Upgrading a Win98 SE machine...

TrickyBuddha

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2002
A friend of mine bought a V2 Premier Viscom computer. The BioStar M6VLB motherboard seems to have 64 megs of ram with 8 megs dedicated to shared video, and a 533 MHz celeron processor. It's running Win98 SE.

Really, he's only using it to play music CDs, run office suite applications, and surf the internet via AOL. Still, it's kind of sluggish and he's wondering if there's anything he can do to pep it up.

I suggested he get some RAM. He has two DIMM slots, and I thought maybe he could throw away the 64 in there, and buy two sticks of 128 MB PC133 SD RAM. Is this a good suggestion?

What about processor? It looks like the board, from what I have seen on the web, could house a 1.1 GHz Pentium 3. Does that sound right?

Would either of these two suggestions make much of a difference for what he is doing? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Pentium III 1.10 was an OEM-only part not available to normal people. You'd be looking for a Coppermine core Celeron 1100 or 1000, those are the old ones with 128k cache. The newer versions don't work on older boards without an adapter. An adapter such as the Lin-Lin would probably allow a Celeron 1400.

Truthfully, I wouldn't use 128MB DIMMs, I'd toss in 1 256MB DIMM.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>