Polling For Mail With OE Disconnects Me from Net

March 14, 2005 3:33:00 PM

This one is really puzzling me, I thought it was a coincidence at first,
but, it's too regular. I run MailWasher and OE, I can poll for mail with
MailWsaher for hours, but, as soon as I try to use OE to download or upload
mail the dial up box comes up and I notice that the icon on the System Tray
indicates I am disconnected. I'm connected via 512 Mb ADSL modem so
shouldn't be being timed out, I haven't got "Disconnected after x mins of
inactivity" or "Disconnect when not needed" checked so I don't see why this
should be happening. Could it be some setting with the XP firewall? If not
then anyone else had this problem and know how to solve it. Strange how it
never happens with MailWasher or IE, only with OE.

Rob
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 2:54:14 AM

How about in OE's Scanning Mail dialog that says Disconnct When Finished?

"Canopus" <BNRAGMAOKKXT@spammotel.com> wrote in message news:39lek2F62js55U1@individual.net...
> This one is really puzzling me, I thought it was a coincidence at first,
> but, it's too regular. I run MailWasher and OE, I can poll for mail with
> MailWsaher for hours, but, as soon as I try to use OE to download or upload
> mail the dial up box comes up and I notice that the icon on the System Tray
> indicates I am disconnected. I'm connected via 512 Mb ADSL modem so
> shouldn't be being timed out, I haven't got "Disconnected after x mins of
> inactivity" or "Disconnect when not needed" checked so I don't see why this
> should be happening. Could it be some setting with the XP firewall? If not
> then anyone else had this problem and know how to solve it. Strange how it
> never happens with MailWasher or IE, only with OE.
>
> Rob

Anonymous
March 15, 2005 2:54:15 AM

--

Sorry, I've lost you. Where's that in Options, can't find it anywhere.

Rob
March 15, 2005 2:54:16 AM

> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> How about in OE's Scanning Mail dialog that says Disconnct When Finished?
>
> --
> >

> Sorry, I've lost you. Where's that in Options, can't find it anywhere.
>
> Rob

Ah, found it, it's on the Send/Receive pop up status panel. No, that isn't
checked.

Rob
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 2:54:17 AM

> "Canopus" <BNRAGMAOKKXT@spammotel.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> > How about in OE's Scanning Mail dialog that says Disconnct When
Finished?

> > --
> > >

> > Sorry, I've lost you. Where's that in Options, can't find it anywhere.
> >
> > Rob
> >

> Ah, found it, it's on the Send/Receive pop up status panel. No, that
isn't
> checked.
>
> Rob

Looking into it further I find:

I can send mail as soon as I launch OE and not get disconnected.
I can poll for mail with MailWasher and not get disconnected.
The very second I attempt to poll for mail with OE my connection goes and I
have to re-connect before I can receive.

I've tried it with:
Never dial a connection.
Dial whenever a network connection is not present.
Always dial my connection.

and all give above results, loss of connection as soon as mail is polled,
then after connecting polling mail goes ahead, but, next attempt looses
connection again etc.

I cannot find any other settings that could cause this to happen or stop
happening...help!!!

Rob
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 2:54:18 AM

Canopus wrote:
> "Canopus" <BNRAGMAOKKXT@spammotel.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Canopus" <BNRAGMAOKKXT@spammotel.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
>>> How about in OE's Scanning Mail dialog that says Disconnct When
>>> Finished?
>>>
>>> --
>>>>

>>> Sorry, I've lost you. Where's that in Options, can't find it
>>> anywhere.
>>>
>>> Rob
>>>

>> Ah, found it, it's on the Send/Receive pop up status panel. No,
>> that isn't checked.
>>
>> Rob
>>

> Looking into it further I find:
>
> I can send mail as soon as I launch OE and not get disconnected.
> I can poll for mail with MailWasher and not get disconnected.
> The very second I attempt to poll for mail with OE my connection goes
> and I have to re-connect before I can receive.
>
> I've tried it with:
> Never dial a connection.
> Dial whenever a network connection is not present.
> Always dial my connection.
>
> and all give above results, loss of connection as soon as mail is
> polled, then after connecting polling mail goes ahead, but, next
> attempt looses connection again etc.
>
> I cannot find any other settings that could cause this to happen or
> stop happening...help!!!
>
> Rob

"Never dial a connection" is correct.
Tools>options>connections>hang up after sending and receiving - uncheck!

--
Kath Adams
MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

"Kath Adams" <kathadams@(nospam)mvps.org> wrote in message
> Canopus wrote:
> > "Canopus" <BNRAGMAOKKXT@spammotel.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Canopus" <BNRAGMAOKKXT@spammotel.com> wrote in message

> >> Ah, found it, it's on the Send/Receive pop up status panel. No,
> >> that isn't checked.
> >>
> >> Rob
> >>

> > Looking into it further I find:
> >
> > I can send mail as soon as I launch OE and not get disconnected.
> > I can poll for mail with MailWasher and not get disconnected.
> > The very second I attempt to poll for mail with OE my connection goes
> > and I have to re-connect before I can receive.
> >
> > I've tried it with:
> > Never dial a connection.
> > Dial whenever a network connection is not present.
> > Always dial my connection.
> >
> > and all give above results, loss of connection as soon as mail is
> > polled, then after connecting polling mail goes ahead, but, next
> > attempt looses connection again etc.
> >
> > I cannot find any other settings that could cause this to happen or
> > stop happening...help!!!
> >
> > Rob
>
> "Never dial a connection" is correct.
> Tools>options>connections>hang up after sending and receiving - uncheck!
>
> --
> Kath Adams
> MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)
> In memory of Alex Nichol

I have "Never dial a connection" checked
I have "Hang up after sending/receiving" unchecked.
Connection is still lost at the moment I poll for mail through OE...not
after polling for mail.
Now I notice if I attempt to send a mail by choosing Send (not Send/Receive)
I am being disconnected and have to re-connect before it sends.

All this started happening after I downloaded all the security patches for
XP including the two major patches for OE. I'm beginning to wonder if it
could be due to one of them, may be the cumulative patch for OE as this
behavior is only being seen in OE.

Rob
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 2:54:20 AM

> All this started happening after I downloaded all the security patches for
> XP including the two major patches for OE. I'm beginning to wonder if it
> could be due to one of them, may be the cumulative patch for OE as this
> behavior is only being seen in OE.
>
> Rob

PS. I seem to be able to send posts to newsgroups with OE without being
disconnected. Why the difference?

Rob
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 2:54:20 AM

Canopus wrote:
<snip>
> All this started happening after I downloaded all the security patches for
> XP including the two major patches for OE. I'm beginning to wonder if it
> could be due to one of them, may be the cumulative patch for OE as this
> behavior is only being seen in OE.

Your current Identity may be damaged, especially if its the default Main
Identity. Try one or more of your accounts in a new Named Identity
(File>Identities>Add new identity). Assuming all is well, import messages
from the old Identity before deleting it (File>Identities>Manage
Identities).

To avoid such corruption in future:

Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm.

Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
--
OE6-specific newsgroup:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP

In Memoriam, MVP Alex Nichol (1935-2005)
March 15, 2005 2:35:31 PM

"PA Bear"

> Your current Identity may be damaged, especially if its the default Main
> Identity. Try one or more of your accounts in a new Named Identity
> (File>Identities>Add new identity). Assuming all is well, import messages
> from the old Identity before deleting it (File>Identities>Manage
> Identities).

Issue solved thanks. The solution was:

Click the "Tools" menu then select "Accounts"
Select the "Mail" tab

Selecting each account in turn:
click "Properties", then "Connection"
Ensure "Always connect to this account using:" is unticked

Well all accounts had that ticked and the network connection box underneath
was blank so OE couldn't figure out what to connect with even though I have
only one network connection. Typical example of Windoze and one up to
MailWasher that uses the same configuration, but, didn't get confused.

Rob
!