Captainhero

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Right I keep seeing posts about TF2 and I am interested. Trouble is I have bf2, 2142, CSS, L4D, COD4 - Is it worth me getting TF2. Is it that good? Someone convince me!

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
TF2 is great fun, 'nuff said. Buy the Orange Box, that way you get the entire Half Life 2 line, and of course... Portal!

It's pretty cheap these days too.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
I may have tilted view, but in my opinion TF2 is the funniest game ever created (for online team FPS).

The game dynamics is amazing, the variety of levels and game types, the community, but more important the huge amount of PURE FUN :bounce:

Did I mention that it is fun?

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
I am in the same boat Capn. I used to play BF2, 2142, a little COD4, and primarily L4D right now.

I gave it a try for a couple of weeks when I got the orange box as an xmas gift to #1 but I just couldn''t get into it. The other factor was that I got L4D a few weeks after that so I never revisited TF2.

I couldn't score points, everyone yelled at me for being a crappy teammate, and I died a lot......a very lot. I was trying to play it right too and be capn teamwork, not capn run out alone solo style and screw your team over guy.

I think my deal is that I want start in and kill stuff right away....TF2 might take a little more time to learn than what I gave it. I need some convincing too!

Andhrimnir

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009
TF2 is an all around great game, and a must-have. It will appeal both to hardcore FPS fans and casual players. It's great fun.

You can pick up The Orange Box (includes Half Life 2, Portal, and TF2) for $10 on Steam this weekend - give it a go. I have no doubt you'll find it addictive and hilarious.

EDIT: Yeah, TF2 does have a bit of a learning curve. If you already play other online FPS games your reflexes should be fine - it's more about learning the roles of each class. If you have trouble at first (some classes are somewhat easier to start out as) get on the TF2 Wiki (google for link) and click your favorite class. Scroll down and there should be strategy tips, strengths/weaknesses, etc. It helped me a LOT. Also, I found it much easier to learn the maps when I knew them by name. If you're going "gee, what map is this??" open the map info (i by default) and check. It's confusing at first because some maps have several stages.

Overall, still, it's an excellent game. Humorous, fast-paced, and fun. I can't recommend it enough - I get more fun out of that game than half the rest of my gaming collection combined.

simplyderp

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
I've played TF2 for 210+ hours since its release and the game is still exciting, thanks to the humor, wide and diverse selection of characters, game mechanics, and great players.

Captainhero

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Just bought the orange box! Sounds like i will enjoy it, and your bound to die loads when startin a new fps u gotta learn the map. Which I dont mind doing, ive just started playin eve and that is a learnin curve!
I'll c u in game! :)

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
It depends what kind of noob your are. If you are noob in FPS you may want to try pyro. It requires less aiming, just ran into the guy (preferably from behind) and burn them.

But I think the overall easiest class for a noob is a doctor. Just heal everyone and do not go to fight too much. The master part of doctor is when to deploy the uber charge and spy protection (God, I hate spies!). You will be guaranteed thanks from the team, and relatively high score. Just do not forget to constantly move and use cover when possible and do not heal your own spies when they are in the mask! You will also learn a lot about other classes, becasue you will see how the other players play.

My favorite class is solder - very straightforward and well defined role with lot's of skills required to play! There is no better satisfaction in the game than to kill several people by single crit rocket!

"Last man alive locks the door!"
- Solder

Captainhero

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Well I have been having lots of fun as a sniper, gotta get those headshots tho!! And I have started to hate spies too, (the amount of times those fu**ers have stabbed me in the back!!) im gonna try that class next ;)

Cuddles

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
Any class is pretty good from what I have seen. I thought the Soldier sucked and then I got the hang of it. Once you find a few good spots you can pretty much control the flow of the battle.