sp2 question

March 12, 2005 4:49:01 PM

Is it true that on April 14th anyone who doesn't have Sp2 will have it
installed on their computer whether they want it or not?

More about : sp2 question

Anonymous
March 12, 2005 6:02:20 PM

No. Not true. Corporations will not be able to block the downloads, but
that is a different situation.

It is true that subsequent updates and patches will be unavailable to any
one without SP2 at some point.

The April date concerns a blocker program made available to companies and
not to individuals.

Be aware that more and more software will rely on SP2 as time goes on.

"chere" <chere@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it true that on April 14th anyone who doesn't have Sp2 will have it
> installed on their computer whether they want it or not?
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 7:13:31 PM

Windows XP SP2 will be delivered to all Windows XP and Windows XP Service Pack 1 systems
via the Windows Update web site after April 12, 2005. It will not be automatically installed
since you must accept the EULA before it will install. If for some reason you wish to not
install SP2, then do not accept the EULA for SP2 when prompted to do so. Over 180 million
Windows XP users have now installed SP2. I would encourage you to do the same as it is
a major security enhancement to Windows XP.

Ref: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/m...

Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx

Got questions about Windows XP SP2?
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=windowsxps...

Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp...

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"chere" wrote:

| Is it true that on April 14th anyone who doesn't have Sp2 will have it
| installed on their computer whether they want it or not?
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 10:45:11 PM

Absolutely FALSE.
Although some media have reported such.
Bad journalism and half truths are to blame:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/forcesp2.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar