sp2 question

Is it true that on April 14th anyone who doesn't have Sp2 will have it
installed on their computer whether they want it or not?
3 answers Last reply
More about question

    No. Not true. Corporations will not be able to block the downloads, but
    that is a different situation.

    It is true that subsequent updates and patches will be unavailable to any
    one without SP2 at some point.

    The April date concerns a blocker program made available to companies and
    not to individuals.

    Be aware that more and more software will rely on SP2 as time goes on.

    "chere" <chere@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is it true that on April 14th anyone who doesn't have Sp2 will have it
    > installed on their computer whether they want it or not?

    Windows XP SP2 will be delivered to all Windows XP and Windows XP Service Pack 1 systems
    via the Windows Update web site after April 12, 2005. It will not be automatically installed
    since you must accept the EULA before it will install. If for some reason you wish to not
    install SP2, then do not accept the EULA for SP2 when prompted to do so. Over 180 million
    Windows XP users have now installed SP2. I would encourage you to do the same as it is
    a major security enhancement to Windows XP.

    Ref: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2aumng.mspx

    Windows XP Service Pack 2
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx

    Got questions about Windows XP SP2?
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=windowsxpsp2

    Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "chere" wrote:

    | Is it true that on April 14th anyone who doesn't have Sp2 will have it
    | installed on their computer whether they want it or not?

    Absolutely FALSE.
    Although some media have reported such.
    Bad journalism and half truths are to blame:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/forcesp2.htm

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "chere" <chere@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is it true that on April 14th anyone who doesn't have Sp2 will have it
    > installed on their computer whether they want it or not?

Computers Microsoft Windows XP