. Fortunately, most big drives come with a controller card that should overcome this problem.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's a BIOS thing that has been recently solved, it was originally a limit of UDMA100, but a workaround has been found for most newer boards. Also, UDMA133 was designed around this problem.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

The_MaguS

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
So if I get one of those new Gigabyte canterwood mobos, I should be able to use a 200 gig hardrive?

I know there's a controller card, but if I don't have to use it, I don't want to.

<font color=blue> There's no such thing as hell, but you can make it if you try.</font color=blue>