New phone added to account

Last response: in Network Providers
June 21, 2004 7:54:40 AM

I ported my wife's T-Mobile phone over to VZW today. I already have one
phone and a corporate discount, so I brought hers over to VZW (T-Mobile
offered horrible upgrades and she'd been with them forever), as well.

The port was actually completed before I even got back home (in about 10
minutes max). I was amazed at how fast they got it done. However, the
T-Mobile phone can still make a call out. The new VZW phone can both make
and receive calls with the ported number. I did notice a couple of text
messages dropped in on the old T-Mobile phone hours after the port was
complete as well, but subsequent test messages went to the new VZW phone. I
called T-Mobile and the rep said to wait a few hours to see if the T-Mobile
phone will stop allowing outbound calls.

Does this usually take longer on one carrier than the other? I assumed the
new phone would become active the same time the old one was deactivated, but
that did not happen.

Thanks

More about : phone added account

Anonymous
June 22, 2004 4:28:22 PM

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 03:54:40 GMT, S. Byers wrote:

> I ported my wife's T-Mobile phone over to VZW today. I already have one
> phone and a corporate discount, so I brought hers over to VZW (T-Mobile
> offered horrible upgrades and she'd been with them forever), as well.
>
> The port was actually completed before I even got back home (in about 10
> minutes max). I was amazed at how fast they got it done.

I find this hard to believe, since T-Mobile uses GSM, while VZW uses CDMA.
The phone would be incompatible and no VZW store would activate it.
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 4:28:23 PM

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:28:22 GMT, Traveling Man <none@none.com> wrote:

>I find this hard to believe, since T-Mobile uses GSM, while VZW uses CDMA.
>The phone would be incompatible and no VZW store would activate it.

I'm guessing he meant he ported his phone NUMBER, not phone. Notice he
says that the t-mobile phone would still make calls out, but the new
verizon phone got all the incoming calls.
June 23, 2004 6:39:49 PM

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 11:23:06 -0700, Evan Platt wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:28:22 GMT, Traveling Man <none@none.com> wrote:
>
>>I find this hard to believe, since T-Mobile uses GSM, while VZW uses CDMA.
>>The phone would be incompatible and no VZW store would activate it.
>
> I'm guessing he meant he ported his phone NUMBER, not phone. Notice he
> says that the t-mobile phone would still make calls out, but the new
> verizon phone got all the incoming calls.

In re-reading the post I think you may be right.
Sorry for the confusion.
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 7:14:10 AM

Sorry for the delayed reply. Yes, I did mean the phone number was ported,
not the phone. A T-Mobile (or any GSM phone for that matter) would
definitely not work on the VZW network.

By the next morning, T-Mobile had deactivated the original phone and I was
no longer able to make a call out. They may have delayed the cancellation
slightly to make sure the port went through. I am not really sure.

Sorry for the confusion.

!