Polling For Mail With OE Disconnects Me from Net

This one is really puzzling me, I thought it was a coincidence at first,
but, it's too regular. I run MailWasher and OE, I can poll for mail with
MailWsaher for hours, but, as soon as I try to use OE to download or upload
mail the dial up box comes up and I notice that the icon on the System Tray
indicates I am disconnected. I'm connected via 512 Mb ADSL modem so
shouldn't be being timed out, I haven't got "Disconnected after x mins of
inactivity" or "Disconnect when not needed" checked so I don't see why this
should be happening. Could it be some setting with the XP firewall? If not
then anyone else had this problem and know how to solve it. Strange how it
never happens with MailWasher or IE, only with OE.

Rob
9 answers Last reply
More about polling mail disconnects

    How about in OE's Scanning Mail dialog that says Disconnct When Finished?

    --

    Sorry, I've lost you. Where's that in Options, can't find it anywhere.

    Rob

    > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > How about in OE's Scanning Mail dialog that says Disconnct When Finished?
    >
    > --
    > >

    > Sorry, I've lost you. Where's that in Options, can't find it anywhere.
    >
    > Rob

    Ah, found it, it's on the Send/Receive pop up status panel. No, that isn't
    checked.

    Rob

    > "Canopus" <BNRAGMAOKKXT@spammotel.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    > > How about in OE's Scanning Mail dialog that says Disconnct When
    Finished?

    > > --
    > > >

    > > Sorry, I've lost you. Where's that in Options, can't find it anywhere.
    > >
    > > Rob
    > >

    > Ah, found it, it's on the Send/Receive pop up status panel. No, that
    isn't
    > checked.
    >
    > Rob

    Looking into it further I find:

    I can send mail as soon as I launch OE and not get disconnected.
    I can poll for mail with MailWasher and not get disconnected.
    The very second I attempt to poll for mail with OE my connection goes and I
    have to re-connect before I can receive.

    I've tried it with:
    Never dial a connection.
    Dial whenever a network connection is not present.
    Always dial my connection.

    and all give above results, loss of connection as soon as mail is polled,
    then after connecting polling mail goes ahead, but, next attempt looses
    connection again etc.

    I cannot find any other settings that could cause this to happen or stop
    happening...help!!!

    Rob

    Canopus wrote:
    > "Canopus" <BNRAGMAOKKXT@spammotel.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Canopus" <BNRAGMAOKKXT@spammotel.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
    >>> How about in OE's Scanning Mail dialog that says Disconnct When
    >>> Finished?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>>

    >>> Sorry, I've lost you. Where's that in Options, can't find it
    >>> anywhere.
    >>>
    >>> Rob
    >>>

    >> Ah, found it, it's on the Send/Receive pop up status panel. No,
    >> that isn't checked.
    >>
    >> Rob
    >>

    > Looking into it further I find:
    >
    > I can send mail as soon as I launch OE and not get disconnected.
    > I can poll for mail with MailWasher and not get disconnected.
    > The very second I attempt to poll for mail with OE my connection goes
    > and I have to re-connect before I can receive.
    >
    > I've tried it with:
    > Never dial a connection.
    > Dial whenever a network connection is not present.
    > Always dial my connection.
    >
    > and all give above results, loss of connection as soon as mail is
    > polled, then after connecting polling mail goes ahead, but, next
    > attempt looses connection again etc.
    >
    > I cannot find any other settings that could cause this to happen or
    > stop happening...help!!!
    >
    > Rob

    "Never dial a connection" is correct.
    Tools>options>connections>hang up after sending and receiving - uncheck!

    --
    Kath Adams
    MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

    "Kath Adams" <kathadams@(nospam)mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Canopus wrote:
    > > "Canopus" <BNRAGMAOKKXT@spammotel.com> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "Canopus" <BNRAGMAOKKXT@spammotel.com> wrote in message

    > >> Ah, found it, it's on the Send/Receive pop up status panel. No,
    > >> that isn't checked.
    > >>
    > >> Rob
    > >>

    > > Looking into it further I find:
    > >
    > > I can send mail as soon as I launch OE and not get disconnected.
    > > I can poll for mail with MailWasher and not get disconnected.
    > > The very second I attempt to poll for mail with OE my connection goes
    > > and I have to re-connect before I can receive.
    > >
    > > I've tried it with:
    > > Never dial a connection.
    > > Dial whenever a network connection is not present.
    > > Always dial my connection.
    > >
    > > and all give above results, loss of connection as soon as mail is
    > > polled, then after connecting polling mail goes ahead, but, next
    > > attempt looses connection again etc.
    > >
    > > I cannot find any other settings that could cause this to happen or
    > > stop happening...help!!!
    > >
    > > Rob
    >
    > "Never dial a connection" is correct.
    > Tools>options>connections>hang up after sending and receiving - uncheck!
    >
    > --
    > Kath Adams
    > MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)
    > In memory of Alex Nichol

    I have "Never dial a connection" checked
    I have "Hang up after sending/receiving" unchecked.
    Connection is still lost at the moment I poll for mail through OE...not
    after polling for mail.
    Now I notice if I attempt to send a mail by choosing Send (not Send/Receive)
    I am being disconnected and have to re-connect before it sends.

    All this started happening after I downloaded all the security patches for
    XP including the two major patches for OE. I'm beginning to wonder if it
    could be due to one of them, may be the cumulative patch for OE as this
    behavior is only being seen in OE.

    Rob

    > All this started happening after I downloaded all the security patches for
    > XP including the two major patches for OE. I'm beginning to wonder if it
    > could be due to one of them, may be the cumulative patch for OE as this
    > behavior is only being seen in OE.
    >
    > Rob

    PS. I seem to be able to send posts to newsgroups with OE without being
    disconnected. Why the difference?

    Rob

    Canopus wrote:
    <snip>
    > All this started happening after I downloaded all the security patches for
    > XP including the two major patches for OE. I'm beginning to wonder if it
    > could be due to one of them, may be the cumulative patch for OE as this
    > behavior is only being seen in OE.

    Your current Identity may be damaged, especially if its the default Main
    Identity. Try one or more of your accounts in a new Named Identity
    (File>Identities>Add new identity). Assuming all is well, import messages
    from the old Identity before deleting it (File>Identities>Manage
    Identities).

    To avoid such corruption in future:

    Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
    folders created for this purpose.

    Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

    Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
    compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
    http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.

    Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
    corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
    --
    OE6-specific newsgroup:

    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP

    In Memoriam, MVP Alex Nichol (1935-2005)

    "PA Bear"

    > Your current Identity may be damaged, especially if its the default Main
    > Identity. Try one or more of your accounts in a new Named Identity
    > (File>Identities>Add new identity). Assuming all is well, import messages
    > from the old Identity before deleting it (File>Identities>Manage
    > Identities).

    Issue solved thanks. The solution was:

    Click the "Tools" menu then select "Accounts"
    Select the "Mail" tab

    Selecting each account in turn:
    click "Properties", then "Connection"
    Ensure "Always connect to this account using:" is unticked

    Well all accounts had that ticked and the network connection box underneath
    was blank so OE couldn't figure out what to connect with even though I have
    only one network connection. Typical example of Windoze and one up to
    MailWasher that uses the same configuration, but, didn't get confused.

    Rob

Connection Dial Up Connection Windows XP