a8n8x - Important info per dual channel memory

fiask0

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
I have an a7n8x version 1.04 and just installed the new bios that enables the 400mhz FSB and the dual channel memory confirmation string in the bios.

I had been running my memory in slots 2 & 3, per the manual that states:

" To enhance system performance, utilize dual-channel feature when installing additional DIMMs. You may install the DIMMs in the following sequence: Sockets 1 and 3 or Sockets 2 and 3 or Sockets 1, 2, and 3. " --- pg 14 of the manual.

I had two sticks of corsair pc2400 256mb installed in slots 2 and 3, however upon installation of the new bios, it said i was only in single channel mode. I switched the memory to slots 1 and 3 and it gave confirmation of the dual channel memory.

Please note that alot of people, including myself, have recommended either slots 1/3 or 2/3 for dual channel, but this might not be correct. Either there is a bug in this bios detecting dual channel in 2/3, or 2/3 does not really activate dual channel. Here is the location of the new bios

<A HREF="http://www.asus.com/news/2003/20030517.htm" target="_new">http://www.asus.com/news/2003/20030517.htm</A>

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
Well, this detection method contradicts the manual (as it exists today) and all the other nForce2 motherboards that i'm aware of. It was probably used to avoid ambiguity. Maybe someone with two memory modules and an nForce2 motherboard (preferably A7n8x / A7n8x deluxe but any others are welcome) could do the following:

Step 1: Download and install <A HREF="http://www.aida32.hu/aida-download.php?bit=32" target="_new">AIDA32</A>.

Step 2: Execute AIDA32.

Step 3: Navigate to Benchmark->Memory Read. It will perform a memory benchmark test. Record the result. Perform the test 4 more times (press the refresh button in order to run another test - it is the button with the two arrows arranged in a circle), recording the result each time, so that we may obtain an average - a more reliable number.

Step 4: Navigate to Benchmark->Memory Write. It will perform a test. Record the result. Perform the test 4 more times.

Step 5: Calculate the average for Read and write for all three memory arrangements (2 memory modules): 1 & 2, 1 & 3, 2 & 3. Note: Slot 3 is the slot that looks distant from the other two slots.

Return your results to this forum in the following form:

==================
Motherboard: ?
FSB (the setting in BIOS): ?
Details about memory modules (as much info as you can provide): ?
Details about memory settings in BIOS (as much info as you can provide): (Memory timings, memory speed): ?
==================
Slots 1 & 2
Average Memory Read: ?
Average Memory Write: ?
==================
Slots 1 & 3:
==================
Slots 2 & 3:
==================

* It may be easier to notice a difference if the memory is at a high speed.

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
Strange... I got my RAM on slot 2 & 3 and the POST states that I'm on dual channel. So does Asus make same mobo line by diffrent method??? May be I'll try slot 1/2 &1/3 to see what will happen.

It is morally wrong to allow suckers to keep their money
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

fiask0

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
hrm, maybe i have a defective motherboard?? I haven't had any stability problems whatsoever. Its just that in slots 2&3 it says i'm in single channel mode, whereas in 1&3 it says i'm in dual channel

soulprovider

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
Dual channel for me too using 2&3 on A7N8X Delux. These are 256 meg single sided sticks and work at 333 & 400

<b>Vorsprung durch Dontwerk</b>.....<i>as they say at VIA</i>

Davyd7

Distinguished
May 21, 2003
Theres a post in forums over at www.motherboards.org that I started sbout this ! There was guy who replied saying he had a prob with corsair memory when using this board !!
My question was similar
I wanted to know if I could put another stick of ram in slot 2 and still get my dual channel [ it says you can the manual] i wanted to be sure before forking out for a 512 stick to place between the two 256's I have in slot 1 + 2 ? [crucial Branded]

Prof133

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2003
Theres a post in forums over at www.motherboards.org that I started sbout this ! There was guy who replied saying he had a prob with corsair memory when using this board !!
There was an issue with this board and a certain batch of corsair memory but that has been addressed.
I wanted to know if I could put another stick of ram in slot 2 and still get my dual channel [ it says you can the manual] i wanted to be sure before forking out for a 512 stick to place between the two 256's I have in slot 1 + 2 ? [crucial Branded]
If you add another 512MB stick, put in the memory slot that seems to be distant from the other two memory slots. Then put your two current 256MB memory modules in the two remaining slots. The Result: memory balanced across the two channels, 1GB in Dual DDR.