Please help, I have a new computer and am struggling to save images in their
original format, ie when I right click an image from a web site and 'save as'
it does not keep the original file name and extension...it just comes up with
untitled and in bitmap format...I had this problem the last time I changed
computers but cannot for the life of me remember how to rectify this... I am
running XP Home edition...

It's time to perform some computer housecleaning chores:

Go to Start > Run and type: CLEANMGR.EXE , and hit enter.
This will start your disk cleanup utility. Make sure to cleanup
your Temporary Internet Files.

Internet Explorer Saves Images As Bitmaps (.bmp Files)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810978&Product=ie600

Internet Explorer Does Not Save Graphics Files in the Proper Format
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260650&Product=ie600

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"odd.bod" wrote:

| Please help, I have a new computer and am struggling to save images in their
| original format, ie when I right click an image from a web site and 'save as'
| it does not keep the original file name and extension...it just comes up with
| untitled and in bitmap format...I had this problem the last time I changed
| computers but cannot for the life of me remember how to rectify this... I am
| running XP Home edition...

Hi

Try emptying the Temporary Internet Files folder. Open Internet Explorer
and go to Tools>Internet Options and then click on 'Delete files...'. Try
saving the files again.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"odd.bod" <odd.bod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please help, I have a new computer and am struggling to save images in
> their
> original format, ie when I right click an image from a web site and 'save
> as'
> it does not keep the original file name and extension...it just comes up
> with
> untitled and in bitmap format...I had this problem the last time I changed
> computers but cannot for the life of me remember how to rectify this... I
> am
> running XP Home edition...

Thanks to both replies, yes this has helped greatly, once again thanks for
your time.

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Try emptying the Temporary Internet Files folder. Open Internet Explorer
> and go to Tools>Internet Options and then click on 'Delete files...'. Try
> saving the files again.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups.
>

> "odd.bod" <odd.bod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Please help, I have a new computer and am struggling to save images in
> > their
> > original format, ie when I right click an image from a web site and 'save
> > as'
> > it does not keep the original file name and extension...it just comes up
> > with
> > untitled and in bitmap format...I had this problem the last time I changed
> > computers but cannot for the life of me remember how to rectify this... I
> > am
> > running XP Home edition...

You're welcome.