Sign in with
Your question

Problem With ECS K7S5A

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Hard Drives
Last response: in Motherboards
May 18, 2003 3:59:51 AM

Hey there. Im doing a computer repair job for someone and there is a problem. I was called out because the hard drive didnt work and the person bought a new one. I installed the new one and it seemed to work okay, but now he says its not working. A more detailed explination. After installing a cdburner, the customer's hard drive didnt work. This one was a 40gb WD protege. He bought a new one, a 40gb caviar and I installed this one. During the instillation I noticed the bios was slow in loading into setup and going into IDE detection. After installing the caviar, everything seemed to be working fine. I got windows 98 installed and left while XP was installing. The customer called and says the system is not booting... Any help
Useful Info
ECS K7S5A
Duron 1ghz
Caviar40gb
Might be a mobo or hd problem

<b><font color=red>Remember kids, if you see a downed power line, suck on the end, candy comes out!</font color=red></b>

More about : problem ecs k7s5a

May 18, 2003 8:31:15 AM

These boards are EXTREMELY, let me emphazise, EXTREMELY picky about power supplies, memory, etc. If you get a board, get it running with a good power supply and awesome memory, this board will be fine for you, if you don't, you'll have problems after problems.

First I have to ask, did you reset the bios after you put the new drive in? When the customer says the machine isn't booting, does he/she mean totally, freezing up at a point, rebooting constantly?

You said you got win98 installed.. then left while XP was installing? Were you doing an upgrade to XP from 98? It's usually better to install XP Fresh instead of doing the upgrade process.

I see that you switched hard drives, but did you swap cables also? Bad cables can cause tons of headache's cus it's usually the last thing you expect. Are the jumpers set properly for the new drive? Incluiding changing them around to see if it works better? Have you taken off all other drives and connected only this hard drive with old and new cables? Please post back with update
May 18, 2003 4:36:37 PM

The cables were switched...
Win98 did get installed, and while XP was installing I left.
I did not reset the bios

<b><font color=red>Remember kids, if you see a downed power line, suck on the end, candy comes out!</font color=red></b>
Related resources
May 18, 2003 6:14:58 PM

What power supply and memory are they running? And just so we're clear, it was a fresh, clean install on a formatted drive of windows XP ?
May 18, 2003 6:30:27 PM

Ill have to get back to you on the power supply and memory. No first I installed Win98, then was uprgading to XP.

May 18, 2003 6:32:06 PM

That's probably part of your problem. Try installing winXP first, just a clean fresh copy instead of upgrading. Usually upgrading doesn't work properly.
May 18, 2003 7:07:07 PM

Well, Its worked properly for me all the time. Anyway its not that its doing the same thing as the old drive. The bios wont see it

May 18, 2003 9:38:53 PM

i'm really not trying to be sarcastic, but.. if bios can't see it, how are you installing windows on it?

Have you tried the drive in a different computer?
May 18, 2003 9:47:18 PM

The drive was working. Then I installed Win98. I left while xp was installing. He called up and said the bios doesnt recognize it anymore. Havent tried in diff comp yet

May 19, 2003 12:23:42 AM

Have you tried pissing on the motherboard?
Sometimes that works. The piss will make just the right connection, and everything will flow.
Flow like the hoover dam.

Long live ATI.
May 19, 2003 9:25:14 AM

It is probably a power supply problem, but check to make sure that he didn't put them bothe on one cable , bothe masters , after you left. Also with that board you have to identify the cd player , or it wont let you autodetect the other drives. Check his old hdd , I'll bet it's fine
May 19, 2003 2:47:20 PM

ya i could but i dont think the customer would be too happy

May 19, 2003 6:21:52 PM

The old hd is not fine, it does not do anything at all. I tested it in several different comps

May 19, 2003 6:44:29 PM

Did you try going into the BIOS "Standard CMOS Setup" screen and hitting F3 to "Detect All HDD". I seem to remember that solving a similar problem for me a while ago with that MOBO.

I wonder if something happened (a short or static shock?) during the installation of the CD burner. Maybe it fried the old HD and also something on the MOBO?

Good luck.

"I'm a man armed with a fork in a land of soup."
May 19, 2003 10:00:33 PM

Have you tested the new drive in other computers?
!