Service in Montreal Canada w/ NJ based cell phone

Last response: in Network Providers
June 21, 2004 1:03:23 AM

Has anyone had any experience w/ using their phone in Montreal? My phone is
based in the Phila/South Jersey region and I'm heading to Montreal next
month. Is it close enough to the border to stay in service or is it
considered a roaming area?

Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
June 21, 2004 2:19:40 AM

"Bob K., Jr." <No-mail@here.com> wrote:

>Has anyone had any experience w/ using their phone in Montreal? My phone is
>based in the Phila/South Jersey region and I'm heading to Montreal next
>month. Is it close enough to the border to stay in service or is it
>considered a roaming area?

It's a roaming area. There have been several discussions here of how
calls to/from Canada are billed. In my area, the only way to get
non-exorbitantly-priced calls is to sign up for North America's Choice
(which costs more for fewer minutes than America's Choice), which adds
much of Canada and bits of Mexico to your non-roaming area.

Others have said that their local plans include calls to Canada, but
whether your plan in particular is one of those is something that VZW
customer service would have to tell you.

I didn't have any problems using my phone in Montreal last month, and I
was billed correctly. I was not, I believe, billed correctly for some
calls in northwest Ontario, but customer service says their billing
systems are error-free and that I'll have to pay.

==
Jack Hamilton
jfh@acm.org

==
In the end, more than they wanted freedom, they wanted comfort and security.
And in the end, they lost it all - freedom, comfort and security.
Edward Gibbons
Anonymous
June 21, 2004 3:44:48 AM

It *should* work, but with Verizon's billing and greedy throat you'll
probably get charged out of the ass.

"Bob K., Jr." <No-mail@here.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone had any experience w/ using their phone in Montreal? My phone
is
> based in the Phila/South Jersey region and I'm heading to Montreal next
> month. Is it close enough to the border to stay in service or is it
> considered a roaming area?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
June 21, 2004 5:23:53 AM

Jack Hamilton wrote:
> but customer service says their billing
> systems are error-free and that I'll have to pay.

That of course would be the same billing systems that have had me
on auto pay for the last year, and decided to not auto pay last
month, and then this month charged me a late fee. It only
took 39 minutes on the phone to CS to get them to fix it (they
couldn't find anything wrong and refunded late fee). In those
39 minutes I actually talked to 5 different people. It is an
extremely bizarre way to run a company.

Roger
Anonymous
June 21, 2004 6:32:31 AM

"Roger Binns" <rogerb@rogerbinns.com> wrote in message
> Jack Hamilton wrote:
>> but customer service says their billing
>> systems are error-free and that I'll have to pay.
>
> That of course would be the same billing systems that have had me
> on auto pay for the last year, and decided to not auto pay last
> month, and then this month charged me a late fee. It only
> took 39 minutes on the phone to CS to get them to fix it (they
> couldn't find anything wrong and refunded late fee). In those
> 39 minutes I actually talked to 5 different people. It is an
> extremely bizarre way to run a company.
>
> Roger

Had that happen on my auto-pay, turned out to be some sort of security code
thing (back of the card has a printed number, usually 3 or 4 digits after
the account number). The bank added it to the account, making it different
than the default "000" verizon had, and the automatic monthly charge was
denied, at which point auto-pay was disabled and I had to restart it. Much
as I wanted to blame Verizon, I think this one was my banks fault.

Marc
Anonymous
June 21, 2004 2:37:38 PM

"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102GSSPAMMENOT@NOSPAMHotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Roger Binns" <rogerb@rogerbinns.com> wrote in message
> > Jack Hamilton wrote:
> >> but customer service says their billing
> >> systems are error-free and that I'll have to pay.
> >
> > That of course would be the same billing systems that have had me
> > on auto pay for the last year, and decided to not auto pay last
> > month, and then this month charged me a late fee. It only
> > took 39 minutes on the phone to CS to get them to fix it (they
> > couldn't find anything wrong and refunded late fee). In those
> > 39 minutes I actually talked to 5 different people. It is an
> > extremely bizarre way to run a company.
> >
> > Roger
>
> Had that happen on my auto-pay, turned out to be some sort of
security code
> thing (back of the card has a printed number, usually 3 or 4 digits
after
> the account number). The bank added it to the account, making it
different
> than the default "000" verizon had, and the automatic monthly charge
was
> denied, at which point auto-pay was disabled and I had to restart
it. Much
> as I wanted to blame Verizon, I think this one was my banks fault.
>
> Marc

You know Marc I have found that very crazy. On my payments to VZserve
it kept asking for the security code to make the payment. (One Time
each month) I was curious if that same stupid feature was needed for
auto pay. Thinking about how a person signs up for auto pay and then
would have to give that security number each month really defeats the
auto pay feature.

Equally, if the security pin feature is retained by Verizon for the
auto payers then that same feature should be available as a saved
number as to not keep digging out the pin to pay each month via manual
online when they save your credit card or checking account information
anyway?

And to the original poster, I am from the Northeast with America's
Choice and while in Montreal PQ the rate I am charged for both
incoming and outgoing calls is .69¢ a minute.

However my calling friends in Canada from the USA show up as free
under my plan and I have not been charged Long Distance for those
calls.
Strange indeed.

Elector
Anonymous
June 21, 2004 3:23:21 PM

Peter Pan wrote:
> than the default "000" verizon had, and the automatic monthly charge was
> denied, at which point auto-pay was disabled and I had to restart it. Much
> as I wanted to blame Verizon, I think this one was my banks fault.

Did VZW tell you the charge was denied?

Roger
Anonymous
June 21, 2004 4:55:38 PM

> Peter Pan wrote:
>> than the default "000" verizon had, and the automatic monthly charge
>> was denied, at which point auto-pay was disabled and I had to
>> restart it. Much as I wanted to blame Verizon, I think this one was
>> my banks fault.
>
> Did VZW tell you the charge was denied?
>
> Roger

Nope, not directly, they sent me an email saying they were charging my CC,
but it never showed on the CC bill (they may have sent something else, but I
have a spam blocker ((mailwasher, it's free for download at
www.mailwasher.net)) and it may have been automatically deleted along with
the hundreds of spams I get a day (I have 7 email accounts, that hundreds a
day is for all my accounts). The next months bill showed previous amount due
and under previous payments showed "payment refused". Paid the bill and
redid autopay. Next bill (after the one I paid by CC) it was back on
auto-pay. The people at *611 had no clue what the problem was. Just thought
I'd mention it, since the OP's situation sounded similar.
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 12:35:16 AM

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 21:03:23 -0400, "Bob K., Jr." <No-mail@here.com>
wrote:
>Has anyone had any experience w/ using their phone in Montreal? My phone is
>based in the Phila/South Jersey region and I'm heading to Montreal next
>month. Is it close enough to the border to stay in service or is it
>considered a roaming area?

You'll find that native-Verizon service disappears once you get a mile or
so from the border, so you'll be roaming (either on Bell or Telus).
There's lots of digital coverage in the Montreal metropolitan area, but
it's analog only in the farmlands closer to the US border.

You didn't say what plan you have. If you have America's Choice, you'll
be charged US$0.69 per minute, plus taxes, for outgoing and incoming
calls.

(The above should not be confused with charges, if any, for calling
Canada while in the US.)

If you have North America's Choice or National SingleRate Plus Canada,
there's no extra charge. You could consider switching your plan if you
think you'll be using your phone a lot, but that could result in you
having to extend your contract and/or lose some features, such as free
calling to Canada, if you switch back to your original plan.
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 12:35:17 AM

Hey Bob:

I am on the America's Choice and will only be in Montreal for 5 nights, so
it won't really pay to completely switch my program. I'm currently not in a
contract and want to stay that way.

I was mostly planning on using the phone to check back on the baby, who will
stay with my Mother-In-Law.

I will just make some discretionary calls and keep the phone off the rest of
the time. I can always use text messaging instead and will probably get by
cheaper that way.

Thanks for the info.

Bob

"Bob Scheurle" <njtbob2@X-optonline-X.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 21:03:23 -0400, "Bob K., Jr." <No-mail@here.com>
> wrote:
> >Has anyone had any experience w/ using their phone in Montreal? My phone
is
> >based in the Phila/South Jersey region and I'm heading to Montreal next
> >month. Is it close enough to the border to stay in service or is it
> >considered a roaming area?
>
> You'll find that native-Verizon service disappears once you get a mile or
> so from the border, so you'll be roaming (either on Bell or Telus).
> There's lots of digital coverage in the Montreal metropolitan area, but
> it's analog only in the farmlands closer to the US border.
>
> You didn't say what plan you have. If you have America's Choice, you'll
> be charged US$0.69 per minute, plus taxes, for outgoing and incoming
> calls.
>
> (The above should not be confused with charges, if any, for calling
> Canada while in the US.)
>
> If you have North America's Choice or National SingleRate Plus Canada,
> there's no extra charge. You could consider switching your plan if you
> think you'll be using your phone a lot, but that could result in you
> having to extend your contract and/or lose some features, such as free
> calling to Canada, if you switch back to your original plan.

Anonymous
June 22, 2004 2:04:20 AM

On 21 Jun 2004 in alt.cellular.verizon, Bob K., Jr. wrote:

> I was mostly planning on using the phone to check back on the baby,
> who will stay with my Mother-In-Law.
>
> I will just make some discretionary calls and keep the phone off the
> rest of the time. I can always use text messaging instead and will
> probably get by cheaper that way.

Just go to a store somewhere and buy a $5 or $10 phonecard. At the
$.69/min Verizon charges for roaming, you'll spend $10 in under 15
minutes.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.net/

Great idea. I've gotten so used to having the cell phone with me, I never
thought of that. I'll pick up one when I'm there, if my phone shows it's
roaming.

Thanks Joe.

"Joe Makowiec" <makowiec@nycap.rEMOVECAPSr.com> wrote in message
> On 21 Jun 2004 in alt.cellular.verizon, Bob K., Jr. wrote:
>
> > I was mostly planning on using the phone to check back on the baby,
> > who will stay with my Mother-In-Law.
> >
> > I will just make some discretionary calls and keep the phone off the
> > rest of the time. I can always use text messaging instead and will
> > probably get by cheaper that way.
>
> Just go to a store somewhere and buy a $5 or $10 phonecard. At the
> $.69/min Verizon charges for roaming, you'll spend $10 in under 15
> minutes.
>
> --
> Joe Makowiec
> http://makowiec.net/
> Email: http://makowiec.net/email.php
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 6:27:54 AM

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 17:53:03 -0400, "Bob K., Jr." <No-mail@here.com>
wrote:
>I can always use text messaging instead and will probably get by
>cheaper that way.

That may or may not work in Montreal. I recall having some trouble on
one of my trips there.
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 2:46:49 PM

> Hey Bob:
>
> I am on the America's Choice and will only be in Montreal for 5
nights, so
> it won't really pay to completely switch my program. I'm currently
not in a
> contract and want to stay that way.
>
> I was mostly planning on using the phone to check back on the baby,
who will
> stay with my Mother-In-Law.
>
> I will just make some discretionary calls and keep the phone off the
rest of
> the time. I can always use text messaging instead and will probably
get by
> cheaper that way.
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> Bob

Ahh Grasshopper....That may not be the solution "Txt Messages" I have
found that any of the services I use *Txt and Web* do not function in
Montreal. When you call 611 you get a verizon operator/customer
service and they cannot figure out why you cannot. Under the Bell
Mobility and Telus agreements at their respective web sites in Canada
they offer text Messaging and Web Services for the cellular service
and it states that they will be able to do both on the Verizon network
(In a digital area) in the USA. However I have never gotten either
service to function in Montreal.

Last year I took my laptop with me and hooked up to the hotels Data
valet service which is in many of the hotels. Its expensive in that
they charge $30 CDN per day or a deal of $60 CDN per week. With the
exchange rate I took the week and it was like paying $25 US for the
service.

I did however get a fellow in the web department who stated I could go
into the settings and change my DNS settings for Montreal and that
should take care of the problem. It did not. I received a error
message about not having rights to use the service etc. I told this to
the fellow on the line and he said that it was strange since we have
agreements with both cellular companies.

Elector
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 2:48:20 PM

> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 17:53:03 -0400, "Bob K., Jr." <No-mail@here.com>
> wrote:
> >I can always use text messaging instead and will probably get by
> >cheaper that way.
>
> That may or may not work in Montreal. I recall having some trouble
on
> one of my trips there.

Bing, see my reply to this as well. Huge trouble..! But when you call
verizon customer service they tell you that Text Messaging and Mobile
Web both function. They don't

Elector
!