Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

CPU vs GPU? what should be the 1st priority

Last response: in Video Games
Share
April 25, 2009 6:25:01 PM

:hello:  hey guys i m from Pakistan, Really need help from u all...

wanna put some power in my secondary gaming pc..

i am confused that for gaming the GPU is the main thin or the CPU...
i have 2 choises:

1)pentium dual core e5200, ASUS P5K-PL-CM, Corsair DHX 800 2X1GB DDR2, 320gb 16MB cache Seagate, Promedia Casing with PSU, a decent card like 9600gt(EVGA OR XFX) MAX.

2)Core 2 Quad Q8200, ASUS P5K-PL-CM, Corsair DHX 800 2X1GB DDR2, 320gb 16MB cache Seagate, Promedia Casing with PSU, BILTON GPU( :D  :D  :D  ).

on some benchmarks like http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php i get q8200 on the top even toper than the e84's,85's and q660... and i may consider future gfx upgrade.... but would it actually worth it...

i can get the e5200( :sol:  ) (for which i have seen great beNch marks of gaming) REMEMBER I WON'T OVERCLOCK ANY WAY...IN THE PROMEDIA CASING I DON'T KNOW IS IT RELIABLE n i am also cooling concious so im into 45nm.... end ripp a decend high-end 9600gt and unleash gaming now or is the quad worth it....

REMEMBER AGAIN SPENDING 3200 REALLY COUNTS 2 ME A LOT BCAUSE THERE IS A TERA DIFERANCE HERE...AND I WANT TO MAKE IT UP A minimum 3YEAR GAMIN ADVENTURE PC... CAN SACRIFICE XTREME DETAILS :p 

pls advice all TOM'S

THANKS X2

More about : cpu gpu 1st priority

April 26, 2009 12:38:42 AM

hmm... go for better GPU, all processors are the same as the games' settings get turned up, however at lower settings there will be a difference among CPUs as the burden gets shifted to the CPU.

that Pentium dual core is okay. but I would suggest an Core 2 Duo.

oh, and what choices do you have in Pakistan? i do not know what they offer there, it would be nice if you can offer an general idea of what they have in stores. Do they sell AMD processors? Nvida or ATI graphic cards?
April 26, 2009 10:02:08 AM

1USD=80RS

about core2duo... i CAN get E7400 2.8GHZ 3MB Cache 1066FSB by 10000rs (4000rs more on dualcore)... but then i am struck why dunt i get Q8200 then by 14500rs it's gud for the future....

Generally speaking they have every thing here... AMD(Limited warranty).. INTEL(Full warranty)... both ATI and NVEDIA gpu's are avilable... in EVGA...XFX...BFG..HIS..ENNO3D

GPU'S:
"XFX"
*NVEDIA>>ranging from 7200GS(2100rs) to GTX295(51000rs)
*ATI>>from 4650(6400rs) to 4890(27000rs)


CPU'S:
*INTEL>>atom-dualcores-core2duos-core2quads-xtremes-xeons-i7 nearly all best ranges of them.
*AMD>>x2's, phenoms x3's x4's as well as Phenom2 (i actualy liked X3 710 PHENOM II it's about 14000 cheaper than q8200 but it's having only ECS780GMA(8200rs)+HD3200 ON BOARD compatible here... which didn't seem a reliable idea as AMD have 1yr limited warranty and ECS boards are knowed to be unreliable... have any ideas?)

for further more apropriate refer: www.galaxy.com.pk

aLSO pls REMEBER: **I AM INCLINED TOWARDS STRATEGY GAMES "MORE" LIKE... RA3..SUPREME COMANDER..WOT(WAR ON TERROR)..etc etc but i'd lay down my life for CRYSIS and GTA4 too....
****I HAVE A LOW RESOLUTION LCD (16" @1360*768 widescreen VIEWSONIC with VGA only) so would the low resolution DECREASE LOAD OFF' THE CPU OR GPU?.. A MAJOR FACTOR DECIDING....

THANX FOR UR support again... specially 2 CHRONOBODI
Related resources
April 26, 2009 10:05:24 AM

re: 1USD=80RS

about core2duo... i CAN get E7400 2.8GHZ 3MB Cache 1066FSB by 10000rs (4000rs more on dualcore)... but then i am struck why dunt i get Q8200 then by 14500rs it's gud for the future....

Generally speaking they have every thing here... AMD(Limited warranty).. INTEL(Full warranty)... both ATI and NVEDIA gpu's are avilable... in EVGA...XFX...BFG..HIS..ENNO3D

GPU'S:
"XFX"
*NVEDIA>>ranging from 7200GS(2100rs) to GTX295(51000rs)
*ATI>>from 4650(6400rs) to 4890(27000rs)


CPU'S:
*INTEL>>atom-dualcores-core2duos-core2quads-xtremes-xeons-i7 nearly all best ranges of them.
*AMD>>x2's, phenoms x3's x4's as well as Phenom2 (i actualy liked X3 710 PHENOM II it's about 14000 cheaper than q8200 but it's having only ECS780GMA(8200rs)+HD3200 ON BOARD compatible here... which didn't seem a reliable idea as AMD have 1yr limited warranty and ECS boards are knowed to be unreliable... have any ideas?)

for further more apropriate refer: www.galaxy.com.pk

aLSO pls REMEBER: **I AM INCLINED TOWARDS STRATEGY GAMES "MORE" LIKE... RA3..SUPREME COMANDER..WOT(WAR ON TERROR)..etc etc but i'd lay down my life for CRYSIS and GTA4 too....
****I HAVE A LOW RESOLUTION LCD (16" @1360*768 widescreen VIEWSONIC with VGA only) so would the low resolution DECREASE LOAD OFF' THE CPU OR GPU?.. A MAJOR FACTOR DECIDING....

THANX FOR UR support again... specially 2 CHRONOBODI
April 26, 2009 11:00:12 AM

Quad core isn't that good for gaming go with the E5200 (a shame that you do not overclock) and give the rest of the money for a good graphic card (maybe 9800gt?).
April 26, 2009 1:18:29 PM

Also 2G more memory would be helpful if its possible.
The difference in price between 2X1GB DDR2, and 2x2gb DDR2 shouldnt be very big.
The performance increase will pay for itself especially in games.

The case that you mentioned I cant find to look at. I can only see the name.
Does it come with a PSU?
Be careful about that to be sure you get a good PSU. Its important to have reliable power or it could cause a problem.
April 27, 2009 2:59:29 AM

-yeah 9800gt prices droped think il will go with it...
-ill try taking up 2x2gb..
-the Promedia Case DOES come with a PSU... may b 350-450watts..

1)at the specs of the P5KPL-CM it says that it supports 1066*OC.. now do i put the 1066fsb kits or 800fsbkits? what would give me the best performance. 'overclocking the 800kits or putting already 1066fsb kits, is it reliable?'

2)which kit do i go for kingston HyperX 1066 2x2gb/ Corsair DHX 1066 2x2gb?

3)should i go for XFX or EVGA for GPU... EVGA seems to be the price leader here(more costly)?
April 27, 2009 2:45:13 PM

ddr2-800 ram will give you the performance you need it's not worth spending any extra money on ddr2-1066 ram...

Even ddr2-667 ram would be fast enough for the E5200 (high multipliert low fsb...)
April 27, 2009 3:35:45 PM

I didn't really read through all of your post, but GPU is definitely the way to go for gaming. I have a secondary gaming PC and just by updating the GPU I've been able to keep it playing all new games at good settings despite having a crappy CPU (Pentium 820D) and only 2GB of RAM. Basically over the past 4 years I've taken the old GPU from my main rig and put it in that one and it still does pretty well even with newer games. Right now I have a 8800GTS 512MB in there and it plays most games at 1920x1080 at medium/high (some very high) settings. A 9800GT is about the same as that GPU, but any dual core CPU you pick up now a days is going to blow that 820D out of the water, so you should be all set.
April 27, 2009 5:13:02 PM

thaks for ur help... supp..n time guys...
wow.. that means that finally i'l go with the following specs:

-pentium dual core E5200(800fsb/2mb cache)
-Asus P5KPK-CM
-2x2gb @ 800fsb
-320gb Seagate(16mb cache)
-9600gt/9800gt
-promedia casing + PSU

do u think this will be the best specs for value of money and gaming...?

secondly pls also answer:
1)shud i go for KINGSTON HYPERX 2x2gb 800fsb VS CORSAIR DHX 2x2gb 800fsb?
2)9600gt vs 9800gt (i have seen in many places 9600gt is better as per value of money... it doesnt matter much because their price diff is not much)?
April 27, 2009 6:12:31 PM

One thing to consider though is that you most probably will upgrade your vidio cards in future, but doubfully CPU, becasue CPU upgrade is usually limited by mobo and most of the time it does not make sense to upgrade CPU withing limitation of the board.

I would personally go for Core 2 duo, may be with slightly slower speed than 2.8MHz to save money and with cheaper card. You will have worse performance today, but in a year or two you will buy new video card for upgrade to keep with the time. Such system will serve you longer.
April 27, 2009 8:20:30 PM

e5200 paired with 9600 GT is an even balanced system.
April 28, 2009 5:58:05 AM

dear "enthusiast" that was and is the biggest confusion basically i had 3 choises:

1)q8200(C2Q)+p5kpl-cm+initial bilton memory usage
2)e7400(C2D)+p5kpl-cm+9500GT
3)E5200(PDC)+p5kpl-cm+9600GT

IF I SEE FUTURE THAN WHY GO 2 CD2 I SHOULD GO WITH Q8200 INITIALLY AND THEN UPGRADE THE GPU AFTR 7-9months possiblily 1yr (when GPU prices go down further). ***but whether i go with PDC/C2D/C2Q the motherboard(P5KPL-CM) SUPPORTS ALL.

IT WAS ALL BUJGET GAME THAT'S WHY I PUT DOWN THE TOPIC GPU vs CPU...

however as per votes i decided going E5200+9600GT... guyes if there is awrong point even now PLS CORRECT ME UP . NO OFFENCE..THAKS
April 28, 2009 9:47:57 AM

hmm... go with number 2...

the crappy pentium e5200 will bottleneck any GPU you get with it, so no #3

yea i see... no other choice than ECS for AMD mobos, that sucks...
would've been cool if they listed some gigabyte boards, those are top-quality.

From the current list, ya gotta go with Intel.

Galaxy can't be the only Pakistani computer site, any other?
April 28, 2009 11:50:04 AM

go for the e5200 and 9600gt. The 9500GT is a serious step down.
April 28, 2009 12:33:43 PM

The 9600GT is about 80% faster than the 9500GT at 1280x1024.
April 28, 2009 2:13:01 PM

Chronobodi said:
hmm... go with number 2...

the crappy pentium e5200 will bottleneck any GPU you get with it, so no #3

yea i see... no other choice than ECS for AMD mobos, that sucks...
would've been cool if they listed some gigabyte boards, those are top-quality.

From the current list, ya gotta go with Intel.

Galaxy can't be the only Pakistani computer site, any other?


yeah dude it rEALLY SUCKS :(  ...actually galaxy is one of the hundreds of dealers in pakistan but BEST (10 out of thousands)
so i prfer it.. gigabyte and the rest WOULD b avl here 2... but the barrier of BUJGET exist b/w me and them :(  ......... we have got great rigs over here 2.... i CAN build a i7 rig right away.. but i want 2 make it of totally my self... im still a student... when il b done.. il make my fantasies true.... jus a liltle more sacrifice however cuming to the situation here:

initially... phenomII with GIGABYTE or any other is crossing my bujget and since intel(r) is the market leader in PAKISTAN and it have a briiliant service with 3YEAR FULL warranty... it is relaible and worth investing... i think AMD failed here bcasue they make harware for cooler regions and have a poor service with LIMITED WARRANTY...

i m still confused guys:

1)q8200+P5kpl-cm
2)E7400+P5kpl-cm+9500GT
3)E5200+P5kpl-cm+9600GT/9800GT


PLS................................................................................................................................................................................

i found 2 more sites :www.beliscity.com
:www.shophive.com
which seems gud and may have gaming boards.... have time then check them 2
April 28, 2009 5:32:18 PM

well... Is there a little bit better CPU for #3, like, just a tiny bit better? modify #3, and change the proc to anything besides the crappy pentium.

and yea, check those 2 sites, there might be better deals, but what do i know. what's the Pakistani version of Newegg?
April 30, 2009 5:16:10 AM

Chronobodi said:
well... Is there a little bit better CPU for #3, like, just a tiny bit better? modify #3, and change the proc to anything besides the crappy pentium.

and yea, check those 2 sites, there might be better deals, but what do i know. what's the Pakistani version of Newegg?


ok.. i a came up with some mods:

1)q8200+p5kpl-cm+1gb ddr2 corsair 800fsb**+(saving $90 and increasing them over few months *6m-8mths time and then buying a 9600gt and then further savings after 4-5months for 2x2gbddrII)
2)e7400+p5kpl-cm+1gb ddr2 corsair 800fsb**+9600gt
3)e5200+p5kpl-cm+2x2gb@800fsb**+9600gt/9800gt

now.....................
April 30, 2009 7:13:40 AM

no GPU for #1? confused on that one... unless "cm" is a gpu...

#2 is good, but 1GB ram is kinda low nowadays... enough for XP, but if you're doing Vista, you need 2 GB to function right, 4 GB for optimal performance... But, you could probably throw in another 1 GB later anyway...

#3... still a crappy cpu, however plenty of ram and a possible 9800gt... choices choices...

i'll say #3, GPU counts more than CPU as you turn the settings up anyway... and that crappy Pentium dual core will do any game fine, since all CPUs get bottlenecked, even the high-end ones, by the GPU. You can save up more money later and replace the CPU, which will let your GPU perform to its potential, since the CPU ain't that crappy anymore.

it seems it is out of your budget to upgrade the CPU for #3 for now anyway...

PS: What operating system?
April 30, 2009 8:42:09 AM

definitely go for the 3rd choice. the extra RAM and better GPU will make much more of a difference to your gaming experience than the processor upgrades in the other 2 options.
May 1, 2009 8:03:45 AM

Chronobodi said:
no GPU for #1? confused on that one... unless "cm" is a gpu...

#2 is good, but 1GB ram is kinda low nowadays... enough for XP, but if you're doing Vista, you need 2 GB to function right, 4 GB for optimal performance... But, you could probably throw in another 1 GB later anyway...

#3... still a crappy cpu, however plenty of ram and a possible 9800gt... choices choices...

i'll say #3, GPU counts more than CPU as you turn the settings up anyway... and that crappy Pentium dual core will do any game fine, since all CPUs get bottlenecked, even the high-end ones, by the GPU. You can save up more money later and replace the CPU, which will let your GPU perform to its potential, since the CPU ain't that crappy anymore.

it seems it is out of your budget to upgrade the CPU for #3 for now anyway...

PS: What operating system?



dude #1 meant using q8200+ only mobo bilton graphics initially and then after 6-8months saving purchasing a 9600gt then 3-4months later for ram.
#2 meant using e7400+ 9600gt with low ram... ram can b upgraded within 2-4months anyway
#3 meant making a rig READY (probably 9600gt) but off course with lower end cpu.... which can take more than a year to b upgraded to C2D and possibly 1yr 6months for Quad... (WHICH IS A LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG SPAN)

****NOTE: ;)  i will install VISTA, 7 and XP triplet.... but will use mainly XP(x64/x32/x86) for GAMING****
I THINK PERSONALLY THAT INITIAL 1GB @800 WOULD BE ENOUGH FOR XP... LATER WITHIN 4-6months I WILL UPGRADE TO 2X2GB TWIN KIT @ 800... I THINK #2 IS A BETTER OPTION BECAUSE UPGRADING RAM IS EASIER AND MUCH SAFER N EARLIER THAN PROCESSOR UPGRADE... IF I PUT 2X1GB @ 800... I THINK STILL GAMING WOULD BE NO PROBLEM WITH XP****

I AM I RIGHT?

also... i wana play GTA4 too... it says RECOMENED :QUAD CORE and REQUIRES:CORE2DUO.... does QUAD protential really matters in GTA4... i havnt seen any marks
May 1, 2009 8:06:40 AM

mi1ez said:
definitely go for the 3rd choice. the extra RAM and better GPU will make much more of a difference to your gaming experience than the processor upgrades in the other 2 options.

#2 meant using e7400+ 9600gt with low ram... ram can b upgraded within 3-5months anyway
May 1, 2009 1:13:00 PM

I would go with #2.
Crysis and GTA4 will want more memory, but you say you are going to do that later.

If there is any way possible I would try to get the 9800 GT. I think you will be happier with it but you can possibly get that later also.

As for the Q8200 there arent that many things out that will use it correctly so you will be safe for some time with the E7400.
May 1, 2009 5:30:13 PM

pat mcgroin said:
I would go with #2.
Crysis and GTA4 will want more memory, but you say you are going to do that later.

If there is any way possible I would try to get the 9800 GT. I think you will be happier with it but you can possibly get that later also.

As for the Q8200 there arent that many things out that will use it correctly so you will be safe for some time with the E7400.


:bounce:  thanks man.. my heart strings say ur actually riTe...
May 1, 2009 5:33:49 PM

i know dis is a crap question but guys do u know about hd4650 with 1GB DDRII @ 1000fsb it's much cheaper than 9800gt/9600gt...
May 2, 2009 5:48:57 AM

I GOTTA ASK ONE MORE IMP QUESTION..

i have a low resolution lcd @1366*768 so:
1) does this effect gaming pressure on the machine? (good/bad)
2) what will it affect most. the GPU or CPU?
May 2, 2009 9:08:00 AM

1) No but running at a certain resolution will.

On the duel core or quad core question I feel and my family feels that my quad core computer runs better than my duel core. Bench mark wise it shows that a duel core vs a Quad Core there isn't much difference but real world is something much different.
If all you plan on doing is "just gaming" then a duel core is fine but when you are downloading, running tasks, and gaming a Quad Core seems to make a hell of a lot of difference. Even background tasks you would never think about can effect how a computer reacts.
Just something to think about when you read on Benchmarks and duel core vs quad core debate.
May 2, 2009 6:46:51 PM

Cuddles said:
1) No but running at a certain resolution will.

On the duel core or quad core question I feel and my family feels that my quad core computer runs better than my duel core. Bench mark wise it shows that a duel core vs a Quad Core there isn't much difference but real world is something much different.
If all you plan on doing is "just gaming" then a duel core is fine but when you are downloading, running tasks, and gaming a Quad Core seems to make a hell of a lot of difference. Even background tasks you would never think about can effect how a computer reacts.
Just something to think about when you read on Benchmarks and duel core vs quad core debate.


dat's right but i thing in a more REAL world it's all what's called MARKETING every body in a RACE splatter others... hell i think a duel core and core2duo is enough.. well ur r right in a sense that because we r being exploited into the race of power... we actually think about it...
that's a great de-Bate man...

(((initially i am asking that 1)keeping lower res @1366*768 @ 16"widescreen lcd for GOOD not GREAT gaming*(which is nearly imposible even if you got i7) will effect my GPU or my CPU more? (e7400+9600gt+1gb ram initial fine?)

and dat's NO offence jus 4 fun,..... :) 
May 5, 2009 6:58:37 AM

i'd go with a mediocre dual core with a decent GPU if you're on a budget and are trying to balance performance, especially for gaming. I believe that on tomshardware somewhere, they have a "how many cores do you need for gaming" article, or something like that.

If you are running it at that resolution, you won't need as good of a GPU as if you wanted to run it at a higher resolution. Personally, i see it as a benefit, because it means you can only have graphics so high, which means you won't need as powerful of a GPU.

On a final note, this is all very subjective. Right now, I have an old athalon 64 3000+ single core and an nVidia 8600gt, and can still run *most* games, but at low quality. Even a basic dual core, and a 9600gt would be a huge improvement.
May 8, 2009 5:11:12 PM

whycough said:
i'd go with a mediocre dual core with a decent GPU if you're on a budget and are trying to balance performance, especially for gaming. I believe that on tomshardware somewhere, they have a "how many cores do you need for gaming" article, or something like that.

If you are running it at that resolution, you won't need as good of a GPU as if you wanted to run it at a higher resolution. Personally, i see it as a benefit, because it means you can only have graphics so high, which means you won't need as powerful of a GPU.

On a final note, this is all very subjective. Right now, I have an old athalon 64 3000+ single core and an nVidia 8600gt, and can still run *most* games, but at low quality. Even a basic dual core, and a 9600gt would be a huge improvement.


REALLY appreciate your thoughts........ thanx :) 
May 13, 2009 4:31:08 PM

Chronobodi said:
no GPU for #1? confused on that one... unless "cm" is a gpu...

#2 is good, but 1GB ram is kinda low nowadays... enough for XP, but if you're doing Vista, you need 2 GB to function right, 4 GB for optimal performance... But, you could probably throw in another 1 GB later anyway...

#3... still a crappy cpu, however plenty of ram and a possible 9800gt... choices choices...

i'll say #3, GPU counts more than CPU as you turn the settings up anyway... and that crappy Pentium dual core will do any game fine, since all CPUs get bottlenecked, even the high-end ones, by the GPU. You can save up more money later and replace the CPU, which will let your GPU perform to its potential, since the CPU ain't that crappy anymore.

it seems it is out of your budget to upgrade the CPU for #3 for now anyway...

PS: What operating system?


DUDE....................

UPDATE!!!
UPDATE
UPDATE

I GOT THE BUJGET INCREASED, THE MODIFIED NEW CHOISES ARE WELL:

1)E5200 (Dual core) paired with XFX 512mb GTX250 "CORE edition"
2)E7400(Core2duo) paired with -SAME- 9800GT
3)Q8200(Core2quad)paired with -SAME- 9600gt
ALL WITH 1GB @800 initially

*-NEW-4)XBOX360 ARCADE/JASPER/NTSC-J paired with 19" LCD(saves $120)

!!!NOTE:
1->> I HAVE 16"WS LCD initially @1366x768 (DO I CONCENTRATE ON GPU OR CPU intensive????

2->>THE BOARD I AM GONA USE IS ASUS "P5KPL-CM" WITH PCI-X16 CAPABILITY NOT PCI-e 2.0!!

3)->>GONA USE COOLER MASTER eXtreme series 460watts PSU!

ALL THESE FACTORS COUNTS GREATLY ON TH CHOISE. PLEASE ADVICE AND ALSO TH """BOTTLE NECKING FACTOR'""" (WHICH I AM NOT FULLY AWARE OF)
May 14, 2009 10:01:31 AM

ok, let's see...

For clarification, that GTS250 is actually an rebranded 9800GTX+, same guts and all, and sports 128 shader processors...

and, that 9800GT is not too bad, only 12 shaders less, 112 shader processors... basically a stripped down GTX... but not too much weaker than GTX version.


the 9600 comes with "only" 64 shader processors, which obviously makes it the weakest of all.


The E5200 is at 2.5 GHZ, 2 MB of L2, and an 800mhz FSB...

E7400 is at 2.8 GHZ, 3 MB of L2, and an 1066mhz FSB...

and, the Q8200:
Operating Frequency 2.33GHz
FSB 1333MHz
L2 Cache 4MB


by bottlenecking, it's basically if you have a really crappy CPU, it cannot feed the GPU fast enough, thus limiting the full potential of the GPU itself and vice versa. IT's a good idea to get equally good parts, since they will all match to each other evenly.

And, You can make do with choice #1, as that processor is okay, and won't bottleneck the GPU too much...

really, it's a matter of whether you want CPU power, GPU power, or better, a balance of both powers!
May 16, 2009 8:49:55 PM

Chronobodi said:
ok, let's see...

For clarification, that GTS250 is actually an rebranded 9800GTX+, same guts and all, and sports 128 shader processors...

and, that 9800GT is not too bad, only 12 shaders less, 112 shader processors... basically a stripped down GTX... but not too much weaker than GTX version.


the 9600 comes with "only" 64 shader processors, which obviously makes it the weakest of all.


The E5200 is at 2.5 GHZ, 2 MB of L2, and an 800mhz FSB...

E7400 is at 2.8 GHZ, 3 MB of L2, and an 1066mhz FSB...

and, the Q8200:
Operating Frequency 2.33GHz
FSB 1333MHz
L2 Cache 4MB


by bottlenecking, it's basically if you have a really crappy CPU, it cannot feed the GPU fast enough, thus limiting the full potential of the GPU itself and vice versa. IT's a good idea to get equally good parts, since they will all match to each other evenly.

And, You can make do with choice #1, as that processor is okay, and won't bottleneck the GPU too much...

really, it's a matter of whether you want CPU power, GPU power, or better, a balance of both powers!

Quote:
**NEW-4)XBOX360 ARCADE/JASPER/NTSC-J paired with 19" LCD(saves $120)

!!!NOTE:
1->> I HAVE 16"WS LCD initially @1366x768 (DO I CONCENTRATE ON GPU OR CPU intensive????

2->>THE BOARD I AM GONA USE IS ASUS "P5KPL-CM" WITH PCI-X16 CAPABILITY NOT PCI-e 2.0!!

3)->>GONA USE COOLER MASTER eXtreme series 460watts PSU!

ALL THESE FACTORS COUNTS GREATLY ON TH CHOISE. PLEASE ADVICE AND


THANKS FOR THE WORTHY INFO BUT PLEASE COMMENT ON THIS 2............. :D 
May 16, 2009 10:08:23 PM

Quote :

**NEW-4)XBOX360 ARCADE/JASPER/NTSC-J paired with 19" LCD(saves $120)

!!!NOTE:
1->> I HAVE 16"WS LCD initially @1366x768 (DO I CONCENTRATE ON GPU OR CPU intensive????

2->>THE BOARD I AM GONA USE IS ASUS "P5KPL-CM" WITH PCI-X16 CAPABILITY NOT PCI-e 2.0!!

3)->>GONA USE COOLER MASTER eXtreme series 460watts PSU!

ALL THESE FACTORS COUNTS GREATLY ON TH CHOISE. PLEASE ADVICE AND



THANKS FOR THE WORTHY INFO BUT PLEASE COMMENT ON THIS 2............. :D 
Reply to xXXMK_DEATHANGELXXxx Revove from the list of quoted messages Add to the list of quoted messages

what's the resolution of the 19in screen? its resolution could be higher than the 16 in.
otherwise, the 1366x768 "16in" screen is fine, as that resolution is not very high, nor is it very low, right in the perfect spot between the crappy low-def and the high-def.
however, if your 19 in monitor has the really High Def resolutions like 1920x1080 or god forbid, 2500x1600, you're going to need a card with memory higher than 512.

The mobo you mention, with the PCIx16 version 1, is basically this: version 1 can do 250 MB per second, while version 2 can do 500 MB per second. However, that doesn't really matter for the cards you mentioned, this only applies to the higher end cards, which the ones you mentioned isn't.

your power supply has enough watts to power one card, but the real question is, how many amps on the +12v rails? That is more important than wattage, because to put it this way:

Say there's a 600 watt beast, but can only do 15 A on the rail..

versus a 550 Watt with 20 A on the rail...

Now, the beefy cards like the GTX 280 (15 amps required) and 295 (requires 18 amps) which means the GTX 295 actually can run better on the 55o watt than the 600 watt.

The Amps matter here, not the wattage. The wattage is only for how many devices you will power, like HDDs, dvd drives, etc...
As long as you don't go crazy and put in 4 HDDs and 5 dvd drives, you can power a high-end card with a low-watt but high-amps power supply.

However, a high-watt and high-amps power supply is always good!
May 22, 2009 12:21:06 PM

Chronobodi said:
Quote :

**NEW-4)XBOX360 ARCADE/JASPER/NTSC-J paired with 19" LCD(saves $120)

!!!NOTE:
1->> I HAVE 16"WS LCD initially @1366x768 (DO I CONCENTRATE ON GPU OR CPU intensive????

2->>THE BOARD I AM GONA USE IS ASUS "P5KPL-CM" WITH PCI-X16 CAPABILITY NOT PCI-e 2.0!!

3)->>GONA USE COOLER MASTER eXtreme series 460watts PSU!

ALL THESE FACTORS COUNTS GREATLY ON TH CHOISE. PLEASE ADVICE AND



THANKS FOR THE WORTHY INFO BUT PLEASE COMMENT ON THIS 2............. :D 
Reply to xXXMK_DEATHANGELXXxx Revove from the list of quoted messages Add to the list of quoted messages

what's the resolution of the 19in screen? its resolution could be higher than the 16 in.
otherwise, the 1366x768 "16in" screen is fine, as that resolution is not very high, nor is it very low, right in the perfect spot between the crappy low-def and the high-def.
however, if your 19 in monitor has the really High Def resolutions like 1920x1080 or god forbid, 2500x1600, you're going to need a card with memory higher than 512.

The mobo you mention, with the PCIx16 version 1, is basically this: version 1 can do 250 MB per second, while version 2 can do 500 MB per second. However, that doesn't really matter for the cards you mentioned, this only applies to the higher end cards, which the ones you mentioned isn't.

your power supply has enough watts to power one card, but the real question is, how many amps on the +12v rails? That is more important than wattage, because to put it this way:

Say there's a 600 watt beast, but can only do 15 A on the rail..

versus a 550 Watt with 20 A on the rail...

Now, the beefy cards like the GTX 280 (15 amps required) and 295 (requires 18 amps) which means the GTX 295 actually can run better on the 55o watt than the 600 watt.

The Amps matter here, not the wattage. The wattage is only for how many devices you will power, like HDDs, dvd drives, etc...
As long as you don't go crazy and put in 4 HDDs and 5 dvd drives, you can power a high-end card with a low-watt but high-amps power supply.

However, a high-watt and high-amps power supply is always good!



OKay now....
i think i shud go for "2". now...

1)i face constant power faiures at my location and i dont want the PC's performance and hdd to corroded away.... i must also opt for a UPS so....
can u please refer the minimum most PSU that runs 9800gt gud so thet the 600va->>360watts UPS can lift the pc up... problems problems problem...s sorry..... ;) 

2)usually i am able to get res: fixed at 1366x768 normally on windows menu
but games do not offer the res(1366), usually they offer standard res:... my question here is that after 9800GT would it get the games support my LCD res (1366)? a bit confused :p  .

thanks again
May 23, 2009 4:10:26 PM

1. (straight from newegg)
Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 26 Amp Amps.)
An available 6 pin PCI-E power connector (hard drive power dongle to PCI-E 6 pin adapter included with card)

2. Any graphic card can support any resolutions, but, some games don't take the 1366-768 resolutions, but you can force them... by adding this: -xres 1366 yres 768 to the "Shortcut" target line of whatever games you're playing.
May 27, 2009 6:44:59 PM

thats a gr8 info budy..

regarding query 1>> would that 400w or an ASUS 450W(100%) effeciency or CM 460eXt(70%) >>> would that amount of power b lift up by a 600VA->350W UPS??
June 24, 2009 10:07:26 PM

Chronobodi said:
1. (straight from newegg)
Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 26 Amp Amps.)
An available 6 pin PCI-E power connector (hard drive power dongle to PCI-E 6 pin adapter included with card)

2. Any graphic card can support any resolutions, but, some games don't take the 1366-768 resolutions, but you can force them... by adding this: -xres 1366 yres 768 to the "Shortcut" target line of whatever games you're playing.

=====================================================================================

THANKS FOR YOUR BRILIANT SUPPORT AND ADVICES, TODAY AFTER JUST A FEW HOURS I WILL BE AT THE STORE, IT REALLY FEELS GREAT, JUST WAN'T TO SHOW U THE FINNAL SELECTION I HAVE MADE:

initially:
->E7400
->P5QPL-AM
->Corsair 1GB Xtreme performance mem @800fsb
->320gb Seagat 16MB Cache SATAII
->ASUS VENTO TA85 Case with 400W PSU (280W really)
--=>then wait for HD4770 to arrive on stores and update.

final issues:

MOBO>> 1>>Finally what do u prefer for gaming guy ""(don't OC) (want really cool and reliable mobo)"". should i GO with Intel or ASUS??? (Intel DG43-NB is having PCI-Xpress 2.0 and G43 in comparision with ASUS P5QPL-AM PCI-X 1.1 and G41 ""WITH JUST A $12 more for Intel DG43-NB).

2>>Going for P5QPL-AM (http://ae.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=801&l4=0...)
from previous P5KPL-CM (http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=206...)
just because of the feature (VRM 5000hrs) Solid capacitor BECAUSE MY LOCATION IS REALLY HOT. DO YOU THINK IT'S """REALLY""" BETTER AND EFFECTIVE OR NOTHING (FOR THIS FEATURE ONLY I AM SPENDING 25$ MORE) and whether the G41 Graphics is better for initiall gaming then G31(GTA4).??

PLEASE REPLY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, JUST A FEW HOUR LEFT AND I AM REALLY WORRIED YET DESPERATE, THANKS A ZILLIONS"
June 24, 2009 10:10:15 PM

initially:
->E7400
->P5QPL-AM
->Corsair 1GB Xtreme performance mem @800fsb
->320gb Seagat 16MB Cache SATAII
->ASUS VENTO TA85 Case with 400W PSU (280W really)
--=>then wait for HD4770 to arrive on stores and update.

final issues:

MOBO>> 1>>Finally what do u prefer for gaming guy ""(don't OC) (want really cool and reliable mobo)"". should i GO with Intel or ASUS??? (Intel DG43-NB is having PCI-Xpress 2.0 and G43 in comparision with ASUS P5QPL-AM PCI-X 1.1 and G41 ""WITH JUST A $12 more for Intel DG43-NB).

2>>Going for P5QPL-AM (http://ae.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=801&l4=0...)
from previous P5KPL-CM (http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=206...)
just because of the feature (VRM 5000hrs) Solid capacitor BECAUSE MY LOCATION IS REALLY HOT. DO YOU THINK IT'S """REALLY""" BETTER AND EFFECTIVE OR NOTHING (FOR THIS FEATURE ONLY I AM SPENDING 25$ MORE) and whether the G41 Graphics is better for initiall gaming then G31(GTA4).??

PLEASE REPLY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, JUST A FEW HOUR LEFT AND I AM REALLY WORRIED YET DESPERATE, THANKS A ZILLIONS"
June 24, 2009 10:24:43 PM

"""""""PLEASE ALL DUDES REPLY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE FOR THE ABOVE QUERY!!!"""""
THANKSH""
July 9, 2009 5:31:33 PM

Chronobodi said:
1. (straight from newegg)
Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 26 Amp Amps.)
An available 6 pin PCI-E power connector (hard drive power dongle to PCI-E 6 pin adapter included with card)

2. Any graphic card can support any resolutions, but, some games don't take the 1366-768 resolutions, but you can force them... by adding this: -xres 1366 yres 768 to the "Shortcut" target line of whatever games you're playing.




THANKX FOR UR BRILIANT SUPPORT BUDY, I V'E BOUGHT THE PC ATLAST!!. sigh!

e7400, Intel DG31PR, 1GB Kingston @800, half TB hdd, NO GPU (now), DVD W SATA.

1-there is a new bird around which is upcoming namely HD4770 is it worth investing in or 9800gt is fine.

2-what's better P5KPL-CM vs Dg31PR, my decision changed at last moment when galaxy said we recomend intel over the asus because of better warranty support so i bought it, and it is working really fine too, but someone said that asus is good for cooling as well as tackling the power failure (constant at my location) intel one is more costly than asus, what do u think is intel worth replacing asus or intel is fine.

3- :pt1cable:  one more thing..... budy i had a P4 HT 2.8 Ghz (w/o gpu) before, i don't understand waht was it all about becasue frankly speaking i didn''t notice a MUCH difference as c2d 2.8ghz and windows operation seems identical but games have little better performance NOT AS I SUPPOSED (without GPU) initially... waht do u think is prob

pls reply asap. thanks






Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
October 26, 2009 5:37:31 PM

xXXMK_DEATHANGELXXxx said:


THANKX FOR UR BRILIANT SUPPORT BUDY, I V'E BOUGHT THE PC ATLAST!!. sigh!

e7400, Intel DG31PR, 1GB Kingston @800, half TB hdd, NO GPU (now), DVD W SATA.

1-there is a new bird around which is upcoming namely HD4770 is it worth investing in or 9800gt is fine.

2-what's better P5KPL-CM vs Dg31PR, my decision changed at last moment when galaxy said we recomend intel over the asus because of better warranty support so i bought it, and it is working really fine too, but someone said that asus is good for cooling as well as tackling the power failure (constant at my location) intel one is more costly than asus, what do u think is intel worth replacing asus or intel is fine.

3- :pt1cable:  one more thing..... budy i had a P4 HT 2.8 Ghz (w/o gpu) before, i don't understand waht was it all about becasue frankly speaking i didn''t notice a MUCH difference as c2d 2.8ghz and windows operation seems identical but games have little better performance NOT AS I SUPPOSED (without GPU) initially... waht do u think is prob

pls reply asap. thanks



GOOD DAY FOR YOU MR. SPECS PROBLEMATIC! IM A SENIOR COMPUTER TECHNICIAN FROM PHIL. AND I HAVE BEEN IN THIS PROFFESSION FOR 8 YEARS! YOU KNOW WHATS YOUR PROBLEM IS? YOUR SO CONFUSED ABOUT THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE ISSUES ABOUT - PROCESSOR, VIDEOCARD AND MEMORY. YOU KNOW I HAVE SET UP A LOT OF GAMING CAFES! AND I COULD HELP YOU ABOUT THIS MATTER! FIRST CHOOSE A MOBO! YOU SAID YOU WILL NOT O.C. SO GO WITH AN INTEL MOBO! CHOOSE DG41TY OR DG41RQ, NEXT THE PROCESSOR- GO FOR Q8200! OR IF YOU DONT HAVE MUCH BUDGET GO WITH CORE2DUO. DUAL IS TOO FAR BEHIND I DONT SUGGEST IT! THINK FOR MORE YEARS YOU WILL USE IT! NEXT IS THE GPU! YOU CHOOSE 9600GT OR 9800GT! 95OOGT IS ONLY 128 BIT AND HAVE 32 STREAMS PROCESSORS WHILE 9600 & 9800GT IS 256 BIT HAVING 64 STREAMS PROCCESSOR! ITS 3 TIMES MORE FASTER THAN 9500GT! YOU MUST FOCUS ON IT COZ YOUR GOING TO BUILT A GAMING MACHINE! SIMPLE AS THAT! REMEMBER ASUS MOBO GOT A LOT OF PROBLEM ISSUES ABOUT PSU AND MEMORY COMPATIBILITY! IF YOU DONT LIKE INTEL MOBO GO WITH GIGABYTE! ITS MUCH MORE STABLE! I ALREADY HAVE A LOT PROBLEMS WITH ASUS MOBO! SO DONT TRY IT! IM SAYING THIS COZ I GOT A LOT OF EXPERIENCE IN BUILDING A GAMING PC!
October 26, 2009 6:17:23 PM

my own belief is that cpu processing power may be more important for intelligent strategy games, since the power of the cpu may have some effect in how smart the AI is. However if you prefer more graphical games (e.g. first person shooters) then gpu could be more important.
December 1, 2009 3:44:43 PM

Quote:
GOOD DAY FOR YOU MR. SPECS PROBLEMATIC! IM A SENIOR COMPUTER TECHNICIAN FROM PHIL. AND I HAVE BEEN IN THIS PROFFESSION FOR 8 YEARS! YOU KNOW WHATS YOUR PROBLEM IS? YOUR SO CONFUSED ABOUT THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE ISSUES ABOUT - PROCESSOR, VIDEOCARD AND MEMORY. YOU KNOW I HAVE SET UP A LOT OF GAMING CAFES! AND I COULD HELP YOU ABOUT THIS MATTER! FIRST CHOOSE A MOBO! YOU SAID YOU WILL NOT O.C. SO GO WITH AN INTEL MOBO! CHOOSE DG41TY OR DG41RQ, NEXT THE PROCESSOR- GO FOR Q8200! OR IF YOU DONT HAVE MUCH BUDGET GO WITH CORE2DUO. DUAL IS TOO FAR BEHIND I DONT SUGGEST IT! THINK FOR MORE YEARS YOU WILL USE IT! NEXT IS THE GPU! YOU CHOOSE 9600GT OR 9800GT! 95OOGT IS ONLY 128 BIT AND HAVE 32 STREAMS PROCESSORS WHILE 9600 & 9800GT IS 256 BIT HAVING 64 STREAMS PROCCESSOR! ITS 3 TIMES MORE FASTER THAN 9500GT! YOU MUST FOCUS ON IT COZ YOUR GOING TO BUILT A GAMING MACHINE! SIMPLE AS THAT! REMEMBER ASUS MOBO GOT A LOT OF PROBLEM ISSUES ABOUT PSU AND MEMORY COMPATIBILITY! IF YOU DONT LIKE INTEL MOBO GO WITH GIGABYTE! ITS MUCH MORE STABLE! I ALREADY HAVE A LOT PROBLEMS WITH ASUS MOBO! SO DONT TRY IT! IM SAYING THIS COZ I GOT A LOT OF EXPERIENCE IN BUILDING A GAMING PC!


:hello:  i'd like 2 thank u 4 ur support boss, since the post is quite old so as the matter.currently i have encountered 2 scenerios

1)- i was planning 2 buy another pc with the specs: dg41rq,e7500,cm eXtreme power "plus" 500w psu, xms2 1gb 800fsb(initially)...... now the choice is b/w the gpu's i have choises of the following:
-XFX GTS250 512MB($146)
-XFX HD4770 512MB($128)*beSt bang 4 buck
-XFX HD4870 1GB ($174)*personally attrative as per reallly hyperspecs :sol:  .

what is the best card 4 buck, performance, future, reliability?

2) at my locale pirated games are available only therefore MOST of them obviously encounter unexpected problems which upsets me aLOT :cry:  like:
-unexpectedly game crashes (worst) :ouch: 
-crack not working (so game ai'nt stating) :pt1cable: 
-harddrive and hardware damage due 2 frequent power outages :(  (corrupts files too)
-poor/slow gaming performance (exeptionally on hyperCrysis setings)
-unexpectedly windows corrupt and system(windows failiures)!!! :ouch: 
-incomplete games (no ROADS in gta 4!!!! :??:  )

so i was having a thought about buying xbox360 pal arcade alone which is approx 40% cheaper than the pc of above specs and made for plaY :na:  , which is my soul goal (i have a p4 pc too to watch my back) but offcourse it has it's own problem like RROD and soon END... num num num

so what ever u think (apart of me being so COnfSed) pls reply.
whether i should buy the "pc or x360", if pc then pls do tell about the card choice. (please remeber i am on a low budget because still a student therefore CAN'T buy um' both..... :D ).

waiting for intellegent' replies.... thaNKS again :hello: 
December 1, 2009 3:53:26 PM

an important line- i like strategy games more but like new hit titles as well no matter of which FACTION ,and pls pls do not ConFuse me more between both by saying... "both are equally important in different scenarios" and things like dat, because at the end of the day the final choice is just ""1"" what is the BEST...
!